SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
18,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday, Delaware and surrounding states got pounded by a noreaster. Delaware took a big hit, with the storm producing all of the characteristics of a hurricane. Trees being knocked down all around the state from wind that sometimes was hurricane force. A storm surge caused flooding along the Atlantic Ocean, and especially along the Delaware Bay and the tidal rivers, which led to the evacuation of almost every community along the Delaware Bay. Numerous rescues by the Coast Guard had to be made out in the ocean as the noreaster ended up being much stronger than anyone imagined.

I was actually planning on going down to the beach for the first time this Summer since my schedule permitted it. My original plan was to go to Rehoboth Beach and/or Dewey Beach, but Delaware Route 1 in that area was closed from flooding, so I drove down to Dagsboro and then headed east to Bethany Beach instead. I arrived in Bethany Beach only to find out that the beaches had been completely washed away (and the same happened in all of the other beach towns). Since I couldn't go swimming or lay on the beach, I decided to just see some of the sights in the beach towns instead.

The RV Russell W. Peterson, a research vessel, was out 15 miles to sea from Rehoboth Beach, studying wind patterns for the proposed wind farm off of the Delaware coast. Waves as high was 22 feet pounded the ship, and it began to take on water. The Coast Guard had to come and rescue the crew, but one crewman ended up dying in the ordeal. The ship was abandoned, and eventually came to rest right in the middle of Bethany Beach.

The ship sits right next to the sand dunes, which were the only line of defense in the beach towns. All of the sand on the beach was washed away; you can barely see that the sand dunes end as a cliff dropping into the waves.

More beach erosion.

In some areas, the storm surge went over the sand dunes and flooded the town. Here is the water on Pennsylvania Avenue, two blocks inland.

Pictures from around Bethany Beach

·
Proud Wilmingtonian
274 Posts
That's horrible. Were those pictures taken during high tide? Just about all our beaches were a nice size after the big replenishment projects. That would be devastating if the beaches were back to nothing after all the work and money spent. I guess people can still be happy that the dunes did their job.

·
MD Parrothead
166 Posts
Wow! I was at Bethany over the holiday weekend and the beach looked good. They must have done some seriously quick repairs because the dunes appear a lot taller now (unless the pictures are just deceiving). Can anyone explain the new 'Pools" of water which run down the beach now and divide it into basically two parts? It's pretty odd looking but great for the kids! They were packed like an actually swimming pool!

·
Proud Wilmingtonian
274 Posts
Wow! I was at Bethany over the holiday weekend and the beach looked good. They must have done some seriously quick repairs because the dunes appear a lot taller now (unless the pictures are just deceiving). Can anyone explain the new 'Pools" of water which run down the beach now and divide it into basically two parts? It's pretty odd looking but great for the kids! They were packed like an actually swimming pool!
I haven’t been down to the beaches recently, but I’ve seen what you’re talking about in the past. That “pool,” which can probably be found at the other beaches, is nothing that was planned. It’s just an effect of erosion. If the resources are available, officials will most likely fill it in.

I’m glad to hear that the ocean has naturally returned the sand it took away. I guess the beaches will continue to grow until this year’s first tropical storm.

·
Delaware Adoptee
218 Posts
At Rehoboth Beach last week the beach was afflicted with what I imagine are the same kind of long, almost continuous and relatively narrow pools, beginning somewhere a little north of "poodle beach" and continuing on south. They do indeed divide the beach more or less in half -- you have to look for dry places interspersed between the pools to cross from one side to the other if you don't want to get into these murky, stagnant mega-puddles.

·
18,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was in Dewey Beach today. The pools are made by waves cresting over the first little hill, I believe.

I was watching these pools today, and I think that the groundwater from the ocean seeps through the sand and keeps them filled with water. The pools that we were near seemed to get bigger towards lunch time, and were smaller again at around dinner time. High tide was at around 1:15 this afternoon.

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Whoa, not much beach to play on in those pics. my wife and her extended family go to Bethany for a week every summer. I'll have to show her these pics. I didn't realize the coast had been hit that hard. Thanks for the pics Matt.

·
MD Parrothead
166 Posts
Whoa, not much beach to play on in those pics. my wife and her extended family go to Bethany for a week every summer. I'll have to show her these pics. I didn't realize the coast had been hit that hard. Thanks for the pics Matt.
Don't worry too much about it. Unless another major storm hits the Delmarva coast, the beach is in pretty good shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts