SkyscraperCity banner

2021 - 2040 of 5491 Posts

·
Clean-shaven and foolish
1,363 Posts
haha. yes, well its set up to email me the press releases at 6am. only problem is its yesterdays the day after. gits. i need to work out how to change the wire timing.i guess i wont post the very high res renderings either then.
Any changes to the design Goth?

·
Administrator
34,228 Posts
here's the base of the tower

no design changes by the looks of it. cant believe those magazines ealrier in this thread actually used vast chunks of the press release verbatim without even adding any info to it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
those are the orginal renders...

these are more up to date and reflect the current scheme... though you are right, there aren't any significant changes :

·
Administrator
34,228 Posts
hmm. not that i doubt what youre saying, and you probably know this already but republic pr are doing woods bagot and powers court media are doing ballymore. these are from the latter.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts

Whilst I do like this building (the form is great and the height so impressive) I find this angle a little dull - IMO it would look better if the central slab protruded from the gables to give a little more 3D-ness.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Pity in a way.

I still cannot understand why the Victorian arched retaining wall of the Eastern half of the Store Street podium could not be retained as the base of the lower apartment blocks. This Store Street frontage is the weakest element of the whole scheme - and it is a shame to discard high quality historic brickwork.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hmm. not that i doubt what youre saying, and you probably know this already but republic pr are doing woods bagot and powers court media are doing ballymore. these are from the latter.
...yes, I'm sure you are right... Ballymore marketing has now eclipsed inacity's obviously, and woods bagot have always done their own thing on this scheme anyway... I think WB may have fed Ballymore these images... maybe the new stuff should have been sent to powers court and ballymore?

·
Registered
158 Posts

Whilst I do like this building (the form is great and the height so impressive) I find this angle a little dull - IMO it would look better if the central slab protruded from the gables to give a little more 3D-ness.
i think this image was produced to demonstrate the access and public realm, rather than the architecture...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Pity in a way.

I still cannot understand why the Victorian arched retaining wall of the Eastern half of the Store Street podium could not be retained as the base of the lower apartment blocks. This Store Street frontage is the weakest element of the whole scheme - and it is a shame to discard high quality historic brickwork.
it's really not worth saving, and restoration would make the scheme impossible, and impossibly expensive. Although you are looking at £300m, it's really not a lot of money for a scheme this size... ask gothicform how much a similar building would cost to build in London.

·
Registered
272 Posts
So if it's due to start in January, who are the contractors? They must be signed up?
the first stage will just be the enabling contract, i don't think anyone is yet signed up, but this isn't Carillions area of expertise. other contracts for the buildings will follow after the site is cleared

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Pity in a way.

This was noted by the nazis nerd.
On the whole the building didnt trouble too much but there was big concern about how it hit Store St and the public realm. I think the public realm has been improved in the mean time but, like you say, Store street is the ugly sister.

2021 - 2040 of 5491 Posts