SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pictures of Ames, IA (about 40 or what I have so far)

These are pictures of Ames, IA home of Iowa State University that I have re-sized so far, sorry for all the problems i've had with this thread and hopefully i'll get the rest up soon.

Some pictures from ISU's Veishea Parade

·
Registered
118 Posts
atrain. upload your photos at a place like Image Shack then copy the url it gives you to the picture and put it in img tags

[*img]http://www.url.com/image.jpg[*/img]
without the asterisks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
There's not a whole lot to it. It's a nice small college city. It's clean and fairly progressive, but compared to other Big 12 college towns, it would stack up as one of the worst...with the exception of Manhatten, Kansas.

It's got a few buildings in the 7-10 story range, but no discernable skyline to speak of. Ames would be a much stronger college town if its traditional downtown weren't seperated from the University and the campus town.

·
muted
7,080 Posts
^When you upload a photo at imageshack, don't copy and paste the "Thumbnail for forums" line of html. Copy and paste the "Hotlink for forums (1)" line instead. Then you'll get the picture in its normal size.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ahhhh good old Ames. Too bad you didn't get some shots of the crap-fest that the west side is turning into. Those three storey buildings with all the enpty commercial on the bottom floor is rediculous.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
DMRyan said:
There's not a whole lot to it. It's a nice small college city. It's clean and fairly progressive, but compared to other Big 12 college towns, it would stack up as one of the worst...with the exception of Manhatten, Kansas.

It's got a few buildings in the 7-10 story range, but no discernable skyline to speak of. Ames would be a much stronger college town if its traditional downtown weren't seperated from the University and the campus town.
and while the ISU campus is attractive, Ames as a city not only doesn't compare with the best of B 12 college towns like Boulder, Austin, or Lawrence......it also can't compare to Iowa City as a college town.

BTW....ISU is a beautiful setting, rather traditonal, built on greenery, but on a personal level, I prefer Iowa: the dramatic setting on hills on both sides of the river, the way it blends into Iowa City with every nook and cranny, the stately setting of the Old Capital and the Pentacrest.

·
User, Registered
294 Posts
edsg25 said:
and while the ISU campus is attractive, Ames as a city not only doesn't compare with the best of B 12 college towns like Boulder, Austin, or Lawrence......it also can't compare to Iowa City as a college town.

BTW....ISU is a beautiful setting, rather traditonal, built on greenery, but on a personal level, I prefer Iowa: the dramatic setting on hills on both sides of the river, the way it blends into Iowa City with every nook and cranny, the stately setting of the Old Capital and the Pentacrest.
I don't think anyone who knows Ames well would even consider making an argument against this. Both Ames and IC have similar enrollment and relatively close overall populations, but like DMRyan said, Ames suffers because the community is divided. Campustown here..."Downtown" Main Street over here. I'd be very confident that had Ames, in it's development stages, combined the two, it would be much closer to IC in terms of nightlife/vitality/etc. However, this is not the case, and helps one to appreciate the differences betweent the two.

Atrain, it would be nice if you could get some pics of the area in campustown between Lincoln Way and Towers. Maybe even some of over near Lynn & Ash Ave. Thanks for posting these, btw!

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
I'm curious to know what others think when they actually compare campuses (Iowa and ISU) as opposed to cities (IC and Ames).

As I said, ISU has a pleasant and green campus, but I prefer Iowa.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like the University of Iowa better. It's cool how it blends in with their downtown. Ames does have some nice qualities...#1 reason is the big open green spaces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think if you are strictly talking campuses, Iowa State would be my choice. It is a very beautiful and green campus that has won several awards. I am not very familiar with Iowa, but I really never thought of it as a campus. Is there a college campus there, maybe by the old capitol? What I have seen is university buildings spread throughout the city. With that being said, I think that is what makes Iowa City so much better than Ames. I really like how the university blends into the urban fabric of the city as opposed to Ames where the campus is separate from the city.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts