Phoenix Suns

AKA "The Purple Palace"

Formerly named America West Arena from 1992-2005

Under Construction

Hosted the NBA All Star Weekend in 1995 and 2009

·
Registered
72 Posts
It used to host the Coyotes from 97 to 04 but it was terrible for hockey because the sightlines were not designed with a hockey rink in mind so a section of seats hung over the boards resulting in 3,000 seats with obstructed views and that's why the coyotes got their own arena (Jobing) in 04.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It used to host the Coyotes from 97 to 04 but it was terrible for hockey because the sightlines were not designed with a hockey rink in mind so a section of seats hung over the boards resulting in 3,000 seats with obstructed views and that's why the coyotes got their own arena (Jobing) in 04.

That picture has to be photoshopped. All of the seats are filled!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks GaForce for all this great arena threads. the same goes for jay stew. :)
Not a problem seyer. I realized that most of the NFL stadiums and MLB Ballparks had threads but not too many NBA and NHL arenas did. Glad to help!:cheers:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I bet they had to sell those seats really cheap to get people to buy. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bet they had to sell those seats really cheap to get people to buy. :eek:hno:
Yeah and they also had to add more scoreboards for the people buying those seats and supposedly it's one of the main reasons why they've had so many financial problems to date.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For years, this arena's capacity was listed at 19,023 and now its 18,422, what changed?
I believe what happened is that they removed a section of seats to build loge boxes behind one baseline. I found some info on it at Seats3d and the usairwayscenter website. That seems to be the most logical explaination. The rest of the arena looks unchanged from its original layout.

http://usairwayscenter.com/arena/welcome/annexus/

http://www.seats3d.com/nba/phoenix_suns/

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
They also added wider club seats in that end with the loge boxes and redid the first three rows of seating with wider premium seats.

·
18,247 Posts
NBA Commissioner talks new arena with Suns owner, but it's not 'imminent'

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Earlier this year, Suns Managing Partner Robert Sarver acknowledged the need and desire for the franchise to play in a new arena with eight years left on the US Airways Center lease.

Sarver also shared that sentiment with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver recently.

"I had this conversation with him just the other day," Silver said Wednesday night in Charlotte before the Suns-Hornets game. "I don't think it's imminent but, yes, over time, there's no question that what was once one of the very best buildings in the league is becoming older.

"They invested in a renovation there, the prior ownership did. Robert, as he looks out into the next decade, realizes that at some point he's going to need a new building. It's early stages but it's something that the league office can be helpful with. At least we have the experience of many more markets."
www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2014/12/17/commissioner-adam-silver-new-suns-arena-robert-sarver/20566341/

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Possible new arena for the Phoenix Suns?

Great, another team wants to make plans for a brand-new arena that everyone could potentially sh*t on. I think that new report about the new arena implies that even the absolute best indoor arenas can't be futureproofed, even with upgrades such as a Cowboys Stadium-like videoboard.

If a new arena really is built for the Suns, it will almost certainly mean an inevitable demolition for the existing Phoenix Downtown Arena, even though its predecessor, the Arizona Veterans Memoral Coliseum, is still alive.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts