SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 194 Posts

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
12,875 Posts
As promised:

Athenian lowrises with their glory unfolded... If they only were some 20-30 storeys taller :( All pics taken by me so in case you don't love them, send me all you got... :D

Enjoy:

Syggrou Avenue

-Seen before but this was taken yesterday (14 Oct 2005)):

-Ethniki Asfalistiki (National Insurance Company, a branch of the national bank of Greece in Syggrou Avenue) Head Offices. Architect is the one and only Marrio Botta with two new Greek architects. Botta also built the National Bank of Greece head offices (click on the link, you won't regret it)

-Ethniki Asfalistiki Head Offices 2

-Ethniki Asfalistiki Head Offices 3

-The main building..

-Next to the National Insurance complex: A new 10-storey tall cineplex and entertainment centre with VERY impressive post-modernistic architectural style...

-The Onasseion Cardiac Surgery Centre in Syggrou Avenue- One of the Top in Europe, built with money from the Onassis foundation which is managing part of the huge assets and properties of the late Greek Tycoon Alexandros Onassis:

-Onasseion Cardiac Surgery Centre: Distant view from the Profitis Helias hill in Piraeus... Very distant shot in fact, for your eyes only...

-Last (but not least), a pic of a Hummer SUV parked on Syggrou Avenue, right where the airbridge from the Kallirois Avenue lands. Must be for sale as used by the nearby car dealer. Couldn't resist to take a pic. Not a building or a house but almost as big as a house... Enjoy it with the buildings of Syggrou Avenue as a background...

Other Avenues/ Places

-The Byzantine Ages-old Church of St Nikolas in the Thon Estate, one of the most controversial developments of modern Athens in Kifissias and Alexandras Avenues:

-Building on 77 Amphitheas Avenue in Palaion Phaliron next to the Mc Donalds restaurant..

-Hondos Centre Department Store, Omonia Square

-Politeia Business Centre, Messogeion Avenue, atrium detail 1

-Politeia Business centre, Messogeion Avenue, atrium detail 2

And if you are pleased with the above, theres's more of it comin' soon sweethearts !!!

A, re Demetrio nasai kala mou anoixes tin orexi, nasai kala

·
Registered
Χριστός Ανέστη!
5,976 Posts
Μπράβο gm , πολλή ωραίες οι φωτογραφίες, έδωσες τα ρέστα σου :) :eek:kay:

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
12,875 Posts
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS said:
Μπράβο gm , πολλή ωραίες οι φωτογραφίες, έδωσες τα ρέστα σου :) :eek:kay:
Τις φωτογραφίες του συγκροτήματος της ΕθνικήςΑσφαλιστικής τις έχω βάλει ήδη στα "Κατασκευαστικά Νέα" ως άρτι ανεγερθέν. Κατα τα άλλα παιδιά, οτι θέλετε πάρτε για τα "Stickies". Και περιμένετε και τρίτο γύρο, έχω αρκετο πράμα, δόξα τω Θεώ.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Thank you Grigori they are great pics but one thing to mention though:

What the Winston guys mean with that ad next to the Onasseion? Smoke these ones and then in some 30 years step into the Onasseion so as they can heal you :hahaha:

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
12,875 Posts
Actually, this pic is some 3 years old and I am not sure whether they advertise Cigarettes or not right now (I quit smoking two years ago anyways :D) . Thanks for the observation though, this is quite a paradox that you mention:)

And like I said, wait for more stuff... :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes re GM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MORE MORE MORE!!! :eek:kay:

·
Μπιουτιφ&#
575 Posts
I liked:

the MRA building (what I can see I like)
Benaki museum (very nice)
Acropolis Museum (very beautiful, amazing detailing)
The building in the post of Leafs Fanatic
Olympic Stadium (nice organic structure)
Ethniki Asfalistiki (very nice form, didnt know that building, great!)

To a lesser extent I also liked the Onnaseion, probably because Ive got a weak spot for architecture of that era.

The rest in this thread was really horrible I think...I dont how or why, but these office buildings in Greece are 99% of the times really ugly. Those reflective glass facade systems are very 80s and most of the times done in a very cheap poor manner. This is I think corporate architecture in its worst form.

·
Mutant and Proud
5,982 Posts
The building by Mra architects is perfect, in my opinion it is one of the most contemporary office buildings in Athens but I think few people know it.
Well I took this photo from car and I want to take a better one if I have the chance...:)

·
Μπιουτιφ&#
575 Posts
I'd like to see the bottom part, but watch out you dont crash :)

·
Mutant and Proud
5,982 Posts
I think there are some photos at their site…
I also find very impressive the office building of Tombazis at Syggrou avenue

·
Banned
1,717 Posts

Interamerican building.
Architect: porphyrios associates http://www.porphyrios.co.uk/

The National Insurance complex.
Architect: Mario Botta
http://www.botta.ch/

all photos by systema magicum
I really like both these buildings, as well as both these world-renowned architects.

Read more about Porphyrios [URL="http://architecture.nd.edu/news_and_events/driehaus.shtml"]here[/URL].

Botta was also largely responsible for the superb National Bank of Greece Administration Building on Aiolou and Sofokleous Sts.

The National Bank of Greece (NBG) administration building is among the most ambitious prestige structures to be built in Athens at the dawn of the 21st century. Located in the historic centre of Athens with its strong neoclassical memories, the building occupies the corner of a significant block which includes heritage structures such as the neoclassical NBG building and the academic Athens Stock Exchange. Opposite are the eclectic Melas Building (1887, E. Ziller architect), which has been converted into the NBG’s cultural centre, and the classical modern building of the Commercial Bank of Greece.
The design by architects E. Sakellaridou, M. Papanikolaou, and M. Pollani, who had a consultant the famous Swiss-Italian architect Mario Botta, received first prize in an open architectural competition.
The building accommodates the significant activities of the Bank administration, and has a total area of 6500m2. On the first and second floor is the general assembly hall with a capacity of 400 persons, fully equipped with the most advanced audiovisual system. On the third floor are the offices of the bank’s vice-governors, and on the fourth the offices of the advisors to the vice-governors. The fifth floor houses the dining room for the Bank’s senior executives as well as areas for the library, lounge and guest quarters. On the four underground levels there are areas for parking, the machine room and storage.
The ground floor has been designed with a glass floor and metal bridges to demonstrate the restored sections of the retaining walls of the Acharnian Way, as well as a section of this street, covering most of these finds. The main atrium permits the interior to be lighted naturally.
The neo-modern monumentality of the building with its robust internationalist style has been consciously contrasted with the classicist line of its historic surroundings. The building consists of one main volume, parts of which are abstracted in such a way that the primary solid remains always clearly defined. The principle of symmetry in the treatment of the main façade on Eolou St is the only common element with the Bank’s adjacent neoclassical building. The other two sides are treated as accompanying elevations.
Great weight has been given to the chromatic combination of the luxurious materials on the building: the exterior and interior wall facings of sand-coloured poros stone, black unpolished granite on the floors and light-coloured wood panelling on ceilings and walls. The poros stone on the façades is divided into horizontal zones that will, according to the play of light and shadow, be more or less visible.

[URL="http://www.culture2000.tee.gr/ATHENS/ENGLISH/main2.html"]source[/URL]

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
12,875 Posts
We need to keep this thread open and up-to-date as, in the absence of skyscraper construction this represents the cutting edge of building technology and architectural design in Greece. :)

21 - 40 of 194 Posts