SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
He's either a teenager somewhere truly trying to learn about our country and life or he is a terrorist.

·
In Search of Sanity
3,689 Posts
OK. This is the area of my second home, Green Valley AZ (near Tucson) in the Sonoran Desert:

Much of the natural scenery has become this:

and this

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's either a teenager somewhere truly trying to learn about our country and life or he is a terrorist.
I just want to learn a lot of things about US, because next year I'm coming to study. And cars are my passion, so I want to know as much as I can about american cars. I also want to see and know the places. That's all.:)

·
In Search of Sanity
3,689 Posts
I just want to learn a lot of things about US, because next year I'm coming to study. And cars are my passion, so I want to know as much as I can about american cars. I also want to see and know the places. That's all.:)
OK, well then, the basics. America has 3 deserts (2 of which are northward extensions of Mexican deserts): The Chihuauhuan, the Sonoran and the Mojave. The Mojave is pretty much exclusively American and the driest and hottest, found in Southern California and a bit of Arizona. The Sonoran gets a bit more rain than the others so has the most variety of plants and animals--and many consider it the most beautiful. It is found in southern Arizona in the US but also large parts of northwest Mexico. The Chihuahuan is in Texas and New Mexico as well as northeast Mexico.

The well-known Saguaro cactus:

http://www.desertusa.com/july96/du_saguaro.html

along with many other species of cactus, is found in the Sonoran desert. Saguaro National Park is near Tucson, Arizona. Another place to see the Sonoran Desert is Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, also in southern Arizona.

The best place in the US to see the Chihuahuan Desert is probably in Texas at the Big Bend National Park. And you can visit the Mojave Desert at Death Valley National Park or Joshua Tree National Park.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts