SkyscraperCity banner

1961 - 1980 of 5475 Posts

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Gateway House

Hopefully the back of Gateway House will be attended to when this scheme commences. The car park area and the rear of the building is pretty awful- Not critical at present given that not so many people see it, but this looks set to change.

·
Salford Red
1,561 Posts
I'd say that there are a lot of things in that area that need attending to, but apart from land ownership issues, there is no reason why they couldn't turn that particular issue into an underground carpark whilst they are at it, even doubling the number of spaces.

There seems to be a problem in the UK with making the effort to have underground parking. Where I live they dug up a street as long as Deansgate, stuck three parking levels in, covered it up, and bobs your uncle - all in the space of two years. And this is only a town of 300,000 or so, and it's the 8th one they have done in the past 8 years.

Considering the hole they are going to have to dig in any case, getting rid of that carpark is a nothingness.

·
Registered
237 Posts
have you ever been to barcelona (if you havent you should go btw!)? all their car parks are underground, even right in the city centre - great idea if you ask me.

anyway, seeing this monster rising in front of me as i sit on the train to work is bound to liven me up in the morning! cant wait!

·
10th February 2008
58,806 Posts
I'm in town on Wednesday. Passing. Should there be any rubble anywhere in or near the car park I will take a picture of it.

·
Salford Red
1,561 Posts
have you ever been to barcelona (if you havent you should go btw!)? all their car parks are underground, even right in the city centre - great idea if you ask me.
Yes, Barcelona is about 200 miles North of where I live. They have an underground motorway that goes through the city though, so are slightly more advanced in their thinking to most UK towns and cities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beautiful city, pity the locals as generally such rude ignorant inbreds. Thats not just me, its what the vast majority of foreigns living there think.

·
Banned
6,512 Posts
I thought Barcelona was made up of huge swathes of derlict looking apartment blocks, graffitti and mess with a few (nice) touristy bits.

The Ramblas was an absolute dump of shoddy looking bars and restaurants and gaudy neon displays.

Manchester, albeit much smaller, pisses all over Barcelona for street culture, cleanliness and atmosphere.

People view foreign places with rose tinted spectacles.

I am not bigging up Manchester: been to plenty of stunning places like Prague, Salzburg, Seattle, San Fran etc...all of which are great.

For me Barcelona is a dump with some strange international reputation for being high-class.

·
1,686 Posts
I thought Barcelona was made up of huge swathes of derlict looking apartment blocks, graffitti and mess with a few (nice) touristy bits.

The Ramblas was an absolute dump of shoddy looking bars and restaurants and gaudy neon displays.

Manchester, albeit much smaller, pisses all over Barcelona for street culture, cleanliness and atmosphere.

People view foreign places with rose tinted spectacles.

I am not bigging up Manchester: been to plenty of stunning places like Prague, Salzburg, Seattle, San Fran etc...all of which are great.

For me Barcelona is a dump with some strange international reputation for being high-class.
Agreed - ditto Milan which was even worse.

·
Salford Red
1,561 Posts
I am not bigging up Manchester: been to plenty of stunning places like Prague
I stopped reading at that point. The outskirts of Barcelona are as you describe, most of the large Spanish cities are the same. The further you go into the centre the more expensive it gets to buy or rent, and the centres of Spanish cities are lived in. What makes your post so irrelevant however is that the very same thing that you accuse Barcelona of being, Prague has in equally good measure if not more so. I've spent a lot of time in Prague (and know the places off the tourist track), and to say it's stunning in comparison to Barcelona is deliberately misleading to say the least.

·
Salford Red
1,561 Posts
Agreed - ditto Milan which was even worse.
If Milan is a dump, then Manchester is a tanning pit. I love these fleeting statement. What are you trying to say?

1961 - 1980 of 5475 Posts