SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firms May Invest in Light Rail, Traffic Lights

Japanese technology companies Toshiba Corp and Kyosan Electric have met with Phnom Penh Municipality to discuss investing in a light rail system and new traffic light network.

According to an announcement on the municipality's website yesterday, Kazutoshi Fukuda, managing director of Kyosan Electric, and Yasuyoshi Mugiya, senior managing director for Toshiba, met with municipal governor Kep Chuktema on Wednesday to present technologies that could ameliorate Phnom Perth's traffic congestion and improve the city's transit infrastructure.

"[Mr. Fukuda] had presented the new technology to establish electric light rail transit [LRT] which [...] could alleviate air pollution in the city," the municipality said in a statement Mr. Mugiya presented technologies from Toshiba that would allow traffic lights to measure the level of traffic congestion on Phnom Penh's streets. Both investments are in their early stages and Yuji Imamura, an adviser to the Council for the Development of Cambodia, who works for the Japan International Cooperation Agency, said that neither company had yet submitted an investment application to the government.

Hiromitsu Iwatate, chairman of the Japanese Business Association of Cambodia, said the interest from the two companies made sense considering the level of investment still needed in Cambodia's urban transport infrastructure.

"I guess they want to sell their product in the Cambodian infrastructure market, which has a lot of room to improve," he said. "In Phnom Penh now there are a lot of traffic jams."

However, Mr. Iwatate added that investment in a light rail system would be a massive undertaking and would probably require outside funding. 'That kind of Iran transportation system would be not feasible [without] financing from the ADB [Asia Development Bank] or the World Bank to promote development" he said.

In July 2011, the government signed a memorandum of understanding with French engineering firm Systra to conduct a $726,000 feasibility study on the construction of a rail fine from Phnom Penh International Airport to the Royal Railway Station.

Aline Perrette, an assistant to Jean-Jacques Guillaudeau, director of the economics arm of the French Embassy, said the feasibility study, which began last October, was still under way. (Additional reporting by Hul Reaksmey)
Details:
Document Title:Firms May Invest in Light Rail, Traffic Lights
Document Source: The Cambodia Daily (Cambodia)
Document Date: 1/24/2012

·
Home Energy Reactor
7,079 Posts
I dont understand how this technology work? what is light rail transit? what it has to do with air pollution? Can someone explain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_rail

It is pretty much can be see as a train design to have a light load (ie: just passenger, no cargo) that run on urban streets, and can share the road with cars and buses).

·
Home Energy Reactor
7,079 Posts
this is 5 years old, not relevant anymore.

I think if LRT can connect with Airport, it will be very good and convenient for all Airport passenger.:)

It will be foolish for any transport network to missed out on the airport.
But for lightrail to go via Russian Federation could meet with a problem, as the Pet Lork Sang intersection Overpass would be in the way.

·
Home Energy Reactor
7,079 Posts
this idea is very bad, because it will clog up the road
A functional Light Rail system should free up the road as their is no need for so many bike, Tuk tuk, cars etc.

·
Home Energy Reactor
7,079 Posts
I'm waiting for planning route map, If you have more update.:)
I hope the idea is still under consideration, as all future road/bridge planning has to take it into account. So it is definitely worthwhile come up with a master plan of some sort. Despite it may be decades away.

·
Connecting your real life
1,111 Posts
Wow, I like new map by Sopheak.:banana:

Phsar Thmei (ផ្សារថ្មី) Station is 3 Rail Interchange Station :banana:

Sky Train (រថភ្លើងអាកាស or ស្កាយត្រេន)
I mean, it runs on sky no traffic jams with other transport,
no rail flood is important because Asean had the risk of flooding and LRT is electric light rail transit too.

From this news
After BTS Sky Train "the business will generate sufficient return to cover investments and pay back the government within 10 years."

I hope PPST (ភីភីអេសធី) can make that within 10 years, too. :)

Edit:
for lightrail to go via Russian Federation could meet with a problem, as the Pet Lork Sang intersection Overpass would be in the way.
It's no problem in Bangkok. :)

·
Home Energy Reactor
7,079 Posts

·
Home Energy Reactor
7,079 Posts
1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.