SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many may or may not have known. On May 31, 2009 the city opened the new 1.33 mile Museum Reach Urban Segment of the San Antonio Riverwalk. Long planned but finally constructed during the last two and half years, the new segment of the Riverwalk like mentioned before is 1.3 miles in length and heads north from downtown through River North and ending at The Pearl in the Pearl District just outside the Central Loop. The below map illustrates the new Riverwalk extension better than I can.

The Museum Reach is a 3-mile extension of the Riverwalk downtown except city leaders planned it to be more resident friendly as opposed to the current Tourist friendly old-section. You'll see that the new section looks completely different from the old section. City leaders and designers planned it that way as they envision the new segment as being a catalyst that will help build up the new 150-acre urban district now known as River North and grow it into a large urban residential district. The designers had in mind residents and not tourists. By all means, they can enjoy it with all of use but there won't be any hotels or chain restaurants lining the banks like the old-segment.

If you'd like to read more about River North, please click the following link:
http://downtownsanantonio.org/pdf/CHARRETTE CATALOG.pdf

The first phase of the Museum Reach was finished in late May and opened May 31st. The second phase, some 1.7 miles further north will end at the Witte Museum.

Also, currently under construction is the Mission Reach segment of the Riverwalk extension. A total of 9-miles of the San Antonio River from just south of Downtown to Mission Espada will be transformed from what it currently is, a river with grassy embanks, to a park lined with hike and bike paths, park features, a wider river, playscapes etc. For nine miles! When all is completed in late 2012, SA will be home to the largest linear park in the US, some 14 miles.

Below are pictures taken of the new Museum Reach segment during various days the last month and a half.

Enjoy.

Map of the new Museum Reach Urban Segment of the Riverwalk

link to the interactive map: http://www2.mysanantonio.com/specials/UrbanSegmentOnline/UrbanSegment.html

This is the point where the old section meets the new section.

Pretty ducks (?) enjoying the new extension.

One of many water features along the new stretch of Riverwalk

The Brooklyn Street lock'n'dam.

The lock'n'dam in action.

Oldest VFW in Texas (big white house)

Landscaping and a bench

Looking at the back entrance of the San Antonio Museum of Art

Reused brewery ped walk bridge (interesting story about this but too long)

Still inside the Central Loop, you can see the fish under the freeway bridge.

Outside the Central Loop and the fish in day light up close and downtown in the far background.

The fish under the I-35 bridge that light up at night,

Cool sitting area at street level on Camden Street.

Under I-35 looking at the Camden Street Bridge and the Grotto (brown cave structure middle left)

Closer look at the grotto

The face in the grotto. Water comes out of the faces mouth.

The end of the Museum Reach Urban Segment. The Pearl Springs

The Pearl. An old brewery that's now under major redevelopment.

The Pearl during its Farmers Market

Signs

Signs telling you the direction of certain locations

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me tell you, I've been there three times since it opened. And let me tell you, it's so much cooler in person. Unlike the old-segment, I don't feel like it's a bother going there and walking. It's so relaxing and peaceful. It's a joy to be down there especially a night.

This is going to completely transform San Antonio. It already is!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
That looks fantastic ! I've been to San Antonio a few times (from the Midwest) and I agree - this is done really well. The older part has its history and has many excellent aspects too - but this new part seems much nicer and more "relaxed". Great landscaping throughout - with lots of interesting things all along it. San Antonio is well known for its River Walk --- and this addition will only increase the city's reputation as an attractive place to visit. Great job.

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out this map.

The red line is the old-segment of the Riverwalk with the darker red being the part that most tourists travel and probably the only portion you've ever seen if you been to SA and walked the Riverwalk.

The green is the new segment that runs through River North and continues outside the Central Loop into the Pearl District.

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great pics, popnfresh. The Brewery redevelopment looks like it's coming along. Did you take these pics yourself? If so, good job bro..
Some I did take some I didn't.

As for the Brewery redevelopment. Yes, it's coming along very well.

It was shut down/closed in 2001 it was then bought by billionaire Kit Goldsbury (one of San Antonio's 11 resident billionaires) who has slowly been transforming it into a urban village.

Right now under construction is a new 6 story mixed-use building. It'll be built directly behind the current Culinary Institute of America building and next to the smoke stack. It'll have residential units, office and retail space. Also, more room for the C.I.A.

There is also plans for a Museum of Modern Arts to be built within the Pearl Brewery.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Awesome pictures! I wrote a paper last year (college student majoring in water resources at Tx. State) about the San Antonio River basin. Did a bit of research on the expansion of the riverwalk and was very impressed with what they have planned. Have you seen the plans they have for the confluence of San Pedro Creek and SA River?

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Beautiful river walk! Only thing I saw I did not like were those ugly AT&T buildings. Why?
:puke: I mean, everything else along that route is beautiful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Those are really great pictures! San Antonio is truly transforming itself to have one of the most unique and exciting downtown's in the country! I am so proud of my city! :banana:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
San Antonio continues to find ways to capitalize on one of its greatest assets. Well done!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts