SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is most of the crime in philly centered in certain areas,what neighborhoods? I know that the city of philadelphia has a high crime rate,but is downtown safe like you can walk around at night like in midtown manhattan?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Philadelphia's recent uptick in shootings can be traced to a lot of things.
In general you're safe in the city, particularly downtown. Don't let what you read and hear convince you this town is the Wild Wild West. The bulk of the shootings occur in neighborhoods where violent crime more often occurs anyway, such as parts of North and West Philadelphia, it's just been happening much more frequently and flagrantly.

Center City is fine but the neighborhoods immediately surrounding it are where crimes of opportunity, such as muggings, occur because those are gentrified neighborhoods where crooks know they'll find easy marks. Again, no different from any other city.

If the thought of coming across someone who even looks a little scary makes you quiver, avoid the city altogether. There are some ugly people in this town:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just like Volguus said. Many places in North Philly (by far the poorest and most crime ridden district overall in the city), some places in West Philly (mostly north of Market or West of 50th Street), a couple places in South Philly (Point Breeze, etc), and some places in SW Philly (Kingsessing, etc) have some bad crime. For the most part though, even in the bad parts, the city is safe. Most of teh shootings and stuff like that I think has to do with gangs and stuff like that... Yeah I donno what I'm talking about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts