Votes: 65 68.4%
  • Philly=New Detroit

Votes: 30 31.6%
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your opinion of the future of Philadelphia?

To me it seems it's straddling the fence on the extremities of success and failure. From what I hear Center City is about to go on a Chicago type building boom, 36 new 20+ story towers in the next 3 years, yet the city is consistently losing people to white flight(1950) white population 1,800,000- (2000) white population 800,000 and the murder rate is abysmal.

What is the future of this baffling city?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry, in no way do I mean to demean Detroit, but it is arguably the benchmark for underacheiving cities. Hopefully that will change in the future.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow if I knew I was going to activate a cliche hell-hole I never would have brought up the subject. :bash:

Just trying to get a people's feel for the track that Philadelphia is headed on, thats all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does seem like Philadelphia is going through an internal battle. Half the city is booming and well off and the other half of the city is in utter chaos. Very interesting period in the life of Philadelphia.

If I had to guess I think Philadelphia's superior past which led to an incredible infrastructure will not allow it to ever get to the point of complete abandonment.

The future is definitely going to get better in Philly.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I love your positivity Kansas. I agree, I think Philly has too much going for it for it to go completely downhill .The problem with Philly is, I dont think it recognizes its potential . I also think that the population decline is coming to an end. It hasnt fully stopped but its slowing down.
In the fast few months, the crime has been very unusual. I dont think Philly ever had a really high crime rate until now. With all of the safe streets programs going on, hopefully there'll be less crime.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Philly is going to be the next san diego or Milwuakee. Getting suck into another metro.

Beside that who knows what will happen to Philly, but thing is for sure, Philly cheesesteaks are the best in Philly.

·
Registered
834 Posts
No city in America will ever go the way of Detroit. Even Detroit won't ever go the way of Detroit again.

When I say, "Philadelphia", it is said with optimism in mind.

So, I say it is going the way Detroit is going now. Neither of which are on a level that can be compared to Chicago.

·
3rd Coast
1,123 Posts
I think Philedelphia can only improve(not to say it isn't good now), even if they do go through hard times, I don't think it would lead to the fate that Detroit had.

There were a lot of things that Detroit had going for it back in the day for it to go down the road it did. And IMO I just don't see that in Philly.

·
A B C
1,669 Posts
Going Chicago but not soon.

·
Registered
229 Posts
skyline

I don't think that Phila will become the next Chiago, but in a few years, with the Comcast Center, the Mandeville Place, the Cira centre almost being built, and hopefully the projects being done at the Riverfront and the Powelton Rail Yards project coming up, we might even be comparable in a way, and I see this as a good thing.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Toronto10 said:
What is your opinion of the future of Philadelphia?

To me it seems it's straddling the fence on the extremities of success and failure. From what I hear Center City is about to go on a Chicago type building boom, 36 new 20+ story towers in the next 3 years, yet the city is consistently losing people to white flight(1950) white population 1,800,000- (2000) white population 800,000 and the murder rate is abysmal.

What is the future of this baffling city?
Your a dick, and for many reasons too. No offence man because you may not even realize it.

For one thing, Philly is as much an individual as a city can be. It was alright, it is doing fine and will become even better in the future.

What happened with the population decline was not because the city was a dump but rather the rush into the suburbs that happend in almost every large American city. This process is continuing today but I would surmise that this trend will slow in Philidelpia and reverse as inner-city living becomes more popular(it will certainly happen as Philly has a great core with many gems) for all people.

Philly does need some reinvestment, but there are few cities in any country that does not need this.

The future may not be bright and shining but it is far from abismal.

This thread is suspect, it would not surprise me if it was started for the sole purpose of trying to pit Philly forumers against Torontonians. I assure you this won't happen as many of us have come to appriciate Philidelphia becase of the TOvsPhilly thread.

·
1,652 Posts
^pretty strong words and very unlikely senarios. You right that Philly is Philly, not Chicago, not Detroit, but Philidelphia. Its justa thread, not a plot against you people. :no:

1 - 20 of 148 Posts