SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've studied Japan and Japanese for 8 years but, until recently, had never once been to Japan. Using left-over student loan money and what I had in my accounts I planned a trip with my brother for 2 weeks in Japan. We stayed in Tokyo for 4 days, then went around to Hakone, Hida-Takayama and Shirakawa-go, Miyajima, and finally stayed in Kyoto for another 4 days. In retrospect we should have spent 6 days each in Tokyo and Kyoto, but it was still interesting to experience the other, smaller cities and to stay in a Ryokan for a night. Tokyo and Kyoto were awesome, but Shirakawa-go isn't all it's cracked up to be. Traditioanl gassho-zukuri, yes, but tranquil? Hardly. It's packed to bursting point with annoying Chinese and Italian tourists who don't know which side of the street to walk on. The Ryokan in Miyajima was neat, but hardly the complete traditional experience I was expecting. Unfortunately I had very little time to really enjoy Hakone, but the forests were beautiful. Without further ado, here are some of my pictures. Together, my brother and I took around 2000 pics, so I'll only post a select few. Today will be our best pics of Odaiba.

Very fun, futuristic light post.

Pretty neat hotel tower.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The very famous Fuji TV Tower. Unfortunately, it was closed when we got there so we couldn't go up.

These pictures of famous Tokyo structures were all over the boardwalks.

Huge indoor "waterfall." The sign said it is the tallest indoor waterfall in the world. It's in some large shopping mall thing in Odaiba. I think it's a shower-head for a giant.

The really awesome Tokyo Big Sight.

An odd exhibition space that looks like a spaceship; maybe the Sulaco from Aliens.

Pedestrian bridge from Yurikamome station to Odaiba.

More of the bridge.

·
Ryuhei
446 Posts
Fantastic photos!
More, please :)

I will probably go to Japan on vacation next year with some friends. Ryokan and onsen stay included XD

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shiodome Pictures

Our hotel, the Park Tokyo, was in Shiodome. Here are some of the surrounding structures.

Is that Gamera's shell?

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Cool pics indeed ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts