SkyscraperCity banner

5461 - 5480 of 5491 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
This plot is not big enough for an entire district. As a former resident of Ducie Street, there is also a healthy district in this area, of which this tower would be a part of. It's not an either-or contest.
I do recognise that plot is not big enough for an entire district. I’m commenting on the proposal of this tower vs the wider vision for the area alongside the HS2 station which is minus Piccadilly Tower and predominantly filled with mid-rise (albeit just a vision and no concrete proposals). It feels like what has been envisaged since 2006 is an awful lot more beneficial to the city.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
They will get market value, which does include current and future uses, planning consents and alternative uses where there would have been a reasonable chance of getting consent if it wasn’t for the proposed scheme, ie, HS2. The valuation cannot reflect any increased value as a direct result of the scheme. They should do well out of it.
I think this is right -I’m sure they are at least incentivised to maintain intention to build it for the purpose of maximising CPO compensation.

That said, the site is likely to be a crossroads for HS2 and NPR and within 10 minutes of (in normal times) a growing international airport. This locale is ripe for densification with mixed use towers of a similar stature to the previously / existing proposed scheme (i.e. I think 200m plus mixed used schemes should be viable).

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I do recognise that plot is not big enough for an entire district. I’m commenting on the proposal of this tower vs the wider vision for the area alongside the HS2 station which is minus Piccadilly Tower and predominantly filled with mid-rise (albeit just a vision and no concrete proposals). It feels like what has been envisaged since 2006 is an awful lot more beneficial to the city.
I get you but, unless I'm mis-remembering, the latest 'vision' for Piccadilly post HS2 features towers around it, and a prominent mini-Shard one actually within it, so a tall here (assuming the tracks don't run through it) would be good.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I get you but, unless I'm mis-remembering, the latest 'vision' for Piccadilly post HS2 features towers around it, and a prominent mini-Shard one actually within it, so a tall here (assuming the tracks don't run through it) would be good.
Yeah in reality that is what will come about surely. My view is that although this was an exciting proposal 15 years ago or so, if it never sees the light of day, then so be it. ‘Meh’ would be the word to describe the feeling. There are more exciting proposals and the future of this neck of the woods has evolved to such a degree that, in my opinion, this particular tower isn’t needed to make that statement, or “put Manchester on the map”. There will be other alternative proposals.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I am aware of other landlords in the area on the approach to Piccadilly affected by HS2 safeguarding notice. The area is now seriously affected by planning blight. This affects everything from refurbishing buildings and upgrading outdated internet exchanges.

Whether Ballymore seriously want to develop this site is disputable given the length of time from initial proposals (12 years?). However their argument on HS2 has validity. Certainly if Ballymore had no long term intention of developing the site they would have offloaded or 'flipped' this site years ago. They tried selling in 2016 but that was just prior to the 'tower boom' we have now seen.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Yeah in reality that is what will come about surely. My view is that although this was an exciting proposal 15 years ago or so, if it never sees the light of day, then so be it. ‘Meh’ would be the word to describe the feeling. There are more exciting proposals and the future of this neck of the woods has evolved to such a degree that, in my opinion, this particular tower isn’t needed to make that statement, or “put Manchester on the map”. There will be other alternative proposals.
Oh, it'd definitely need a re-design - it's very mid noughties. But I think it's already been indicated earlier in this thread that they would have a new design if they got the go ahead.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
It's been mentioned a couple of times and even on the info I gathered from the press release that a re-design would happen.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I am aware of other landlords in the area on the approach to Piccadilly affected by HS2 safeguarding notice. The area is now seriously affected by planning blight. This affects everything from refurbishing buildings and upgrading outdated internet exchanges.

Whether Ballymore seriously want to develop this site is disputable given the length of time from initial proposals (12 years?). However their argument on HS2 has validity. Certainly if Ballymore had no long term intention of developing the site they would have offloaded or 'flipped' this site years ago. They tried selling in 2016 but that was just prior to the 'tower boom' we have now seen.
Thanks js1000. Good to have some input from the other side. That certainly puts my mind at ease a little even if it doesn't for others.

·
10th February 2008
59,150 Posts
Quite years back I did a sad car count in the car park. It was rammed. I can't remember the exact car park charges I calculated over the year, but it was pretty impressive. Especially as Ballymore only employed 1 bloke in a booth watching the car park. I bet he's not there anymore. Forget Piccadilly tower and HS2 for now, Ballymore have been making a very nice annual profit on the car park ever since they laid the tarmac. And it will stay that way until Ballymore or/and MCC make a final decision on the car park

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Who cares.

If a building of this scale is viable in this location then something like it will be built on a plot somewhere thereabouts at some point in the future.

I agree the greater prize is a whole new district to explore and enjoy.

·
SSC Member
1,875 Posts
Would the new line run through this site?
It’s possible the station frontage will interact with the top corner of this site. It depends on how the design evolves.

There is definitely the opportunity here to connect into the station i suspect depending on the final HS2 design.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quite years back I did a sad car count in the car park. It was rammed. I can't remember the exact car park charges I calculated over the year, but it was pretty impressive. Especially as Ballymore only employed 1 bloke in a booth watching the car park. I bet he's not there anymore.
You'd win that bet, all camera controlled now. Prior to covid this car park was full every mon-fri by 8am

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
No surprise whatsoever and it was known years ago that is was never going to happen. No doubt Ballymore made a handsome profit for doing SFA apart from building an average looking car oark.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
No surprise whatsoever and it was known years ago that is was never going to happen. No doubt Ballymore made a handsome profit for doing SFA apart from building an average looking car oark.
More importantly though, HS2 are taking over the site which will be a far greater asset to the city than yet another (hehe) skyscraper!

·
was Local lad
3,424 Posts
I don't know, how much does it cost to hire a giant Piling rig and demolish 400 meters of railway viaduct? Saying that I am sure HS2 has helped them recoup any construction costs.

5461 - 5480 of 5491 Posts