Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Callie yesterday and noticed that demolition was well underway on the old Philharmonic Court buildings. This one should officially be deemed on site now.

This is what teh scheme originally looked like. It was then amended to look very similar to that being build between London Rd and Brownlow Hill. Not an improvement. I can't see how the new building improves on what they originally proposed. Strange decision, that.

Still, it's underway.

There;s a fair bit of development going on around teh Universities at the moment. From the Phil to student schemes, right up to the Royal and LSTM. There's money coming in, which is always welcome, but I'd like to see a push for more commercial stuff now.

http://northgate.liverpool.gov.uk/D...erview.aspx?type=MVMPRD_DC_PLANAPP&key=834032

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
BB.... is this development in between Faulkner St, Catharine St & Caledonia St and at the end of Sugnall St, I was at the NCH development, seems strange but I could smell demolition so I wander down Sugnall St (the other end to the Belvedere) and spotted demotion wander around to the other end and saw demolished building I took quite a few pics from all around the site I'll dig out my pics later....

·
Registered
660 Posts
I like this a lot, it could give a nice little lift to the area.

Is there a ground floor retail element in there? It'd be nice to have some of the side streets show a little more animation. With all the resi going up around here I reckon it could support a few shops.

·
Human Being
42,983 Posts
^^ I agree!
I had a look at the site today - which has been cleared super quick - and it will really be quite transformative; along with the other block going up behind Hope street/to the side of The Phil. There will be a real student-village kind of feel - with a central courtyard/grassed area, and improved access from all approaches - not closed off as it currently is. The quality of the student blocks going up here is really good, I think:

The site already clear:

The backs of the houses which front Falkner Street ( and which are being done up for sale). Apparently three have already been sold - before anything is even done ( although they have just started on them):

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Hoardings up and away we go......

^^ I agree!
I had a look at the site today - which has been cleared super quick - and it will really be quite transformative; along with the other block going up behind Hope street/to the side of The Phil. There will be a real student-village kind of feel - with a central courtyard/grassed area, and improved access from all approaches - not closed off as it currently is. The quality of the student blocks going up here is really good, I think:

The backs of the houses which front Falkner Street ( and which are being done up for sale). Apparently three have already been sold - before anything is even done ( although they have just started on them):

Falkner Street house`s....

When are they going to design "homes" for those horrible purple bins :eek:hno:
I did notice today, lovely "yellow" bins all parked at bus stops :banana2:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Philharmonic Court, Liverpool

Work begins on £25 million student accommodation in Liverpool
Posted by Bdaily Business News on 09 Sep 2014 in the Environment section of Bdaily.co.uk

Bdaily Business News
09 Sep 2014Environment Send Article Work has begun on a new £25 million student accommodation scheme in Liverpool city centre, after it was acquired by developer Worthington Properties.

Philharmonic Court, situated off Catharine Street, will deliver 354 student rooms for the University in clusters of four to six bedrooms over four to five floors, with a private courtyard for students.

Worthington Properties has already demolished five outdated student blocks at the site and is well underway with laying the foundations for the new build. The steelwork is due to begin before the end of September.

A new pedestrian route linking Caledonia Street to Falkner Street will also be created, reinstating the historic pattern of the area and creating a green edge around the buildings.

continues...

https://bdaily.co.uk/environment/09-09-2014/work-begins-on-25-million-student-accommodation-in-liverpool/

·
Registered
69 Posts
^^ I agree!

The site already clear:

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know if there are original fixtures and fittings - in situ - and if they will be retained??

·
Registered
660 Posts
Real crying shame that, you walk around houses like that without the original features and they just feel sad. It'd be great to see them restored, I suspect that would cost a fortune though.

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
Looks like the block off London Rd. Also looks like they've employed the same cack-handed chimp to do the pointing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts