SkyscraperCity banner

1981 - 2000 of 5475 Posts

·
Far East London
7,451 Posts
I thought Barcelona was made up of huge swathes of derlict looking apartment blocks, graffitti and mess with a few (nice) touristy bits.

The Ramblas was an absolute dump of shoddy looking bars and restaurants and gaudy neon displays.

Manchester, albeit much smaller, pisses all over Barcelona for street culture, cleanliness and atmosphere.

People view foreign places with rose tinted spectacles.

I am not bigging up Manchester: been to plenty of stunning places like Prague, Salzburg, Seattle, San Fran etc...all of which are great.

For me Barcelona is a dump with some strange international reputation for being high-class.

Barcelona was the cleanest city i have ever been to. there always seemed to be someone sweeping the streets

·
Registered
627 Posts
Barcelona was the cleanest city i have ever been to. there always seemed to be someone sweeping the streets
Funny, the first thing I noticed was how dirty it was! Looked to me like it had been done up for the Olympics in 92 and hadn't been touched since.

Throughly enjoyed my two trips there, but really don't understand why it's so highly rated as a European / World city.

Madrid and Valencia are much nicer imo (my opinion as 'just' a visitor).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Northern Housing Excellence

Manchester Piccadilly Tower to be built
Thursday, 27 September 2007

Planning permission for the skyscraper to be built next to the Ashton Canal Basin with direct access to Manchester Piccadilly station, was confirmed back in 2005.

Once built, the tower will include nearly 700 apartments. A luxury hotel and a 700 car capacity underground car park will also be built.

In charge of the project is property development and investment group Ballymore, which acquired a 95 per cent interest in the project from Merepak.

The tower has been designed by the architects Woods Bagot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ballymore Properties to develop Europe’s tallest residential building in Manchester

Following last week’s acquisition of the Kudamm Karee, in Berlin, Ballymore today announced the acquisition of a site to develop Europe’s tallest residential building next to Manchester Piccadilly station. Construction on the 60 storey building will start early next year.

Ballymore, the Irish associated international property development and investment group, has taken a 95% interest in the Piccadilly Tower project, a 1 million square feet (93,000 square m) mixed use development. In addition to the Piccadilly Tower, there will be two lower buildings on the site. The project has been designed by Woods Bagot architects. The project was previously jointly owned by Merepark and M2Evolve which obtained detailed planning approval. Merepark is exiting to concentrate on other schemes in the region while M2Evolve will retain a 5% interest.

The Piccadilly Tower will have 430 residential units in phase one. The second development phase will see a further 267 residential units added and a luxury hotel. The site is beside the Ashton Canal Basin and will have direct access to Manchester Piccadilly station.

Sean Mulryan, Chairman and Chief Executive of Ballymore said:

“The Piccadilly Tower is an important project and we are delighted to have acquired a majority interest. Ballymore places enormous emphasis on using state of the art architecture and technical excellence in order to consistently develop our commercial, residential and mixed-use properties to the highest possible standards. Designing and developing the tallest residential tower in Europe will further underline our position as a leading developer and trusted partner.

“Our focus remains on the regeneration of inner-city sites close to good transport links and this canalside project is a perfect example. Manchester is an international, dynamic and cosmopolitan City and a development like this will be a great addition to both industry and the local community. It is a great tribute to the vendors of the Piccadilly project that they had the vision for this site and secured the land and the necessary permissions.”

Sir Howard Bernstein, Chief Executive of Manchester City Council said:

“This is an important scheme for the City in general and, especially, for the Piccadilly area in the heart of the City which is transforming itself into an exciting destination quarter.

We look forward to a new relationship with Ballymore, a leading international developer, which will bring longstanding benefit to the City.”

·
Mancunian Member
7,168 Posts
Piccadilly Tower Tallest In Europe

Thursday, 27th September 2007

Construction work on what will be Europe’s tallest residential skyscraper will start in January, it has been announced.

The 60-storey Piccadilly tower will be built next to Piccadilly train station in Manchester.

It will include 420 apartments in phase one. The second development phase will see a further 267 residential units added as well as a 220 bedroom luxury hotel. A 700 car capacity underground car park will also be built.

The tower is now under the direction of property development and investment group Ballymore, which acquired a 95% interest in the project from Merepak.

Ballymore is one of Europe's largest property developers and investors. Its most significant interests are in the UK, Ireland and the countries of Central and Eastern Europe.

The project has been designed by Woods Bagot architects.
http://www.builderandengineer.co.uk/news/general/piccadilly-tower-tallest-in-europe-787.html

:banana:

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Ballymore set for record-breaking tower
15:27 | 27.09.07

Irish developer Ballymore is set to build Europe’s tallest residential building after buying a site next to Manchester Piccadilly station.

By David Doyle

The 60-storey tower already has planning consent obtained by the joint venture before the sale. M2Evolve will keep a 5% stake in the project.

Work will now start on the 1m sq ft mixed-use development the start of next year. The scheme will cost £300m to develop.

At 610ft the tower will be the tallest residential building in Europe, surpassing Macnhester’s 48-storey Beetham Tower which is 554 ft high.

The Piccadilly Tower will include just under 700 flats, a luxury hotel and 30,000 sq ft of office space.

The tower has been designed by Woods Bagot architects – who were also behind Ballymore’s £160m Central Village in Liverpool.

·
Mancunian Member
7,168 Posts
When the Brummies post something good about this tower, you know it's going to be built for sure! ;)

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Well done guys! Ballymore ride to the rescue! :banana:

I am most amused about the previous guy trying to big himself up about a joint venture with Ballymore and ditching the old partner - now we find out Ballymore own 95%! :lol:

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Cannot wait for this bad boy to start rising. It's going to look HUGE! How long will construction take? 18months? Wasn't the core at Beetham rising by two floors a week. That would be 30 weeks, with 10 weeks prep work and 25/40 finishing- i'm plucking figures out of the air now, but that would be mid '09 completion :nuts:

When done all you lads that kept faith and kept the cheese curdling- I reckon you're all due at least one 'I told you so!' each.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Am I right in surmising that the tall building will not happen till phase 2 (i.e. the Western end of the site)?
no, I thought this so I checked on the inacitytower website. The number of apartments in phase 2 (267) matches the total planned for the smaller 2 towers.

Presumably by syainging they are building the hotel in phase 2 means that because they don't yet have a hotel operator for the lower section of the tower they are going to crack on with full focus on the aprtments, potentially leaving the bottom section empty.

However I'm sure they will get one before the tower is complete, maybe before the car park and foundations are done and start work on it then.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
no, I thought this so I checked on the inacitytower website. The number of apartments in phase 2 (267) matches the total planned for the smaller 2 towers.

Presumably by syainging they are building the hotel in phase 2 means that because they don't yet have a hotel operator for the lower section of the tower they are going to crack on with full focus on the aprtments, potentially leaving the bottom section empty.

However I'm sure they will get one before the tower is complete, maybe before the car park and foundations are done and start work on it then.
thanks - that sounds good news

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Cannot wait for this bad boy to start rising. It's going to look HUGE! How long will construction take? 18months? Wasn't the core at Beetham rising by two floors a week. That would be 30 weeks, with 10 weeks prep work and 25/40 finishing- i'm plucking figures out of the air now, but that would be mid '09 completion :nuts:

When done all you lads that kept faith and kept the cheese curdling- I reckon you're all due at least one 'I told you so!' each.
My guess is 2-2.5 years :)

1981 - 2000 of 5475 Posts