SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited the city of Brotherly Love for the first time ever on March 9-11 of this year, and I have to tell you, Philly absolutely blew me away. I had a great time here. I was in New York first, and I had a great time there, but Philly absolutely astounded me. I toured Center City, Old City, Washington Park, the Museum District, and the sports complex. I took the bus from New York to Philly on the Monday of that week, the 9th of March.

In case you missed the rest of my trip, here are the links:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I took so many pictures of Philadelphia I have decided to break it into several parts. Here is Part 5, taken on the Wednesday of my trip, it was raining in Philly that day, but that didn't stop me from taking pictures around the rest of Center City, including Rittenhouse Square and Washington Square, two of Philly's finest urban parks, and the historic Christ Church.

Rittenhouse Square

Urban Living at its finest

Church of the Holy Trinity, built in 1857..

Applebee's in Center City, nice building for an Applebee's... won't see many of them...

Washington Square...

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

More Urban Living at its finest here... believe this is Washington Square West

This shot I call the "Cosby Show" shot. BTW, Philadelphia is Bill Cosby's hometown!

Jeweller's Row in Center City

One final look at Independence Hall

Christ Church of Philadelphia, I walked in, met a very nice minister telling me the history of Philadelphia and he thought of it as an American version of Montreal. We even talked about how we hope the Eagles win the Super Bowl someday.... he also joked at how I was from Canada and a Sabres fan! LOL!

Inside the Christ Church... constructed in 1727-1744. Oldest building I have ever stepped in if I recall... was once the tallest building in the United States, until City Hall was built.

That concludes my 3 day journey of the city of Brotherly Love, hope you all enjoyed my pictures and thanks for looking!!!

·
18,174 Posts
Nice pictures. Washington Square and Old City are my favorite areas in Philly. Rittenhouse Square is very nice as well, obviously, but I like the colonial stuff a little bit more.

As much as I visit Philly, I have never been in Christ Church.

You took a ton of pictures while you were down here!

·
visit the world
8,134 Posts
nice to see these pictures (As is also the case with those other 4 parts).
2,5 weeks to go and them I am in Philly too (3/4/5/6 september) Can't wait to visit this city which really looks nice with als those historic, older buidlings and brick houses! I am staying in a hotel near Rittenhouse Square (radisson plaza warwick). From the looks of it, you can walk almost everything in Philly. I like the walk cities because then can see more, taste the atmosphere of a city and it citizins.
Other plus for me is that Philly does like its beers and lagers! :cheers:

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Very nice shots, I love Philadelphia's architecture.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
=)) For me, it's the prettiest part of the US...

It's a beautiful region!!

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Is the city worth a visit? Im hopefully going to be back packing across America in 2013 and Philadelphia was on my possibility list.

·
ScanTron
481 Posts
Is the city worth a visit? Im hopefully going to be back packing across America in 2013 and Philadelphia was on my possibility list.
Yes, Philly is worth a visit. It's a center of deep American history. Lots of shopping, restaurants, museums, and its very walkable. Probably the grittiest of major American cities, but totally unique.

·
Foodie
1,713 Posts
Visiting Philly this week. How to get to downtown from the airport? Thank you!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Lovely pics of Philadelphia. I've never visited, but I know I would love it. The beauty, history and grittiness put together look quite appealing.:)

·
Banned
88 Posts
Lovely pics of Philadelphia. I've never visited, but I know I would love it. The beauty, history and grittiness put together look quite appealing.:)
You would LOVE Philly right away. It has history and charm and a vibrant city life that Seattle will NEVER achieve!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts