SkyscraperCity banner

301 - 310 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
PIETERMARITZBURG DEVELOPMENTS:
(They seem to be many, but evidently nobody is from that side)

1. The slum next to Brookside mall has seen new flats developed by Motheo. I don't like the complete covering of red brick for a place like Pietermaritburg. Their painting is out of place for NP for me. Had they left them with partially exposed red bricks like Newtown in Joburg it would make great sense.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
KZN residential estate sells 79 units worth R65,47m in two days

Hesketh Estate in Hayfields Pietermarizburg achieved 79 sales over the launch weekend, a sales record for any secure gated estate within the greater Pietermaritzburg area.

Developer and Founder of VRG Properties, Nico van Rooyen said, “When we started on this journey we wholeheartedly believed in the need for a development within this area. As a result we’ve combined the expertise of the professional teams that we have worked with on well-known projects to create something that provides the facilities and high standards seen in modern day secure estates”.

“We did extensive market research upfront and identified the massive gap and demand for a secure estate within Pietermaritzburg at the right price. The take-up that has been experienced so far is not only remarkable but emphasizes the great demand within this price segment both for end-users and investors alike.” said Stefan Botha, Director of property development marketing agency Rainmaker Marketing.

The first phase of the property development Hesketh Estate, Alfa, offers 1, 2 and 3-bedroom apartments that range from R699 000 to R999 000.

Boasting modern, open plan living, these walk-up apartments welcome the outdoors in through the seamless flow from the interior of the home out onto the balcony.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Pietermaritzburg and Midlands are not very lucky when it comes to photographers and drones. Felicia Mabuza once gave voice as to why, and frankly all KZN suffers the attitude, even Durban. The most beautiful province in SA according to South Africans, not according to Cape Town and Limpopo. Anyway SyaNto travels, has tried their bit as Travel business start-ups:
(when hardworkers are not on Church street, it looks great and neat)

Forgive my politics, but a lot of development is being hampered by hardworkers destroying SA cities. And yes, this has to do with Government starting from National level. Investors flee from inner cities and at most our inner cities look the same as they did in 1985, except they are now truly DIRTY and less walkable.

·
Explore
2,858 Posts
Pietermaritzburg has so much going for with amazing architecture and a great setting. It's disgusting that it has been so totally neglected and allowed to rot by the lazy, incompetent officials that run the city. It looks very unloved these days

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
I always thought given its population it should be a Metropolitan municipality. Surely PMZ can't be that different in size to Bloemfontein and East London?

·
22,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
It is a metropol municipality I thought?

Pmb has so much potential. Always has. But has also always not shouted enough and hence been forgotten. It also feels it lacked love for it from locals, that Howick and Hilton up the road have been getting in spades.

I drove through the city last year for the first in over 10 years and I have to say while not great, it felt some things had changed for the better. It felt safer and cleaner than I remember and some of the new developments are truly great. That needs to transition into the beautiful old buildings of the CBD... Developers dream such historic beauties waiting to be revitalised. It just needs vision, energy and money.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
It is a metropol municipality I thought?

Pmb has so much potential. Always has. But has also always not shouted enough and hence been forgotten. It also feels it lacked love for it from locals, that Howick and Hilton up the road have been getting in spades.

I drove through the city last year for the first in over 10 years and I have to say while not great, it felt some things had changed for the better. It felt safer and cleaner than I remember and some of the new developments are truly great. That needs to transition into the beautiful old buildings of the CBD... Developers dream such historic beauties waiting to be revitalised. It just needs vision, energy and money.
Nope - it is part of Msunduzi Local Municipality.

If you look at the 2011 census it had a population of 618 000 over a considerably smaller land area than Mangaung (Bloemfontein) and Buffalo City (East London) which both have around 750 000 so I would think it should qualify in terms of population size.

·
Explore
2,858 Posts
Found this article proposing that it becomes a metro after the 2021 municipal elections. uMgungundlovu is the district municipality which covers a vast area and encompasses Msunduzi (Pietermaritzburg) and a number of surrounding municipalities. I think becoming a metro would be a good step forward in terms of governance but apart from Umgeni (Howick, Hilton) the districts in uMgungundlovu would just add to it's woes.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Pietermaritzburg: My city, my shame

Last Monday, two men were gunned down in broad daylight outside a medical centre in the Pietermaritzburg CBD – just one instance of the lawlessness and decay that has gripped KwaZulu-Natal’s capital.

Across town in Imbali, the city’s largest township, residents have been living in fear after a spate of gun murders that left at least seven people dead since February 2021. Residents who spoke to The Witness said they are “worried” because Imbali has become “unsafe for everyone”.

My hometown has suffered a slow and consistent demise.

The decay is not only evident in the bloodshed but in the dismal service delivery and crumbling infrastructure. This used to be a beautiful city.

Pietermaritzburg, which is under the auspices of the Msunduzi Local Municipality, has been placed under administration not once but twice, yet nothing has changed. It was discovered that the municipality was overwhelmed by irregular expenditure and maladministration.

Apart from being the administrative capital of the province, Pietermaritzburg is also known for its Victorian architecture, quality schools and the City Hall, the largest red-brick building in the Southern Hemisphere.

But it’s not uncommon to see heaps of rubbish piled up across the road from the historical building. Add to this the gaping potholes which were once rare but are now a prominent feature of virtually every street in town.

Traffic lights are often faulty or broken and the city has consistent electricity woes.

Our municipality needs to pull up its socks and take action to fix our city. As someone who lives away from the city but regularly comes home to visit family, I’m often enraged when met with filthy, pothole-ridden streets, fading street signs, broken traffic lights and overgrown parks, on top of the disappointment of visiting attractions I once loved only to find the buildings bedraggled or facilities broken and vandalised.

301 - 310 of 310 Posts