SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Votes: 5 29.4%

Votes: 12 70.6%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
woof! woof!
2,771 Posts
@jeff, Are they getting any attention? Some of them looks newly painted or even renovated. The grime build up on some is due to the city's inevitable smog problems. Numerous, dangerous and dangling cables contribute visual pollution. I hope that this place has a bright future once again.

·
woof! woof!
2,771 Posts
Lili said:
I have not received any response from those public officials I emailed :(. The reality is, I don't think I will. We have no law to back ourselves up. We only have public conscience and love for heritage.
I'm afraid that cultural preservation of heritage and historical past doesn't translate to the number of votes these greedy bastards will earn in the next election.

However, I still salute you for the effort you and jeff made to create awareness how important these structures are in representing Filipino identity and culture.

·
woof! woof!
2,771 Posts
kc5169 said:
not the east side, except around ortigas home depot

furthest south i've been is around makati area. Driven straight through to laguna though, but never stopped and took a look.
Why do you come to that conclusion?
so far my favorite place is intramuros, to me its just fascinating and i really wish they would boot the squatters from that place, they are a complete eye sore. Make lots of parks there, and completely revamp the whole place. If it is a tourist attraction, clean the whole area, not just specific parts. I have heard that it's a law in intramuros that if you are gonna build a new building there it has to be spanish type architecture based on the 1800s, i was really happy when i found that out.

I came out with the best idea for the intramuros administration.
Since fort santiago borders the pasig river, and the spanish used to bring their galleons and dock them right outside the buildings there and unload goods. Why doesn't the administration build and completely authentic spanish galleon and just leave it outside the walls in the pasig river. Charge an entrance fee maybe about 100 pesos per person or something. This entrance fee can help pay upkeep for the boat.

Wouldn't that be so cool if you are driving along one of the roads and you see this huge wooden type galleon that looks like it's ready for war or something. That just makes the hair stand up on my arms just thinking about that.
They have done this in san diego with 3 ships, i think the entrance fee is about 500 pesos per head.
Where else can you see an authentic spanish type galleon in Asia?

AMAZING IDEA TO HELP SHOW WHERE FILIPINOS CAME FROM
Actually, thats how you beef up tourism and fascination with culture - enhance what is already there. Hopefully, the local government can come up something like your idea. Im wish they can also put back the (tranvias) Tram lines (similar to San Francisco) before it was destroyed by war. Im pretty sure you saw them around here too. Oh by the way, Pasig river will be used as transporation hub once again. They are constructing ferry boats which I hope would spur environmental awarness and rejuvenation. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=8752175#post8752175 :)

·
woof! woof!
2,771 Posts
JAMAICUS said:
^^ slang for going shopping in malls
I think malling covers more than just shopping since people considers malls as amusement centers rather than just a place to shop. There is even term known as mall hopping.

·
woof! woof!
2,771 Posts
Escaño Mausoleum
Malitbog, Leyte

Photos from the internet.

Wow!! talking about East meets West in its architechture. It has the art deco of a Classical Western architechture with a visual texture and color of the Chinese porcelain scheme. The blend was done beautifully.

·
woof! woof!
2,771 Posts
to rence: u are an absolute idiot, firstly ur grammar needs to be checked. and secondly, u seem to misunderstand the point. i have actually seen the state of some of these houses first hand, prior to Mr. Acuzar's restoration, and i must say that they were about to deteriorate and seemed very unsafe to live in. it may not exactly be open for the public now but who knows, it might be. i guess only time will tell of his plans in the future. and he did mention giving back to the country what's rightfully ours so i see no point worrying because as for now, i feel that it is better that these houses are on the hands of a more professional person who will be able to take care of what's left of our heritage. it's not like the government's doing anything about it! and id hate to see something like that go to waste. i understand that u are afraid that these will go to another private collection, and honestly speaking, i'd prefer it to be that way than what it was. the people who used to live in some of those houses didnt treasure the value of that house or let alone know its worth the same way jerry acuzar does.
OT: I have detected a grammar nazi in this thread. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar_nazi

·
woof! woof!
2,771 Posts

Javellana Bldg & the first branch of Sarabia Optical

As of this moment, the local government's efforts in preserving it are on the way. According to ICCHCC, they are already in the inventory stage where they would enumerate numerous heritage structures all over the downtown area of Iloilo City. Currently, their efforts are eyed on the Calle Real area where there are more heritage structures still exist within the area which is not shown in the pictures along JM Basa, Aldeguer, Guanco, Mapa, Iznart, Arsenal, Muelle Loney, De la Rama, Santo Rosario, Gen. Hughes & Ledesma Streets.

Despite the age of the buildings, people still use these structures as commercial establishments or institutional in use and IS STILL the commercial hub of Iloilo and Panay island.
When I look at this photo, I imagine how beautiful this place will be with less wires and those unsightly structures of rusty roofs at the background. They should replace them with clay tiles to reflect the architectural style of the district. It will look like somewhere in Europe.

·
woof! woof!
2,771 Posts
What do you think?

Carriedo Fountain was repainted more than a week ago. So what do you think of its new look?

Such a beautiful structure got overshadowed by the hideous paint job. Talking about lack of historical propriety and cultural sophistication.

Pero in fairness, mukhang masarap kainin. :lol:

·
woof! woof!
2,771 Posts
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,25327616-2,00.html?from=public_rss

News.com.au Top stories News

Philippines villagers bewildered by John Safran comedy stunt

By Emma Kate-Symons
The Australian
April 13, 2009 01:40am

Cruel ... locals were not amused when they found out John Safran's involvement in their Easter ritual was for a comedy show/

DEVOUT Christian followers of Good Friday's crucifixion rituals in the rural Philippines village of Kapitangan were devastated to learn that John Safran's nailing to the cross alongside local penitents was a TV comedy show stunt.

In this isolated part of Bulacan province north of Manila the arrival of a faithful foreigner in a jeepney who pleaded to take part in the gory Easter ceremony and didn't chicken out was at first applauded. Villagers were bewildered to learn on Saturday that Safran was not even a Christian.

Student Jhoan Caparas, 18, who saw Safran's crucifixion, said his actions had been disrespectful and immoral.

"Why does he want to come here and laugh at us? We don't laugh at his culture and his beliefs. So he should respect ours."

Safran, who is Jewish, is infamous for his radical attempts at religious satire, including running nude through Jerusalem's streets asking forgiveness from a priest for masturbating in his bed.

Buboy Dionisio, nailed to the cross along with Safran, who was sporting a Monty Python-style wig, said he could not understand why the comedian and his producers had falsely claimed to be making a serious TV show.

"John Safran gave us a false name. He said he was John Michael and he never told us he wanted to make a show that would say funny things about our religion and that would be anti-Christ," Mr Dionisio said.

"John Safran's producer told us he was making a National Geographic kind of show about different religious practices."

Safran, Mr Dionisio said, had suffered some bleeding to his hands and feet after the crucifixion but seemed otherwise OK.

The comedian and his crew - believed to be filming for an ABC TV series to be screened this year, John Safran's Race Relations - were threatened with deportation and forced to sign an affidavit pledging not to use footage mocking crucifixion rituals.

Mr Dionisio alerted the National Bureau of Investigation and the Manila airport security centre to hold the ABC crew if they failed to apologise.
How disrespectful, insensitive and arrogant of him. Dare him to do that in Islamic and Buddhist countries and let's see if he can come out alive. Better yet, let's exchange him and his producers for hostages being held by Abu Sayyaf and let's see if that is funny.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts