SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PIPEWELLGATE PROJECTS - Baja Beach Club / Buffalo Joes / River Police Building | Gateshead | Various | U/C

This PHOTO shows the area of the Gateshead Riverside, the THREE buildings directly to the EAST of the High Level Bridge, that is covered by this Project Thread.

This stretch of riverside is very close to the 'Brett's Oil Site', which is to the WEST of the High Level Bridge, and is covered on a separate Project Thread.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The guys behind a much-vaunted local bar group have bought the complex on Gateshead Quays which was formerly 'Buffalo Joes' and 'Baja Beach Club'.

Their plans for the site are certainly ambitious! If completed, this will be a quality addition to a much jaded area. Better not say too much, deal not yet complete....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The guys behind a much-vaunted local bar group have bought the complex on Gateshead Quays which was formerly 'Buffalo Joes' and 'Baja Beach Club'.

Their plans for the site are certainly ambitious! If completed, this will be a quality addition to a much jaded area. Better not say too much, deal not yet complete....
Is Buffalo Joes closed? I knew Baja was but didnt buffalo joes have a refit not that long ago? Give me a clue which bar owner it is?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Is Buffalo Joes closed? I knew Baja was but didnt buffalo joes have a refit not that long ago? Give me a clue which bar owner it is?
Yep both closed. And good riddance quite frankly.

As I Understand It, theres a couple of foreign language students working behind the bar.....Le Beau, Amiens and Rosalind i think they were called?

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
ambitious plans eh? much vaunted?

does this include any building work or are the plans more internal, with the ambition being a radical change in style?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
ambitious plans eh? much vaunted?

does this include any building work or are the plans more internal, with the ambition being a radical change in style?
Possibly (cost permitting) yes, and yes.

EDIT: Im still not sure if that was an allegory or a straightforward question! Either way, my response stands!

A

·
0 Posts
Gateshead's first Weatherspoons.........either that or something less "chavtastic" than Buffalo Joes and Baja Beach Club both of which I worked at grr

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Gateshead's first Weatherspoons.........either that or something less "chavtastic" than Buffalo Joes and Baja Beach Club both of which I worked at grr
Nah not Weatherspoons, considerably less 'chavtastic', if anything more 'Rah-centric'. I guess my clue didnt really help, lets just say i prefer to be subtle but that may not be as you like it.... :)

oh and welcome to the forum btw!

A

·
0 Posts
Nah not Weatherspoons, considerably less 'chavtastic', if anything more 'Rah-centric'. I guess my clue didnt really help, lets just say i prefer to be subtle but that may not be as you like it.... :)

oh and welcome to the forum btw!
Rah-centric hmm that's got me thinking and thanks for the welcome :)

·
cogito ergo sum
1,619 Posts
. . . . and how very conveniently straight across the Swing Bridge from the Cooperage. Who said the Quayside is in terminal decline?
i prefer to be subtle
can't say I spotted any subtlety! Clues as heavy as bricks. Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans subtlety.

- - - - - - - - -
Other News
Hoults Yard, along Walker Road, obtained a Premises Licence today, for indoors and out, drink, music, dancing and all the other permissions.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Slightly OT but did La Riviera close as well? It looked almost boarded up last time I walked past.

My mind might be playing tricks on me but I think I saw a little mini-crane thing in front of Baja when I walked down that way the other day.

Personally, in terms of developing it I think they may as well just burn their money because they're not going to see it back. I don't think there is enough down there to attract people away from the Central Station area. They should demolish that whole complex and make it offices (or flats or student res, if desparate).

So BigLebowski, it's another apartment group venture is it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I wonder if anyone here has any newish pictures of the Baja Beach Club / Buffalo Joes area i could have a look at?

Are they both still standing?

·
12,962 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1040991&page=82

and

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1040991&page=105

Though these are a wee while ago.

Baja I am told is pretty derelict. Buff Joes was sold and very soon after had a mysterious quayside fire...
Oh thanks for that, I appreciate it.

I wonder if Buffalo Joes still has a massive hole in its roof or if it has been repaired.

I want to go and visit the area but I want to know they're still standing first. I'm from about 30 miles away so don't want to waste my time.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

I wonder if Buffalo Joes still has a massive hole in its roof or if it has been repaired.

I want to go and visit the area but I want to know they're still standing first. I'm from about 30 miles away so don't want to waste my time.
Joe's had some sheeting over it a while ago, doesn't look like any effort has been made to restore it. Baja's has been boarded up ever since it closed.

·
12,962 Posts

Dare we ask why :)? Both still there, though from what I ve been told I d not be making loud noises near Baja..

·
Registered
20,464 Posts
Baja Beach Club/Buffalo Joes, Pipewellgate, Gateshead - pictures from September/October 2013

Hello, I wonder if anyone here has any newish pictures of the Baja Beach Club / Buffalo Joes area i could have a look at?

Are they both still standing?
Ask and you shall receive

These by myself 08/09/13

and these from 06/10/13 looking down on the properties from High Level Bridge

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

1 - 20 of 82 Posts