Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Photosession: Riga from above (+25 new additions)

There are photos of Riga from two high-rise point of views: Science Academy and St. Peter's Church. All the major cranes and construction sites is visible (between them is some misterious personally for me). Some photos is in smaller size, but some which have more detailed views, in larger size.

Let's start with Riga's South region, where nothing important is happening currently (excepts South Bridge, of course):

South Bridge:

TV Tower:

Views of Central Riga:

Old Town, Central Market, Bus station and on the top of picture the Science Academy - place from where is taken part of these photos:

The Dom Church:

Reval Hotel Latvia:

Freedom Monument:

Central Station's clock in forefront:

Centre - East:

Centre - North & East. Very active construction area, as you can see.

Same area from other point of view. Rietumu Capital Centre on the right. But what's these bulidings under construction on the center?

North & West. You can see Solaris buildings in Imanta, but I'm wondering about that yellow building - Imantas Pērle, in picture it seems very far from Solaris! But it's optical illusion, Actually there is only about 500 metres.

Picture full of cranes. I counted nine.

West. Panorama Plaza buildings:

Latvian Television building:

Eastern Riga, Purvciems (Astra Lux building in centre). Look at the cranes on the right side from it, there are very large construction site, I guess Dreilini:

And at last: What the hell is this really big construction site otherside of Daugava? I can't find descriptions about some currently construction activity in this region. Maybe Gatis can help?:

·
Landscape Architect
71 Posts
VC,
those are some great pics, incredibly comprehensive! The detail is so good that I was almost looking for people i know on the streets!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
Now, I'm taking my camera and bicycle and going to explore what's really happening at Z-Towers, Da Vinci and that misterious construction site which is seen at the last picture!

·
Landscape Architect
71 Posts
Many heads would roll if something like this would've been allowed to happen in Vilnius. As much as i'm pro partial urbanization of our way too big green areas, this is disturbing in every possible way it can be
That perspective of Panorama Plaza does not provide the full context. The highrises are sited along Valdemara Iela, the primary corridor from the city to the airport and the Jurmala expressway. Here is a view of the sightline from the Zinatnes Akademija (Science Academy) to the building site.

The shot Vecais took is a telephoto one which shows a lot of green between the buildings and the city.

·
DoM
947 Posts
Great and rare photos! Thanks. :)

"New commies" like astra lux does not disturb me too much as long as they are far from old city center. I think we have many similar "new commies" in all S&B cities.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Thanks! Great pictures! What regards that "construction site" behind Kipsala - to my knowledge in this place construction cranes are just used to move around goods.

Panorama Plaza is bad architecture, no doubts about this for me. But it is not green area as it looks in the picture - it is dense area of active urban development.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cool pix!
Question on the 2nd photo: What are those 2 cooling towers? Where are they located. Also, left of the chimney way way out in the distant horizon you can see a building sticking up. What and where is that?
Keep up the great work!
Pulkvedis

·
Registered
344 Posts
Cool pics. Inner yards still look like they need a serious facelift, though.

Is that Riga HES in the distance behind the yellowish commies, btw?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts