·
Registered
194 Posts
damnn....

Well we're Movin' on Up!
Movin' on Up!
To the east side!
Movin' on Up!
To a dee-luxe apartment in the sky, We're movin' on up!
Movin' on Up!
To the east side!
Movin' on Up!
We've finally got a piece of the pie!

·
Registered
57 Posts
so.....about those new buildings. i don't know, but i feel an update coming on. i'll dole out the assignments and we'll hopefully compile something wonderful by the end of the week. we'll need some construction photos of the national at old city. comcast center photos aren't really necessary at this time, not much has happened. i'm going to need someone to brave columbus blvd and get waterfront square. the new apartments at 34th and chestnut is unseeable right now, but someone could take a picture of the walled of street if they feel compelled. someone get the penn dorm towers. get some avenue north shots and that of the new philadelphia school district administration building (both on broad street). and if symphony house is doing anything remotely intereing at this time, let us know. and also, 23 condominiums and there's a loft right next to the train tracks (u guys might know what i'm talking about). all right, take ur assignments and get crackin'

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Lol no one hates you. Its just that theres really nothing that exciting going on right now so people dont feel the need to post in here.

·
Registered
249 Posts
OK, here's one to get you excited:

801 Chestnut, 41 stories

801 Chestnut Street is a new, mixed-use high-rise development in the heart of downtown Philadelphia. Located in Center City, this 41-story tower will offer 300 new high-tech, luxury apartments with the desirable Washington Square location and views. Situated on a one-acre site, 801 Chestnut is the second development in the Philadelphia area for Clark Realty Capital, L.L.C. Amenities include a pool, a fully equipped fitness center, and a lounge on the seventh floor. Apartments feature 9-foot ceilings, floor-to-ceiling windows, and private terraces. The community is within walking distance of Independence Mall, City Hall, and a plethora of restaurants, theaters, and other entertainment options.

Address: 801 Chestnut Street
Developer: Clark Realty (of St James fame)
Architect: Brennan Beer Gorman
Completion: Sep 2009

Plus one I got of Cira Centre Monday afternoon:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just dont think 801 Chestnut gonna happen.... It's suppose to be part of that 8th & Market complex which included a Target. We havent heard anything in a yr from those developers...

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone have any new info on Mandeville Place ? what are the chances of seeing that building actually go up. it is awesome looking and is easily (or would be easily) the cities best looking skyscraper.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Philly named 'Next Great City'

Wednesday, September 28, 2005; Posted: 11:16 a.m. EDT (15:16 GMT)

An car drives along Chestnut Street past Independence Hall in Philadelphia.
Buy Urban Decay Products
Free shipping with $25 purchase. Act now, limited time only. Plus get 5% back in...
www.drugstore.com Buy Urban Decay Cosmetics at Sephora.com
Free shipping over $75, free gift packaging and free samples at Sephora. Find...
www.sephora.com Urban Decay at Shopping.com
Find, compare and buy products in categories ranging from cosmetics to personal...
www.shopping.com Urban Decay - Yahoo! Shopping
Search, compare, and save. Visit Yahoo! Shopping to compare products and prices...
shopping.yahoo.com

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS

Philadelphia (Pennsylvania)
Arts, Culture and Entertainment
Libraries and Museums
or Create Your Own
Manage Alerts | What Is This? PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Ask any Philadelphian what the city is known for and the response might be cheesesteak or that scene in "Rocky" when Sylvester Stallone runs up the art museum steps.

But the October issue of National Geographic Traveler says there are lots of other good things to eat in Philly -- and you should actually go inside the museum after goofing off outside.

The magazine delves beneath pop culture to reveal the historical, artistic and gastronomic layers of Philadelphia, a place it has christened America's "Next Great City."

"This is a city that has been greatly overlooked," said Keith Bellows, the magazine's editor-in-chief. "It's the last great opportunity for anyone who wants a terrific urban life in the Northeast."

Impressed by Philadelphia in recent visits, he had to convince his staff that the City of Brotherly Love would be the next hip metro area. "They kind of all looked at me like I had lost my marbles," Bellows said.

But he dispatched his contributing editor, Andrew Nelson, to find out for himself.

What the author said he discovered was a Philadelphia that's no longer the city of "gritty urban decay" portrayed in the Rocky Balboa saga, nor "D.C. on a bad hair day." Long in the shadow of New York City and the nation's capital, Philadelphia now can flick that supposed chip from its shoulder and stand tall on its own merits.

It's been a long time coming. While the city has plenty of history -- it's where the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were drafted, and it's home to the Liberty Bell -- urban decay had crept in as people fled to the suburbs in the 1970s.

That has turned around in a big way.

There's a condominium building boom downtown, where the number of restaurants -- highlighted by ventures from well-known restaurateurs Georges Perrier and Stephen Starr -- has tripled since 1992. And the magazine called the Old City area, with its vibrant arts and nightlife scene, the liveliest urban neighborhood between SoHo in New York and SoBe in Miami.

A walkable city that bridges the old and new, Philadelphia boasts stately 19th-century neighborhoods, the Champs Elysees-inspired Benjamin Franklin Parkway and, soon, wireless Internet access throughout its 135 square miles.

Such revitalization efforts, together with a marketing campaign and high-profile events such as the Live 8 concert, have put Philly back on the map, city officials said.

Since 2000, the number of visitors to the city has grown by 21 percent to 25.5 million, said Meryl Levitz, president and chief executive of the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corp.

But Bellows said the city's self-image still needs a little work: "Philly has a little bit of an underdog sense of itself and it doesn't even realize how great it is."

:) I thought you guys might find this interesting. Good news for Philly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeh, i heard about that article. its exciting for the city. and the murano has a real website about itself themuranocondominum.com. and i went to the navy shipyard (for the job), and if revitalization takes place there like is planned, it would be great. beautiful old buildings and new developments and parkspace. it could be a real destination thats for sure, and the proposed extension of the broad street subway would be a friggin windfall to that area. the weather was great today, i'm in a fantastic mood. talk to you fellow skyscrapercitzens later.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I hope all this acclaim bring more jobs! If we get that, watchout rest of the world!!!!

1 - 20 of 1020 Posts