SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lost in the Big Apple
1,981 Posts
Great shots of this city, it still has a european flavour.
Boston and Philadelphia do among East Coast cities. I guess it has to do with them being historic cities and having close ties to its history

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
Boston and Philadelphia do among East Coast cities. I guess it has to do with them being historic cities and having close ties to its history
I agree with Boston. However, DC has a more Euro feel than Philly IMO, due to the lack of scrapers IMO. Also, its street plan. When I talk about Euro city, I'm talking about a more modern european city that has not retained all its older buildings. Actually, it reminds me of a mix of a older US city and a European city that suffered war damage and lost a lot of its older urban continuity. I.e, Berlin, Cologne, , etc. DC itself just like NYC used to be far more beautiful and more european (historic european that is), but was ravished not by bombs, but by poor planning and development practices fueled by a need for corporate offices that infiltrated most of its central downtown.

I will say that central Philly is more european in terms of activity though. Downtown DC is more like a larger Geneva.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I am not quite sure whether cities like Boston, Philadelphia or Washington can seriously be considered to be looking European. For a contemporary visitor, they may seem somehow "European" as they have a pretty high density, a vivid streetlife and an intact and dense mixed-use downtown area - but you have to keep in mind that this was the same in ALL larger American cities till the 1950s/60s as the concept of the car friendly city and suburbanization began to destroy the urban structure of almost all American cities. Boston, Philly, DC and similar cities are rather old style American than European cities. In Europe you will, in fact, not find many cities whose architecture and street plan has much similiarities with the well preserved American East coast cities.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts