Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 406 Posts

·
Tranced32
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since we have many photography lovers on here, let's discuss photography! If a similar thread already exists, then please merge the threads together!

Let's start, what camera do you use? I'd love to know what camera and/or lenses Imre uses!

·
Banned
11 Posts
Basics stuff:

Tip #1: Fish-eye lenses are not made for architecture, since most buildings are made up of straight lines.

Tip #2: Never change your lenses outdoors, especially not at a construction site. Always step indoors or into a car/closed area to prevent dust accumulation.

Tip #3: Photoshop is not a dirty word.

Tip #4: No tripod, no night shot.

That's it for now.

·
Banned
11 Posts
which is the best lens for:

1. landscape, including skylines
2. interiors, family photos
3. night shots
Not facts, but opinions:

1. A super-wide angle 10-22mm range (not fish eye) would work well. You don't really need one with f numbers of f/1.8 or similar because most of your shots would include everything up to the horizon, so you'd be at f/11 maybe.

2. A super-wide angle is useful also to get an entire room in just by standing at the door. But for people shots, a prime lens is useful and it should ideally have a low f number to give you the option of blurring the background and bringing the people in focus.

3. If you can't always carry around a tripod/monopod, then built-in image stabilization in the lens would be very useful. You might prefer a zoom lens if you use a tripod because it's more of a hassle carrying it for the perfect position. If you're shooting night skylines, use your wide-angle, and for people shots, your portrait lens (usually 50mm or 80mm). Just take into consideration your white balance settings, and avoid high ISO as much as possible to reduce noise (use a tripod!).

·
Banned
11 Posts
#B&W conversion:

There are many ways and software options for converting an image to B&W, I'm outlining a high-contrast Photoshop method below. Feel free to share your own method.

Here's a photo I took with a Sony H1, in its unedited colour version, normal 'desaturation', and the high contrast conversion.

For high-contrast:

1. Open colour photo and set foreground to black from side tools.
2. Layers palette >> create new adjustment layer (black/white circle) >> gradient map.
3. Layers palette >> create new adjustment layer >> channel mixer.
4. Check monochrome >> constant -8 >> red +76 >> slide green/blue to taste.
5. Flatten image, add extra stuff if desired (unsharpen mask, filters).

·
Banned
11 Posts
I changed from Freeshare to Tinypic.

They're small versions, because I didn't want to overload the page with heavy pics as is common in most SSC threads :)

Just to mention, the reason I use this gradient map/channel mixer method for contrast is because I think it doesn't obliterate that many details as the contrast bar from image adjustment does.

It's not that clear in the small pic, but the details of the tiles and the leaves are still there even in high contrast.

·
Dubai
40,564 Posts
Well, since we have many photography lovers on here, let's discuss photography! If a similar thread already exists, then please merge the threads together!

Let's start, what camera do you use? I'd love to know what camera and/or lenses Imre uses!
Canon EOS 20D , Sigma DC 18-200 mm lens, I have another lenses but difficult to change everywhere..too dusty here..I have to clean every day.

I am thinking of buying another camera with fix lens, but I have no idea which is good.

Any advice?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Omaro - I have Nikon D80 which came with a 18-135mm lens. This was pretty good but to shaky at full zoom. So I have recently got the excellent 18-200mm Nikkor with VR (Vibration Reduction). I also have the sigma 10-22mm and a Nikkor 1.8 50mm prime (which is brilliant for portraits). I have nice benpro tripod with ball head - an essential for a night shot.

Next on my list is a macro lens and eventually some form of super telephoto, but no rush for that.

Prior to the Nikon D80 I has a Sony DSC-R1 which is an excellent camera and the lens on it is truly superb. However once you have used the ergonomics of a DSLR it is hard to go back.

My fave websites are:

dpreview

and

Digital Photography School

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
Canon EOS 20D , Sigma DC 18-200 mm lens, I have another lenses but difficult to change everywhere..too dusty here..I have to clean every day.

I am thinking of buying another camera with fix lens, but I have no idea which is good.

Any advice?
If you really want to buy a fixed lens camera, then the Panasonic FZ50 (2,200 - 2,400 AED) or Sony (can't remember the exact model, but more then 3,000 AED) will be the best choices

·
Watching Dubai Grow . . .
643 Posts
Recent upgrade

Great thread . . .

Recently upgraded from a Fuji S5000 to a Canon EOS 400D (after reading many magazines/reviews). I am still trying to drive this new thing but I am impressed with most of the results so far . . .

One of my photo's from a recent visit to Belfast, N.Ireland (The City Hall)

Looking for some tips & tricks with the camera, & post editing in Photshop.

·
Jelly Bean!!
2,232 Posts
can someone post a beginners guide...like "photography for dummies" kind of thing because i can only understand half of wat u guys are on about!!

·
Dr.Med. Tom Green
5,278 Posts
can someone post a beginners guide...like "photography for dummies" kind of thing because i can only understand half of wat u guys are on about!!
It`s difficult to know what you know and what you don`t know.

You should just ask.

I have a Canon EOS 350D.

My lenses:

Canon 50mm f1.8
Canon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
Canon 24-135mm IS f3.5-5.6
Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6

I want a lens that ranges from 10 - 20mm. But i can`t decide. There are 4 that i could buy.

·
Jelly Bean!!
2,232 Posts
its ok now, iv jus watched a video and its explained some good stuff...anything i dont understand, i will ask. thanx

wats the best camera to buy as a beginner with a budget of say £500? or is that too less?

thnx for this website ronski

i jus watched the kris krug video and he explained some of the basics very well.

its on the blog section if anyone else wants to watch it..and i recomend it

·
Back in the Sandpit
14,962 Posts
Basics stuff:

Tip #1: Fish-eye lenses are not made for architecture, since most buildings are made up of straight lines.

Tip #2: Never change your lenses outdoors, especially not at a construction site. Always step indoors or into a car/closed area to prevent dust accumulation.

Tip #3: Photoshop is not a dirty word.

Tip #4: No tripod, no night shot.

That's it for now.
#1 : disagree...

#2 : disagree, doing that all the time.. just take care and have an E-500 with Dust removal sensor

#3 : AGREE :D

#4 : disagree :D

1 - 20 of 406 Posts