SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I show you several pics of my trip to Germany the last November. I was in the region of Nordrhein-Westfalen (Cologne). The trip was very short, only for a weekend. I bought tickets to travel with Germanwings from Madrid to Koln-Bonn airport by only 63 euros (¡taxes including!). The airline was very nice. No delays, a very smart crew, and tha plane was very new. The only problem was the space between seats, but by only 60 euros I couldn't ask for more.

Although the trip was very short, it was very intense and I could visit many places. I was in three different cities: Cologne (or Koln), Acheen and Dusseldorf. Also I enjoyed the landscape between the cities. By the way, the weather was very, very cold, although it was November still.

Well, first of all , I begin with Acheen (or Aquisgran in spanish). Before, several pics I took from the train between Koln and Acheen:

These factories or electrical centers in the middle of the plain, were seen from everywhere. It seems, in Germany, each 30 kms there is one of them:

And this is Achenn. It is one of the most important historical cities in Germany. It is Carlomagno's town, and their citizens say the town is the heart of Europe because is in the vertice where Germany, Holland and Belgium join:

This is the Carolingian palace (I think it is now the town hall):

They were already preparing the typical christmas markets. By the way, they were very annoying to contemplete the monuments:

This is the building of the Cathedral, that contains the carolingian chapel, where Karl was crowned like emperor of the sacred roman german empire:

These stained glass windows made the inner like a crystal box:

This is the carolingean chapel, plenty of jewels:

The rest of the city doesn't have too much to see. Like in most of the german citis, Aachen was devastated during the second world war, and after that, rebuilt. Some buildings were rebuilt faithfully, but others disappeared, and in their places, modern biuldings were built.

This was one of the gates of the town:

Some pics of a nice park:

Out of the historical centre, the theatre:

And finally, the train station or hauptbanhof:

During afternoon, I visited Dusseldorf. This city at the north of Cologne, also was devastated, and partially rebuilt. There aren't too many monuments to see. But is is a very comercial city, and it is the seat of many of the japanish companies in Europe... In my opinion, the best of the city were the impressive comercial centers and malls in the centre. Unfortunately, it was getting dark and I couldn't take nice pics:

An glass skyscraper in the centre:

A church in the middle of the "city" of Dusseldorf:

This is the water channel in the middle of Konigstrasee (king's street). The main street of Dusseldorf is plenty of comercial centers.

And the impressive Rhein river, with a TV tower at the background:

This is a kind of light:

And the last city, Cologne or Koln. It was also completely devastated, although the gothic cathedral was saved miraculously. According to guides of Germany, the cathedral is the most important monument of Germany:

First of all, several pics of the train station. Like in the rest of german cities, it is the centre of the life of the town:

Here, and ICE (Intercity express):

The traffic of trains in the station was impressive. There are a lot of kinds of trains (ICE, regionals, internationals). I think, more or less, a train arrived to the station each one or two minutes... and the hall of the station was like a comercial center, plenty of people...

Several pics of the Rhein river. It was really a wide river. This is the Deutz bridge, one of the first bridges in the world, built in this style:

And this one is the bridge for trains, near the train station. I think there were 6 rails in the bridge!!

Here there is an ICE crossing the Rhein river:

An old train of Deutsche Bahn:

An smart bridge:

At the background, you can see the train station and a modern dom for spectacles.

A typical hull furrowing the Rhein river. I think this river can be furrowed from south Germany to his opening in Holland.

And the main monument in Cologne, the cathedral:

The inner is also amazing, with brilliant stained glass windows. At the end, that golden piece is the golden coffin were the three magic kings are buried:

It is possible to visit one of the tower. It is necessary go up by a narrow spiral staircase about 25-30 levels. From the top, the views are incredible.

This is the train bridge. Sometimes, there are 3 or 4 trains crossing the river at the same time.

The city:

The TV tower and the typical german factories:

Toward the ground:

Toward the other tower:

The inner of the tower:

A meander of the Rhein river:

And finally some pics of the rest of the city. There aren't more historical buildings. There are only several old churches that have been faithfully rebuilt, like this one of Sant Martin:

Any baroque church:

At the other border of the Rhein, there are modern buildings and big green parks:

That's all.

Regards.

Atlan

·
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪
Hui Wäller? Allemol!
2,618 Posts
thanks for this nice tour through west germany :)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Fantastic collection of photos. I especially loved Aachen and Cologne. The photos in Cologne of the Cologne Dom are beautiful. It is a beautiful church and the views from the top were fantastic. Thanks for taking us along on your tour of Germany!!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Ah, that brings back some good memories, I went to Dusseldorf and Cologne back in 2000. I didn't see much of Dusseldorf, but I remembered how amazed I was at Cologne Dom. I remember going inside and lighting a candle. What is the main shopping district to the south of Cologne Dom Lucky Luke?

·
Registered
188 Posts
CrazyCanuck said:
Ah, that brings back some good memories, I went to Dusseldorf and Cologne back in 2000. I didn't see much of Dusseldorf, but I remembered how amazed I was at Cologne Dom. I remember going inside and lighting a candle. What is the main shopping district to the south of Cologne Dom Lucky Luke?
I think you mean "Hohe Strasse" and "Schildergasse".

@Atlan: Really wonderful pictures.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
LuckyLuke said:
Thanks a very nice tour.. How did you like my hometown?
The DUS pics where the weaker ones, mainly because they were taken at night, but I've seen other pics of the city and it is one of the nicest cities in Germany, together with Munich and Berlin, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LuckyLuke said:
Thanks a very nice tour.. How did you like my hometown?
As you have seen on my pics, unfortunately, when I arrived to Dusseldorf, it was very dark, and I couldn't enjoy too much the architecture of this city.

In my opinion, the best of Dusseldorf was the view from the border of the Rhein river toward the TV tower and a high bridge. Really, I thought I was in Canada or USA....

I also liked the skyscrapers of Dusseldorf. Really, I didn't know Dusseldorf is so important city. In fact, when I took the plane from Madrid to Koln, at the same time, in other gates, another plane of Iberia went out to Dusseldorf.. then I began to think Dusseldorf must be nice and I said, I have to go there.

I would like to return someday and enjoy of this fantastic city with more time.

Regards.

Atlan.

·
Illustrator
6,660 Posts
Nice pictures of 3 big cities in such a short time. I am a little bit jealous about that since we only have 3 big cities in Sweden and they are far apart from each other. and you could visit at least 3 large cities the same weekend (or 4 with Bonn)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bond James Bond said:
What's the scaffolding here for? Are they actually cleaning off the surface of the building? Sure looks like it needs it!

actually it's for the maintenance of the ornaments due the destructions caused by the time and weather, so it will stay black... but it's good, since i can't imagine a white cologne dom :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts