4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the weather wasn't very cooperative but i still had a great time

click the mega pano for full size

Downtown

time to go to Southside

i used to live here

i used to live here too

what's a Birmingham thread by me without some grit?

and when i was going to photograph Norwood on the second day, it was pouring, but i got one good shot

the view from Vulcan

Homewood, the suburb over the mountain that's getting new urbanism

the moon over Homewood

bonus mega pano, click it for full size

-

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Thanks for the wonderful shots. It was GREAT seeing you. Come back to my house when I actually have a bed in the guest room... and thanks again for dinner.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I know Birmingham is often compared to Pittsburgh, but I can't help but find a lot of similarities to Buffalo. Lots of similar architecture.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Downtown Birmingham - Absolutely Beautiful

I will probably be accused of being biased; but Birmingham is absolutely one of the most beautiful cities in the South. There are few cities in the South that have the topography ( The hills right in the downtown core) and architectural diversity like Birmingham (one of the largest early 20th Century terra-cotta skylines –in the south) – still intact. I love downtown and South Side- even Homewood, which is beginning to have an impressive urban density with all the mid-rise residential development taking place. Thanks for sharing the photos. Considering all the places you’ve lived (LSyd) I can tell through your photographs that Birmingham is one of your favorite cities.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Every photo seems to have a story behind it, worth hearing. Although the weather didn't seem to be the best for photos, this thread is easily one of the top-3 B'ham threads I've seen :eek:kay: Can't single out one image, but if hard pressed I would go with the one below:

·
Registered
506 Posts
^^ That is the view of Birmingham from a-top Red Mountain. This is probably the most popular scenic overlook in the Birmingham region - although there are several. Some are less well-know than others.

·
Roll Tide
99 Posts
Great pics, LSyd. Been missing your views of Birmingham.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ thanks y'all.

expat, i missed 'em too.

-

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Very nice pics...thanks for posting. Birmingham is, by far, Alabama's premier city, IMO.

·
Amurika!
1,136 Posts
I hope this doesn't piss off the Huntsville people too much, but that town always reminded me of a great big office park. It's nice and all, but it doesn't compare to Birmingham in any way, shape or form. I know people are going to ask who am I to talk being from a little rat bastard town like Gadsden, but I still have my opinions. :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i agree, nice area, but it reminds me of an office park in Dallas called Los Colinas, among a few others. nice area though

and great pics of Bham!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts