Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
The idea of this thread is to publish photos of most interesting commieblocks from S&B countries. With "most interesting" I'm thinking commieblocks with some architectonic quality, originality not standard "boxes".

Below is some photos from Riga, Imanta district. I am living already five years there but still wondering about these beautiful red commieblock buildings, which was built in 80's as "experimental". Maybe you are also living beside some very interesting commieblocks? Then share with others!

Some other not bad examples from Soviet time (in Plavnieki and Purvciems):

The

·
Registered
344 Posts
The red-bricked ones form Imanta don't look Commie at all. They might indeed be among the very best looking residential buildings constructed in Riga during the Soviet rule.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The red-bricked ones form Imanta don't look Commie at all. They might indeed be among the very best looking residential buildings constructed in Riga during the Soviet rule.
Exactly my thoughts!

·
Right Here, Right Now
2,652 Posts
One of the most famous commies in Sweden, Storstugan ("The Big Cottage") in Täby, north of Stockholm

·
囧!
10,897 Posts
Found this loooong building in a Malmö suburb (Segevång). I believe about half of it is visible in this pic:

EDIT: It may not qualify as a commieblock though.

·
commieblock enthusiast
452 Posts
Hmm, I think I already posted my answer but can't see it... So I'll post again. I wanted to thank you Vecais Sakarnis (whatever that means) for these awsome pics! These red buildings look really cool.

If you want to see other strange commieblocks (eg. from Italy and France) then take a look at the forum nr. 477, the Commieblock forum! I see the last one of your pics has a certain style, but French people have done something more than that and the result is awsome - visible here (click the pic to go to that thread in Commieblock forum):

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
Storstugan is probably the most interesting.

As for Finland it might be "Mikontalo", a big student apartment complex at Hervanta, a mighty suburb of Tampere:

According to some rumours it might be the biggest residential building in the Nordics. That's quite hard to prove though.

Otherwise Hervanta a.k.a Herwood is one of the most legendary suburbs in Finland.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, I think I already posted my answer but can't see it... So I'll post again. I wanted to thank you Vecais Sakarnis (whatever that means) for these awsome pics! These red buildings look really cool.

If you want to see other strange commieblocks (eg. from Italy and France) then take a look at the forum nr. 477, the Commieblock forum! I see the last one of your pics has a certain style, but French people have done something more than that and the result is awsome - visible here (click the pic to go to that thread in Commieblock forum):

Hi, thanks!
I'm afraid that there isn't adequate phrase in english for "Vecais sakārnis". Maybe "old grumbler" or "old geezer" but not exactly.

If we are talking about big Western cities... One thing which isn't easy to understand for me - where are living all these 7,5 million of London people? Because in London there is very few commieblocks if we are comparing to Moscow where are enormous massive areas with extra high-rise commieblocks.

Below is one of the most good-loking (especially because of colour) commieblock buildings from London (as far as I was able to see from St. Paul's cathedral): the blue one

·
Registered
156 Posts
Storstugan is probably the most interesting.

As for Finland it might be "Mikontalo", a big student apartment complex at Hervanta, a mighty suburb of Tampere:

According to some rumours it might be the biggest residential building in the Nordics. That's quite hard to prove though.

Otherwise Hervanta a.k.a Herwood is one of the most legendary suburbs in Finland.
The notorious Mikontalo...One day I should sit down and right a book about the place (never lived there but had many school friends that did).:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts