SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Mod nye projekter
8,413 Posts
Lurblæserne Rådhuspladsen.

Her gik jeg og troede at Lurblæserne repræsenterede vores stolte vikingenations tidligere krigsbedrifter, og så viser det sig at de blæser i hornet hvergang en jomfru passerer !
Typisk dansk :cheers:

Der skal under alle omstændigheder blæses til angreb i aften når Ukrainerne kommer på besøg i Parken. Forza.

·
Mod nye projekter
8,413 Posts
Det er i denne triste tid en trøst at tænke på at vores forfædre her i byen oplevede sult, fattigdom, mord, nedbrændinger, bombardementer, pest, belejringer, besættelser og ildebrande.
Alligevel overlevede byen og dens indbyggere. Det kommer også til at ske denne gang.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice one Hafnia

Fittingly your picture is taken from what (more or less) would have been the southern ramparts of Carlstad, the huge Swedish military installation that for 2 years terrorized the city 1658-60.
Back then you would probably instinctively have centered your frame on Vor Frue Kirke, which must have been an impressive sight from afar.

If it wasn’t for the British, it's spire would to this day have been the tallest building in the kingdom (along with Herlev hospital 120m).

Yes there has been many ups and downs. I do however agree that the city will still stand when this latest historic “plague” has past.
It will be interesting to follow the near future, how and what will be built, is the “boom" finally over? What with all the hotels? Anlægsloft etc.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Fittingly your picture is taken from what (more or less) would have been the southern ramparts of Carlstad, the huge Swedish military installation that for 2 years terrorized the city 1658-60.
Back then you would probably instinctively have centered your frame on Vor Frue Kirke, which must have been an impressive sight from afar.
You jut blew my mind. I had to look it up and wow .. Now I know about Calstad.

If it wasn’t for the British, it's spire would to this day have been the tallest building in the kingdom (along with Herlev hospital 120m).
Can you exaplain more? Is this because the british seiges destroyed parts of the city which rebuilt newer and taller?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Can you exaplain more? Is this because the british seiges destroyed parts of the city which rebuilt newer and taller?
The short story goes. After the Swedes left, Copenhagen was ravaged by several great fires which had destroyed most of the medieval city core by 1800.

The British bombarded a comparatively new, fireproofed and generally tall Copenhagen. Too maximize impact they therefore aimed for the tallest structure they could see (imagine viewing Copenhagen form the container terminal in Nordhavnen). The spire eventually caught fire and fell into the nave.

Partially because of bankruptcy but also due to a change in architectural style, the church was rebuilt without its spire, and its remaining beautiful Gothic brick walls was rearranged and plastered. Generally, the city only fully recovered in the later construction boom brought on by industrialization, which led to massive expansion of the city’s limits and many of the buildings we know today.

Curiously Carlsberg donated and built a new copper spire for Nicolai Kirke which had suffered the same fate. The plans to rebuild Vor Frue sadly never materialized.

An interesting Danish text on the subject, that draws many parallels to locations you would recognize today: https://www.chakoten.dk/1807 Københavns Bombardement.pdf

Edit: sorry for going even more OT here (Corona times). On the same page i just stumbled upon their newsletter from march 19 about Carlstad that reads: "Da svensken bankede på Københavns dør"
(don't get confused by them confusing Brønshøj and brøndby. The latter was never, and will never be part of Copenhagen history)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Curiously Carlsberg donated and built a new copper spire for Nicolai Kirke which had suffered the same fate. The plans to rebuild Vor Frue sadly never materialized.
Thanks - I have been surprised the main church of Copenhagen is so humble. And am surprised that the church was never rebuilt. Plenty cities rebuilt their churches and castles to 'former glory' around Europe.

·
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #197 (Edited)
Just a couple of really beautiful photos from Rune Johansen (who knew Linkedin is such a good place for photos?!)

Enghave Plads looking towards East Amager - old photo since the metro construction is visbile

Now the camera is tilted slightly overlooking primarily V and K

This vantage point is pretty good as well. In a few years with the Post towers and the Carlsberg district in the distance.

Night time at the beautiful Central St

The even more beautiful Marble Church

And last but not least the inner harbour

What a magnificent little big city we have!

181 - 200 of 202 Posts