SkyscraperCity banner

1401 - 1420 of 1806 Posts

·
City Of Brotherly Love
659 Posts
It is amazing how much the Philadelphia skyline has changed since the mid eighties. It is also kind of weird to think of that change in a city that is supposedly relatively stagnant and comparing it with the booming large cities of Texas, which in contrast with Philadelphia, their skylines has remained almost unchanged since the same time.

Of the top 20 tallest buildings in Philadelphia, only 7 were built before 1986, and of the top ten, ALL of them were built after 1986.

By contrast, in booming Houston, all but 3 of its 20 tallest buildings were built before 1986.

In Dallas, only 5 of the 20 tallest buildings were built in 1986 or after, with just one of them built after 1988.
You've got it wrong about Texas. The skylines of Texas have been transformed like crazy. It's height that is so far lacking. But the skylines of Dallas and Houston have spread out. Dallas' Uptown is a good example. Just twenty years ago it was empty. Today it is dense. Speaking of Dallas, a new tallest building has been proposed by Ross Perot Jr, who says he wants it to be the tallest west of the Mississippi River.
Let's recognize two facts about Philadelphia. #1 - Philly declined in the second half of the 20th Century ... losing more an 1/2 million in population! It was an industrial and manufacturing city and that economy disappeared (Philly once had the largest locomotive works in world, the largest shipyard in the world, etc.) #2 - as far as building heights go, we all know about the infamous "Gentleman's Agreement" that no building could be higher than "Billy Penn's hat" - the statue on top of City Hall.

The sunbelt cities grew, and Philly (and many other cities) declined.

No need to focus on Texas ... in fact Miami has a more impressive skyline than any city in Texas.

As far as a proposed skyscraper for Dallas that will be "the tallest west of the Mississippi" ... Philly's City Hall tower was in fact the tallest building in the entire world for about a year. It is still the tallest all masonry building in the world. Although some people will claim the 'spire' borders on cheating, the CTC building is considered the tallest skyscraper in the US outside of Chicago and NYC.

We have seen the blossoming of new skyscrapers in Philly - and other major construction projects such as capping the Vine Street and now the capping of a portion of I-95, the Schuykill River Walk, because Philly re-invented itself. No longer a manufacturing city it is now a world class city for "Eds/Meds/Tourism/Culture."

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Miami really does have an impressive skyline due to it's density and beautiful beach side scenery. It's definitely more impressive than Dallas and Philadelphia.

·
Hirise Piping Man
842 Posts
I wonder if those cooling towers sitting on the north setback are to remain there, or being placed elsewhere, does not look like the crane can get to them,
I would think them to be concealed, does anyone have an answer to this question ?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Ha, first I've heard that mentioned. I guess anything with a prominent pyramid can be called at least somewhat Egyptian influenced. But other than that, it's just a nice big office tower designed by Kohn Petersen Fox - NYC.
It's not just an office tower to me. It's one of the greatest examples of postmodern architecture. A true masterpiece.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder if those cooling towers sitting on the north setback are to remain there, or being placed elsewhere, does not look like the crane can get to them,
I would think them to be concealed, does anyone have an answer to this question ?
They will be placed in the base of the spire once it is constructed and the crane is jumped.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Correct^ they will be moved to top portion of building/spine/spire. the cooling towers will be encased, and then the illuminated lantern will rise above the cooling towers.
Basically like a big, giant chimney, with lantern sitting on top.

1401 - 1420 of 1806 Posts