SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 300 Posts

·
Explore
2,841 Posts

New R100 million office block for Maritzburg. It'll include 6,000m2 A-grade office space and 2,500m2 retail. It's in the northern suburbs. I don't like it but it is an indication of growth in Pmb. Would be nice to see some more development in the attractive CBD.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Greg what is the PMB CBD like? Is it clean and safe for tourists to walk around in or is it a bit rough with all the action in shopping malls?

·
Explore
2,841 Posts
Pmb's CBD is full of contrasts. It's generally safe to walk around the entire CBD - maybe avoid some of the narrow lanes that line the main shopping street. I recently took a friend their and she absolutely loved it. If you take the time you find some real treasures here in the beautiful architecture and interesting pieces of history that are everywhere. The white population generally heads for the malls but most of the stores still have a branch in the CBD (some reopened here after moving to the malls). It's a city with a lot of character but the kind of place you need to discover on foot at a relaxed pace. The area north of the city hall heading away from the CBD gets pretty unpleasant but it is improving.

·
22,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have never spent much time in pmb. think i need to take a good day out walking around it.

Pity this building is on the VCC end of the city, but it is confidence in the city, which is good to see.

·
Umhlanga
793 Posts
I think PMB has some of the best architecture in SA. No clue about the crime situation. I haven't been in the CBD in 4 years, and that last trip was just a quick drive-through. The 19th and early 20th century buildings are superb, though.

·
Explore
2,841 Posts
The old Capital Towers hotel near the city hall has completed a R35 million revamp converting it into offices. There's currently a shortage of office space in the Pmb CBD and several of the older buildings are being renovated.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Maritzburg has finally made it into hi-res on Google Earth. There's a good view of the Midlands Mall and the development across the freeway and I was going to post a pic, but had problems on the imageshack site.

·
Explore
2,841 Posts
At Last!!! For ages random rural areas around Pmb were in hi-res and the city was a blur!

·
Explore
2,841 Posts
The Natal Museum in central Pietemaritzburg with giant ants, cockroaches and other insects crawling over it!

·
Explore
2,841 Posts
As the capital of the old Natal Pmb got the main provincial museums, galleries etc. Hence today the city has excellent museums, schools etc. And the excellent Tatham Art Gallery which includes works (albeit minor ones) by Degas, Picasso, Matisse, Hockney and Renoir!

·
Registered
662 Posts
What's the latest on this project?

"Pietermaritzburg is to get its own R1 billion waterfront at Camp's Drift. Details about the development, centred on the point where the Dusi Canoe Marathon starts..."

·
22,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
What's the latest on this project?

"Pietermaritzburg is to get its own R1 billion waterfront at Camp's Drift. Details about the development, centred on the point where the Dusi Canoe Marathon starts..."
Today's Mercury stated that the now R3 billion waterfront development has got the all clear and work can begin shortly! this is a very WOW development for pmb, lets try find as much as we can!

21 - 40 of 300 Posts