Votes: 5 29.4%

Votes: 12 70.6%
21 - 40 of 7912 Posts

·
a.k.a Escolta Kid
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
overtureph said:
Thanks to people like Augusto Villalon, Bambi Harper, Paolo Alcazaren, Ambeth Ocampo, Fr. Rene Javellana, Fr. Pedro Gallende, Regalado Trota Jose, Wonderboy, Animo and to all those people in this thread whose campaigning and educating us, of and for, our heritage and history. It seems things are changing although slowly, but at least it seems people are more aware of what they have and what they are loosing. In addition, there where also succesful conservation projects that where done.

So I hope something be done to conserve the house and hopefully the car too. I think we have more than enough SHOE BOX architecture already.

Great work Wonderboy.
Thanks for the kind words Overtureph. The battle has just started to save the old house from demolition.

·
a.k.a Escolta Kid
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
overtureph said:
Thanks to people like Augusto Villalon, Bambi Harper, Paolo Alcazaren, Ambeth Ocampo, Fr. Rene Javellana, Fr. Pedro Gallende, Regalado Trota Jose, Wonderboy, Animo and to all those people in this thread whose campaigning and educating us, of and for, our heritage and history. It seems things are changing although slowly, but at least it seems people are more aware of what they have and what they are loosing. In addition, there where also succesful conservation projects that where done.

So I hope something be done to conserve the house and hopefully the car too. I think we have more than enough SHOE BOX architecture already.

Great work Wonderboy.
Thanks for the kind words Overtureph. The battle has just started to save the old house from demolition.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I kinda hate to say it, but that house in its current state is an eyesore. It looks neglected and grimy. It could potentially look good with some renovations and upkeep, but the owners of the place apparently didn't care to maintain it. And the project set to replace it-- though its no architectural masterpiece-- looks like a clean and welcome development. I don't want to seem historically insensitive... I do have a lot of appreciation for history, but not everything from the 1920s is worth saving simply for being old.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I kinda hate to say it, but that house in its current state is an eyesore. It looks neglected and grimy. It could potentially look good with some renovations and upkeep, but the owners of the place apparently didn't care to maintain it. And the project set to replace it-- though its no architectural masterpiece-- looks like a clean and welcome development. I don't want to seem historically insensitive... I do have a lot of appreciation for history, but not everything from the 1920s is worth saving simply for being old.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
another one =( our gov't officials are just so pathethic......what are they doing??? soon or later there wont be anything to show historical buildings to the generations to come.

i wish there is a law that prevent such building being demolished and such buildings being neglected.....errrrrrr

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
another one =( our gov't officials are just so pathethic......what are they doing??? soon or later there wont be anything to show historical buildings to the generations to come.

i wish there is a law that prevent such building being demolished and such buildings being neglected.....errrrrrr

·
a.k.a Escolta Kid
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Coffee said:
Coffee, thanks for your opinion.

For your enlightenment, below are two photos of Orchid Garden Suites located at Vito Cruz Street, Manila:

Justice Antonio Villareal residence, built ca. 1932. Pablo Antonio, architect

As you can see in the new photo, the old house has been spared from demolition and now serves as a lobby and function area.

Old houses that are derelict would definitely look grimy - this is a sad fact. But that doesn't mean that it has to be demolished. 1920s to 1930s was the height of Phil. art deco - one of most celebrated 'high art' and a great achievement in Phil. architecture.

Yes, the project that would replace the old house is clean - malamang, it's a new structure. Assuming you're pertaining to the architectural design that you think is 'clean,' well, a shoe box design has clean, fine lines but I think it pales in comparison to the one that should be spared from demolition.

The Orchid Garden Suites is a perfect example of how an old structure can be turned into something new and there’s no need to demolish a piece of heritage simply because it looks grimy and neglected.

·
a.k.a Escolta Kid
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Coffee said:
Coffee, thanks for your opinion.

For your enlightenment, below are two photos of Orchid Garden Suites located at Vito Cruz Street, Manila:

Justice Antonio Villareal residence, built ca. 1932. Pablo Antonio, architect

As you can see in the new photo, the old house has been spared from demolition and now serves as a lobby and function area.

Old houses that are derelict would definitely look grimy - this is a sad fact. But that doesn't mean that it has to be demolished. 1920s to 1930s was the height of Phil. art deco - one of most celebrated 'high art' and a great achievement in Phil. architecture.

Yes, the project that would replace the old house is clean - malamang, it's a new structure. Assuming you're pertaining to the architectural design that you think is 'clean,' well, a shoe box design has clean, fine lines but I think it pales in comparison to the one that should be spared from demolition.

The Orchid Garden Suites is a perfect example of how an old structure can be turned into something new and there’s no need to demolish a piece of heritage simply because it looks grimy and neglected.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Edmundtanso said:
I agree, Ed--does the national government or City of Manila offer property owners any incentives for historic prservation of such homes? That has saved a number of such structures from destruction here in Honolulu and the US. And while the non-descript "La Casarita" may be practical and serve a greater residential density, why can't speculators choose to build elsewhere? The remaining old San Miguel houses should be placed on a national historic register of sorts that would ensure a consistently clean and uncongested district surrounding Malacañang. Not to sound arrogantly suplado, but foreign visitors find Manila too chaotic and lacking in aesthetic qualities--so to a degree we have ourselves to blame for their raving about neighboring Asian capitals while trashing ours.

Thanks for expanding our awareness, Wonderboy--I'll go draft some letters when I get into the office later today.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Edmundtanso said:
I agree, Ed--does the national government or City of Manila offer property owners any incentives for historic prservation of such homes? That has saved a number of such structures from destruction here in Honolulu and the US. And while the non-descript "La Casarita" may be practical and serve a greater residential density, why can't speculators choose to build elsewhere? The remaining old San Miguel houses should be placed on a national historic register of sorts that would ensure a consistently clean and uncongested district surrounding Malacañang. Not to sound arrogantly suplado, but foreign visitors find Manila too chaotic and lacking in aesthetic qualities--so to a degree we have ourselves to blame for their raving about neighboring Asian capitals while trashing ours.

Thanks for expanding our awareness, Wonderboy--I'll go draft some letters when I get into the office later today.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Wonderboy--
Thanks for citing the example of Orchid Garden Suites as one recourse for developers to retain a sense of character that is historically Manila! I would thing that historic preservation would appeal to the cultural sensibilities of Filipinos, since we tend to gravitate toward our roots when overseas. However, the unfortunate quick-fix seems to lean toward get-rich-quick-and-easy instead. Gratefully, Orchid Suites offers very clear evidence of a superior solution!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Wonderboy--
Thanks for citing the example of Orchid Garden Suites as one recourse for developers to retain a sense of character that is historically Manila! I would thing that historic preservation would appeal to the cultural sensibilities of Filipinos, since we tend to gravitate toward our roots when overseas. However, the unfortunate quick-fix seems to lean toward get-rich-quick-and-easy instead. Gratefully, Orchid Suites offers very clear evidence of a superior solution!

·
drfeelgood17
646 Posts
^ This thread is a great idea Wonderboy for raising awareness about our endangered heritage (rather like endangered species...!)
I feel sad about those houses that are about to be demolished...especially when you know that they are going to be replaced by dull, character-less "condos" with "subdivision architecture". I really dislike these pre-fab styles....
The old Rolls is a great find btw...I'm amazed it's survived the ravages of the of the years!

·
drfeelgood17
646 Posts
^ This thread is a great idea Wonderboy for raising awareness about our endangered heritage (rather like endangered species...!)
I feel sad about those houses that are about to be demolished...especially when you know that they are going to be replaced by dull, character-less "condos" with "subdivision architecture". I really dislike these pre-fab styles....
The old Rolls is a great find btw...I'm amazed it's survived the ravages of the of the years!

·
1,105 Posts
Wonderboy said:
Steph, that would be good. I know it would be very tedious but if it's for the sake of protecting what's left for the next generation, your brave move would serve its purpose and encourage more people to be involved in conserving our heritage.

A close colleague mentioned that UST really should put up HCS chapter since the UST admins/ board of directors are putting up gymnasiums, courts, etc. without giving much importance to the fact that the entire UST should be declared a heritage site.
well, yeah, goal ng UST yun onward 2011 kaya ang daming tinatayo sa UST ngayon, nagiging crowded na nga ang UST because of the new building being build around...

You may get call Heritage Conservation Society Secretariat
5212239/ 5222497/ 09175668853 (c/o Ms. Dorie).
thanks poh!!! :)

·
1,105 Posts
Wonderboy said:
Steph, that would be good. I know it would be very tedious but if it's for the sake of protecting what's left for the next generation, your brave move would serve its purpose and encourage more people to be involved in conserving our heritage.

A close colleague mentioned that UST really should put up HCS chapter since the UST admins/ board of directors are putting up gymnasiums, courts, etc. without giving much importance to the fact that the entire UST should be declared a heritage site.
well, yeah, goal ng UST yun onward 2011 kaya ang daming tinatayo sa UST ngayon, nagiging crowded na nga ang UST because of the new building being build around...

You may get call Heritage Conservation Society Secretariat
5212239/ 5222497/ 09175668853 (c/o Ms. Dorie).
thanks poh!!! :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Coffee said:
No offense meant and I do respect your opinion, but I think this was how generally Filipinos thought back then and up to know. So as what we can see and experience today, is a result of this kind of thinking. To exaggerate it a bit, let us think what if the Greeks thought of the Parthenon and the whole of the Acropolis as just a bunch of ruins and not worth conserving. A mall and a restaurant with a great view would have made a better replacement.

And may I just add, this kind of attitude in my opinion, is why we lose out to tourist to places like Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia etc.

I am of the belief that if we keep doing this, in the future, our culture and history would be neither here, nor there.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Coffee said:
No offense meant and I do respect your opinion, but I think this was how generally Filipinos thought back then and up to know. So as what we can see and experience today, is a result of this kind of thinking. To exaggerate it a bit, let us think what if the Greeks thought of the Parthenon and the whole of the Acropolis as just a bunch of ruins and not worth conserving. A mall and a restaurant with a great view would have made a better replacement.

And may I just add, this kind of attitude in my opinion, is why we lose out to tourist to places like Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia etc.

I am of the belief that if we keep doing this, in the future, our culture and history would be neither here, nor there.

21 - 40 of 7912 Posts