SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first off, I apologize for not getting these up sooner, I have been busy lately.

I visited the city of Brotherly Love for the first time ever on March 9-11 of this year, and I have to tell you, Philly absolutely blew me away. I had a great time here. I was in New York first, and I had a great time there, but Philly absolutely astounded me. I toured Center City, Old City, Washington Park, the Museum District, and the sports complex. I took the bus from New York to Philly on the Monday of that week, the 9th of March.

In case you missed the rest of my trip, here are the links:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I took so many pictures of Philadelphia I have decided to break it into several parts. Here is Part 4, the Franklin Institute Science Museum, Philadelphia's cultural area, sports complex, Wachovia Center, hockey game and more...

Images around Logan Square, a roundabout in Center City

Academy of Natural Sciences Building

Looking towards Center City and City Hall on Ben Franklin Parkway

Looking towards the renowned Philadelphia Art Gallery on Benjamin Franklin Parkway

Free Library of Philadelphia

Franklin Institute Science Museum, one of the oldest science museums in the United States. Built in 1934.

Moore College of Art, with Center City in the background...

Inside the Franklin Institute....

One of the coolest ball "machines" I have even seen...

Sports room

Here's to hoping one day, the Philadelphia Eagles will win that first SUPER BOWL Championship!

Golf Balls were made of wood at one time, WTF?

Ben Franklin Statue in the main lobby of the Franklin Institute...

Space...

Scopes...

Engines and Machinery...

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles...

The biggest beating heart I have ever seen...

Hearts come in many shapes and sizes, dependent on what living there you are...

Blood cells!!!

The history of Ben Franklin and Electricity!!!

Back outside... we go...

The world-famous Philadelphia Museum of Art, built in 1919 by Architect Horace Trumbauer, later became famous for scenes from the movie, Rocky in 1976...

Skyline from the Art Gallery

Rocky Statue

Residential Area called Fairmount...

St. Francis Xavier Church, constructed 1839

Cathedral Basilica of St. Peter and St. Paul, built from 1846-1864.

City Center scenes

Comcast center, looking up...

After taking the Broad Street subway to the Sports Complex...

Wachovia Spectrum, former home of the Philadelphia Flyers NHL team and 76ers NBA basketball team. Built in 1966 and slated to close in September 2009 and eventually be demolished to make way for a theatre/shopping complex.

Citizens Bank Park, home of the 2008 World Series Champions, Philadelphia Phillies

Philadelphia skyline, from the parking lot of Citizens Bank Park...

Lincoln Memorial Field, home of the soon-to-be 2010 Super Bowl Champions, Philadelphia Eagles (!!)

Wachovia Center, current home of the Philadelphia Flyers and 76ers. Awesome Arena.

No trip to Philly is complete without trying an authentic cheesesteak!

This is the Talk to the Town restaurant. Rumoured to have the best cheesesteaks in Philadelphia, and I don't doubt it. Best cheesesteak I have ever head.

After meeting up with Matt, took some pictures inside the Wachovia Center...

Yes, a few Sabres fans were in attendance, as you see the guy with the Pominville jersey on... HAT TRICK display...

Mike Richards' first hat trick...

Keith Primeau's memorable hat trick in the 2003-04 Playoffs in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals. The Flyers REALLY should have won the Stanley Cup that year.

Flyers History Display and Memorabilia...

The Phillies brought the World Series trophy to the Wachovia Center, I had a chance to take a picture of it...

Inside the rink of the arena...

Jumbotron...

Flyers...

Sabres...

Ready for the opening faceoff!!!

Sabres scored early on Marty Biron, the Flyers fans were not too pleased...

1st period action...

Look, it's the PHILLIE PHANATIC!!! With the World Series Trophy... I always thought the RED phanatic could be the mascot of the Flyers...

The Phillie Phanatic on the Jumbotron

Late in the first, the Flyers score to tie it at 1! Buy me a drink and get Matt one too!

Now the Flyers fans are forgiving Biron, at the moment...

After no scoring in the second period, early in the third, Jeff Carter gives the Flyers the lead FOR GOOD...

Flyers Bench

Sabres Bench

Jeff Carter, 17 in the middle, he would have 2 goals this game, and record his 200th career goal this game!

Faceoff....

Guy dancing in the stands!!!

Flyers score again!!!

Biron doing his work, keeping the Sabres from getting within striking reach...

Flyers running away with this one, 4-1!

Another goal to make it 5-1!

A fight breaks out, something you'll almost always see at a game in Philly...

The Flyers would win this game by a score of 5-2!!

Championship Banners...

Stanley Cup Banners...

Hope you guys enjoyed Part 4! Part 5 is coming soon!

·
18,156 Posts
Nice pictures. I wasn't aware that you went to the Franklin Institute (now simply called "the Franklin", but it will always be the Franklin Institute to me). I haven't been there since I was a kid. I remember going inside that heart and seeing some other the other stuff pictured, like the fighter ket that you can go inside, and stuff not pictured, like th locomotive that you can go in and actually goes down a track inside the building. That statue of Ben Franklin is more recognizable to me than the Lincoln statue in the Lincoln Memorial. In fact, the first few times when I went to the Franklin Institute with my mom, I was confused as to why the Lincoln Memorial was in Philly and why the guy had a fatter face and a bald head.

I'm glad that you had fun at the Flyers game, even if the Sabres lost (good for me though, especially since the Flyers seem to do bad when I am in the building). We'll have to do that again some time. Who knows, maybe you'll get to see the Lombardi Trophy the next time. ;)

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ Really, interesting. Wonder if the homeless of Philadelphia took advantage of that, lol! Yeah, the Franklin Institute is cool!

Matt, thank you for getting those tickets and taking me to that game, I had a great time. I would love to come to Philadelphia and see another Flyers game. Glad they won it for you, since, as you said, they don't do well when you're in attendance. That changed that night, though. Sabres, meh, I was 50/50 on them.

Heck, maybe I could see a baseball/football game and see how really hardcore the great sports fans of Philadelphia are and experience the city in the summer/spring.

·
Banned
944 Posts
wow , I 'm actually playing NHL 08 and I have to say: this is awesome game!:cheers: It would be nice to see all venues in nature :nuts:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts