Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new forumer, I'm appalled that Philly doesn't get the same exposure that New York, Chicago, DC, and LA get even though it outclasses them in every way. Also, Philly deserves a forum more than LA or Chicago does because it's more important to the U.S. than either one.

Well, to not make this post too long I'll give you 10 reasons why no other city holds half a candle to the City of Brotherly Love.

Philly is the best city for:

1) nightlife
2) arts and culture
3) history
4) walking and biking
5) quality of living
6) hospitals
7) tech start-ups and small businesses
8) food (you can argue all you want but everyone knows that Philly has the
best food in the entire country)
9) festivals and public events (New York must be butt-hurt that Jay-Z chose
Philly for his Made in America concert, suckers! Also, which city has the
largest 4th of July celebration?)
10)tolerance (it isn't called Brotherly Love for no reason! if you don't think
Philly is the most tolerant city in the U.S., check it out for yourself and
then talk)

Once you have lived in Philly the rest of the country is underwhelming.

Now let the discussion begin!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Aww....

I was expecting some pictures.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
As a new forumer, I'm appalled that Philly doesn't get the same exposure that New York, Chicago, DC, and LA get even though it outclasses them in every way. Also, Philly deserves a forum more than LA or Chicago does because it's more important to the U.S. than either one.

Well, to not make this post too long I'll give you 10 reasons why no other city holds half a candle to the City of Brotherly Love.

Philly is the best city for:

1) nightlife
2) arts and culture
3) history
4) walking and biking
5) quality of living
6) hospitals
7) tech start-ups and small businesses
8) food (you can argue all you want but everyone knows that Philly has the
best food in the entire country)
9) festivals and public events (New York must be butt-hurt that Jay-Z chose
Philly for his Made in America concert, suckers! Also, which city has the
largest 4th of July celebration?)
10)tolerance (it isn't called Brotherly Love for no reason! if you don't think
Philly is the most tolerant city in the U.S., check it out for yourself and
then talk)

Once you have lived in Philly the rest of the country is underwhelming.

Now let the discussion begin!
I like the zeal you have for Philly. I have been there several times. The Italian Market and South Street are fun. I also have done the tourist thing with visits to the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. The city also has an impressive skyline. With all that said, the moderators here at SSC, don't put up with to much city vs city. That is why your other thread was locked. As a new forum member, post often about Philly and stay positive, they don't like any personal attacks either. So, if someone pumps up NYC, DC, Miami, Baltimore or other cities, it's not a put down to the city you call home. When you make comparisons to NYC as you have, most members on this forum will more than likely ignore you. Bottom line, stay passionate, debate is allowed and keep people updated about the city.

·
Registered
698 Posts
As a new forumer
Who was banned from SSP for turning literally every. single. thread. he participated in into a "Philly rulez all other cities droolz" exercise in juvenile futility . . .

I'm appalled that Philly doesn't get the same exposure that New York, Chicago, DC, and LA get even though it outclasses them in every way. Also, Philly deserves a forum more than LA or Chicago does because it's more important to the U.S. than either one.
. . . right on cue.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Makes for good entertainment I guess. The Seattle comments in particular were hilarious.

If Philadelphia was my home I'd be pretty excited too! It is a fantastic city.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Geo_Lee,

I know how you feel about Philly. What are your next best cities? Can you give me 5 cities after Philly that you have seen, or would like to see?

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geo_Lee,

I know how you feel about Philly. What are your next best cities? Can you give me 5 cities after Philly that you have seen, or would like to see?
Well, Philly is a class above all cities in the U.S. Then next 5 best places that are several notches below are New York, Chicago, San Francisco, DC, and maybe LA. Even those 5 cities put together don't offer the quality Philly does.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Geo_Lee_2001: Good luck getting any one else to open any of your future threads after embarrassing yourself here. Learn to get real if you want anyone to care about what you are saying. Thanks.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^He is the supreme aristocrat of Philly and beyond.:bow::master:....Let them eat Tastycake..:eek:hno::nuts::eek:hno::nuts::eek:hno:
Let's see, other than Tastykake we have cheesesteak, hoagies, water ice, scrapple, pretzels, the best Italian cuisine in America, Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine, Philadelphia cream cheese, best beer in America, tons of ethnic options, and many more. It's people outside of Philly that consider it the #1 city for food, especially brunch.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Let's see, other than Tastykake we have cheesesteak, hoagies, water ice, scrapple, pretzels, the best Italian cuisine in America, Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine, Philadelphia cream cheese, best beer in America, tons of ethnic options, and many more. It's people outside of Philly that consider it the #1 city for food, especially brunch.
People in New Orleans, New York City, Memphis, Baltimore and Kansas City would disagree with you. All those cities, each are known for their cuisine and while I agree with you that Philly has good food, I also know for a fact those other places are equals. Tell me George, do you think Philly comes close to Baltimore in seafood? Do you think Philly comes close to Memphis or KC for bbq? If you take off your "I :heart: Philly" hat, you would tell the truth and say hell no!!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Whenever I describe Boston to people who haven't been there, I tell them it's like a cleaner, safer, nicer version of Philadelphia. I stand by that statement. I love Philadelphia, but in the grand scheme of things it's really not that amazing.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, Dzh22 I won't argue and I'll respect your opinion. But the reality is that Boston is an over-sized college town with some history. Other than that Boston isn't 1% as vibrant as Philly nor does it have the cultural offerings and business scene Philly has.

Here's an article I think speaks for itself:

May 15, 2014, 5:14pm EDT

Forget that 'brain drain' stuff; Philly is becoming a brain magnet

Philadelphia has seen the largest growth of young-adults of the 30 largest cities in the country, with approximately 100,000 20-34 year olds added to the city’s population between 2006 and 2013.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/blog/guest-comment/2014/05/forget-that-brain-drain-stuff-philly-is-becoming-a.html

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, Philly's attracting people from OTHER CITIES. I know New Yorkers who are priced out have been moving here en masse. Compared to Boston and other major cities with large student populations, people tend to stay in Philly after graduating, where most of Boston's students want to get the heck out ASAP. Philly has a growing tech sector that will surpass Silicon Valley in 10-20 years.

Nobody wants to move FROM Philly. Everyone wants to move TO Philly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts