SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
insatiable
309 Posts
how i despise these hypermarkets ..... they are such a pain. They are basically huge ugly boxes with one HUGE supermarket and some additional really small crappy shops. When i want to go shop for food i never find ANYTHING in Geant, Auchan or Carrefour. Architecturally they are really amongst the worst of the worst and its so bad that there are so many of them now in Poland.

·
Hotel Business
792 Posts
yep, still no IKEA, I really don't know what are they waiting for....
I've seen a lot of apartments of my frinds and family in Latvia with the latest TV/stereo/video/homekeeping equipment between 30 year old soviet time half broken furniture... Strange....
But it's also still like this because many people, especially 30+ , still don't know that their home would look a loooooot different and better with a rather small investment. People still are having the soviet time standard for home interior.
I'm sure if such big thing as IKEA appears here, it will change so fast that there would not be needed to cut any trees for some 10 years because of the amounts of old furniture which people will throw away...

·
Registered
130 Posts
delfin_pl said:
^^ yes its weird, well in Poland Ikea chain is not so big (only 8 markets, 2 U/C) still Ikea has really great stuff for a really competitive price, you should encourage Swedes - ITS WORTH IT!! :)

My girlfriend is studiyng in Warszaw and I visit her quite often, we actually went to IKEA just outside Wawa and bought some furnitures for her apartment, and I bought a typical swedish hotdog in the cafeteria :eat:

Btw, love the polish beer, especially Zywiec :cheers:

·
Banned
748 Posts
IKEA is working in the Baltic states, it has its office for Baltic states in Kaunas but they mostly just buy wood and furniture production which is made in factories of the Baltic states - mostly Lithuania.

·
Banned
748 Posts
delfin_pl said:
looking at its official site it seems that Ikea invests only in bigger countries, BTW outside Lodz there is the biggest Ikea factory
Not only, but ofcourse they invest more in bigger countries. As I said before, IKEA buys furniture and wood production from Lithuania (and other Baltic states), but it does not sell much because our market is too small and already taken over by Lithuanian companies, so there are no big IKEA shopping centers.
http://www.balticmarket.kommers.se/shownews.asp?id=97
http://www.compiler.fi/tradestation/baltics/lithuania/lt-archive/lt-archive2004/lt.week30.html

·
Banned
748 Posts
delfin_pl said:
^^ too bad, Ikea has some really good stuff I love its furnitures, but I bet that they will open some markets in Baltics as well
I think that IKEA furniture is sold in some shops in Lithuania (I'm not sure though). But I think that it is very good that our furniture producers expanded faster than IKEA came to us. If IKEA was faster we would not have our big companies such as SBA. And now SBA group is planning to build cool office building in Vilnius, so you see it's better to have our own companies. ;)

Some SBA furniture shop in Vilnius:

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
well in Poland we also have lots of Polish companies producing furnitures but still its better to have a competition as IKEA is for sure :). As I said I've checked on the web and Ikea policy is to open markets in bigger countries, but within few years maybe they will open some shops in small coutries.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.