·
Registered
N830MH
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Phoenix would definitely be a favorite, especially since the 24th, 25th, and 26th teams all likely will be in the Eastern Conference. Columbus moving to Austin could somewhat offset this, but the league will likely want to expand in the West, with Sacramento being the only other serious bid.

Will be interesting to see what kind of cooling/shading technology they employ.

·
Registered
N830MH
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will be interesting to see what kind of cooling/shading technology they employ.
Yes, if they have roofing shade. It will keep away from the extreme high heat weather. They don't want to be sweating. As you know the weather in Arizona. It was always so extremely hot weather for every Summer. They will stay cool. If they have air condition on.

·
3,861 Posts
^^ ESPECIALLY when you consider the fact that the MLS season goes through the summer.

You wanna play soccer outdoors in Phoenix in July? Be my guest! :lol:

·
Registered
N830MH
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd rather play in Phoenix during the summer nights than Houston, Miami, or Orlando.
I don't think they going to play a soccer game during the summer. Besides, I think they will play for winter time. When the weather is not too hot at all. They will have a nice cool weather.

U of Phoenix....

Chase field....

We're gonna need a dome.
Yes, Chase Field & University of Phoenix have it, too. They do have roof shading.

ESPECIALLY when you consider the fact that the MLS season goes through the summer.

You wanna play soccer outdoors in Phoenix in July? Be my guest!
Absolutely not! Too extremely hot weather during the Summer. I think they will play for winter time instead of Summer. Because of this, the weather is too extremely hot weather during all Summer long. They don't like to be sweating. They will have to drinks a lot of water.

G

·
I don't think they going to play a soccer game during the summer. Besides, I think they will play for winter time. When the weather is not too hot at all. They will have a nice cool weather.

Yes, Chase Field & University of Phoenix have it, too. They do have roof shading.

Absolutely not! Too extremely hot weather during the Summer. I think they will play for winter time instead of Summer. Because of this, the weather is too extremely hot weather during all Summer long. They don't like to be sweating. They will have to drinks a lot of water.
Never has there been a more appropriate smiley than this to describe a post: :bash:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Do you really think they are going to change the MLS season from summer to winter just so a potential Phoenix team could play outside? Seriously?

·
Registered
N830MH
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you really think they are going to change the MLS season from summer to winter just so a potential Phoenix team could play outside? Seriously?
Yes, I believe they do. I think they will play for winter time instead of Summer heat. This is better way to keep away from the high extreme heat weather. They don't want to be sweating.

G

·
This guy actually isn't trolling. I had a quick look through post history, every post reads like unintentional trolling.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Yes, I believe they do. I think they will play for winter time instead of Summer heat. This is better way to keep away from the high extreme heat weather. They don't want to be sweating.
So you are ok with New England and Minnesota playing in potential feet of snow during the winter just so a potential Phoenix team could play outside? Wouldn't it be easier for the new team to adapt to the already existing league than for an entire league of 20+ teams to adapt for an expansion team? Phoenix should build indoors if the want to avoid the heat or better yet avoid Phoenix altogether.

Now there might be some benefits of switching the MLS season to winter, but a Phoenix expansion team is very far down that list.

·
Registered
N830MH
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you are ok with New England and Minnesota playing in potential feet of snow during the winter just so a potential Phoenix team could play outside? Wouldn't it be easier for the new team to adapt to the already existing league than for an entire league of 20+ teams to adapt for an expansion team? Phoenix should build indoors if the want to avoid the heat or better yet avoid Phoenix altogether.

Now there might be some benefits of switching the MLS season to winter, but a Phoenix expansion team is very far down that list.
Yes, it will be just fine. I think winter time is better than Summer heat. They don't want to be sweating. Yes, they will get a new team. I'm pretty confident about this.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Phoenix's MLS Expansion Bid Unveils New Stadium Renderings

Phoenix Rising FC announce plans for 21,000 seat open-air MLS stadium northeast of Arizona State University that could open by 2021.

By BRIAN STRAUS March 15, 2018

While Cincinnati and Sacramento (and Detroit, officially) continue to jostle for slot No. 26, Phoenix appears to be making up ground in Major League Soccer’s expansion marathon.

Last month, USL club Phoenix Rising added Chinese hotel billionaire Alex Zheng, an investor in Ligue 1’s OGC Nice, to its ownership group. And then Thursday, Rising unveiled renderings of the 21,000-seat, $250 million stadium it hopes to build northeast of Arizona State University.

“We’re really excited about this stadium. We feel very good about our traction on land. We love the addition of Alex to our cap table, and I think this side of 2018, there’s not a market that’s done more to advance its case to MLS than Phoenix,” Rising co-chairman Brett Johnson said. “We went from not even being in contention to the thick of the conversation.”

MLS has committed to adding five teams after Los Angeles FC, which took the field this month. Nashville and Miami have been awarded two of those five, while Cincinnati, Detroit and Sacramento are the finalists for No. 26. There is no timetable for the identification of clubs No. 27 or 28.

The most noticeable element of the stadium designed by Populous and Gould Evans is what it doesn’t have—a roof. Phoenix is attractive to MLS because it’s the 12th-largest media market in the country. But it’s also the nations hottest major city, and MLS plays through the summer.

“Nine months of the year, Phoenix arguably has the best weather in the world,” Johnson told SI.com. “We never saw a reason to effectively penalize 3/4 of the year with a dome to satisfy 90 days of very hot weather. Two other points are obviously the cost, and then our confidence that even with an open-air stadium, we’re more than confident we’ll be able to provide comfort based on the current designs. … The lack of humidity makes it much easier to address heat than markets like Houston or Orlando.”

The club said the facility is laid out in order to provide maximum airflow and shade (the field is in shadow at 7 p.m.). There are curtains, canopies, a misting system, fans and even “water walls” at the entrances designed to “cool the wind as it enters the stadium.” In addition, schedules can be front- and back-loaded to minimize the number of home matches in July and August.

Construction will be privately financed.

Johnson said the architects and club remained in contact with MLS throughout the process and that the design meets with league approval. MLS also appears to be O.K. with the proposed site even though it’s about 10 miles east of downtown, and Johnson said the league retained its own consultant to review it. Speaking to SI.com last year, Rising owner Berke Bakay said the area’s proximity to two highways, ASU and Scottsdale makes it ideal, and that it was identified as a potential site by MLS when it first looked at the Valley of the Sun more than a dozen years ago.

“If you asked a random 1,000 people where would be the best place to put a stadium, and gave them a multiple choice section, I don’t see how this doesn’t dominate it. It’s not debatable,” Bakay said.

Rising doesn’t yet have full site control. The land where its USL stadium now sits is owned by the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community and the Solanna Group, who are local developers. That adds “a lot of complexity,” Johnson acknowledged.

“We don’t have definitive shovel-in-the-ground [readiness] in the current location. We don’t have it relative to MLS, and we don’t have it relative to the tribe,” he added. “We’re keeping our options open relative to other pieces of land that might also be available. We don’t have the luxury of going all-in and we don’t have the luxury of not considering other locations.”

But the stadium was designed with the SRPMIC site in mind, and Johnson said, “We are highly confident that we’re going to have shovel-ready land that’s going to satisfy MLS. That’s something we go to sleep at night and we feel good about. … We’re going to have title certainty in the next 90 days.”

Zheng has a home in Phoenix and has committed to owning at least 30% of a potential MLS club. It could wind up being more.

“He’s on the board. He’s very active, and we’re very comfortable with him being the ‘whale.’ But no final decision has been made on that front,” Johnson said. “We intend on continuing to expand our cap table so that it has additional gravitas beyond Alex. He reached out to us. He pursued us. We think that speaks volumes about what we’ve built in a short period of time.”

If given the green light this year, Rising could have the stadium ready for the 2021 season.

“We could move quickly on this. We’re confident in that,” Johnson said. At the same time, he added, Rising “is in this for the long haul. There’s no expiration on our MLS bid.”

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/03/15/phoenix-rising-mls-expansion-stadium-renderings

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
PHOENIX RISING OFFERS SNEAK PEAK OF PROPOSED MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER STADIUM

(PHOENIX) March 15, 2018 – Phoenix Rising Football Club, entering its second season in the United Soccer League (USL), released today the first glimpse of the proposed Major League Soccer (MLS) stadium designs, in anticipation of the announcement of the MLS expansion teams.

“The renderings really bring the stadium to life,” said Brett Johnson, co-chairman for Phoenix Rising FC. “We are excited for the fans to see the innovative, one-of-a-kind design with special attention paid to maximizing shade and airflow in the stadium to ensure player and fan comfort.”

Populous, a leading sports and entertainment architecture firm that has designed seven MLS stadiums; and Gould Evans, a Phoenix-based multi-disciplinary design firm with expertise in environmentally responsive structures, collaborated to create a stadium inspired by the intimacy and energy of European soccer stadiums. With approximately 21,000 seats, and a 360-degree concourse, fans will not miss a minute of the on-field action.

The asymmetrical design places the majority of seats on the west side and provides ample shade. Stadium entrances are strategically shaped to maximize airflow, featuring water walls to cool patrons as they enter. Expansive, breathable canopies will cover the bowl, concourse and area surrounding the stadium to maximize player and fan comfort while amplifying the energy and excitement within the stadium.

“We want Phoenix Rising fans to have a game day experience that is second-to-none, so comfort and first-class amenities are top priorities,” said Scott Capstack, principal at Populous. “From the four unique seating sections to diverse social spaces, this stadium will be the standard-bearer for soccer in the southwest.”

“The proposed design will be environmentally and culturally relevant to Arizona,” said Krista Shepherd principal for Gould Evans. “We wanted to create a stadium that Phoenicians will be proud of and will offer our community a year-round state-of-the-art entertainment destination.”

Phoenix is one of 11 cities competing for three MLS expansion slots, which are scheduled to be announced in 2018.

https://www.phxrisingfc.com/news_article/show/897524?referrer_id=2717359

·
Registered
N830MH
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool!!! Hopefully they will be approved later this year. Let make it happen.

I knows they will play for early evening if the weather is not too hot at all. They will keep away from the extreme heat weather. They will cool it down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts