Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
There were plans published a long while back for this area, including the Brett Oils site, but these were in better economic times and nothing has happened since. Similar to EPS really. Even though the Quayside is picking up as a drinking circuit I can't see Baja / Buffalo Joe's reopening as drinking establishments as they are too far out on a limb.

When the Quayside was more popular for drinking there was a more diverse crowd for those venues and people were also 'attracted' to the boat too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok thanks to you both for that.

I found Baja on a property website and have decided I love it for some reason. I like its positioning near the river and how it's mirrored and huge!. From what I have read on here and on other sites I am guessing I will be let down when I see it in person but I want to go and see it anyway.

I will try not to breathe too heavily on it incase it falls down NewcastlePubs! haha

·
Registered
13 Posts
After looking more closely at those pictures I am really surprised that Buffalo Joes' roof has been left like that. It looks like a newish, attractive and sturdy building. I wonder why it was never fixed.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
After looking more closely at those pictures I am really surprised that Buffalo Joes' roof has been left like that. It looks like a newish, attractive and sturdy building. I wonder why it was never fixed.
I've always thought it was a pleasant building too. Maybe initially any repairs were held up due to the Police investigation? There has also been rumours that the owners were 'allegedly' less than fully honest with their financial dealings.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
River Police Station - Gateshead.

I'm still digging but looks like there's been a glassworks, foundry and Fife on the site as well as Jubilee Wharf. It would be reasonable to suspect that post 1900 (Riverside Police construction); the factory was constructed and perhaps the same buildings used by all three companies one after the other with the wharf being demolished at an unspecified time. Of course the buildings could have been rebuilt whilst changing ownership.

Edit:
Looking at Google Earth on 1945 rollback, the footprint of the blue wood clad building matches perfectly.
I see that you have quoted the building of the Police Station/Harbourmasters Office as 1900 - however it was 1910 when the Fenwicke and Watson designed building opened. That fact is commemorated in the blue plaque that adorns the building - this image courtesy of Brian Pear's web site covering all commemorative plaques in the Borough of Gateshead @ http://www.bpears.org.uk/Misc/Gateshead_Plaques/

Quite surprised that this isn't a Listed Building, wouldn't have thought there were many other examples of River Police Stations in the UK.

Concerning the next door building, I was looking through some photographs I took on 15th March 2012 from the top of the Castle Keep:

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Gateshead Town Centre/Pipewellgate

Looking at the above images it is clear that the base of the blue building sits on its own footings, quite separate from the quay to the rights hand side. I wonder if given the fact that it has chimney stacks that it isn't contemporary with the Ba Ja building. Looks quite older to me.

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Buffalo Joes, Pipewellgate, Gateshead - pictures 30/06/14

These by myself 06/10/13 looking down on the properties from High Level Bridge

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
The above is cut down post #4341 showing roof in the autumn 2013

On 30/06/14 when passing at approx 1500 noted scaffolding - for roof repair?

Addition

Picture of roof area at 2000 on 30/06/14 as pictured from east footpath of High Level Bridge

KEN

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Buffalo Joes, Pipewellgate, Gateshead - roof repairs, pictures 25/09/14

In my last post on this topic, post #5186 on 30/06/14 I noted that scaffolding had been erected - well at long last it appears that repair to the roof area, damaged by fire some time back, is now being carried out

These pictures by myself Thursday 25/09/14 in period around 1315 from various locations including looking down from east footpath of High Level Bridge

KEN

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Buffalo Joes, Pipewellgate, Gateshead - roof repairs, pictures 02/10/14

In earlier post on this topic, post #5186 on 30/06/14 I noted that scaffolding had been erected - well at long last repair to the roof area, damaged by fire some time back, is now being carried out

Last covered in post #5456 on 25/09/14

These pictures by myself Thursday 02/10/14 around 0945 looking down from east footpath of High Level Bridge show that underlay felt in place to most of the areas that were damaged by fire

KEN

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Buffalo Joes, Pipewellgate, Gateshead - roof repairs, pictures 18/10/14

In earlier post on this topic, post #5186 on 30/06/14 I noted that scaffolding had been erected - well at long last repair to the roof area, damaged by fire some time back, looks as if it has nearly been carried out

Last covered in post #5479 on 02/10/14

These pictures by myself Saturday 18/10/14 around 1315 looking down from east footpath of High Level Bridge show repair to the areas that were damaged by fire

KEN

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Baja Beach Club back in the day: DJ remembers nights at the famous Gateshead Quayside club

Courtesy of the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/baja-beach-club-back-day-8339573
Baja Beach Club back in the day: DJ remembers nights at the famous Gateshead Quayside club
Dec 24, 2014 19:00 By Eleanor Steafel

It’s the news that has delighted former clubbers. Baja beach club - one of the Quayside’s most famous night spots - is set to reopen in 2015. Former DJ Wayne Allen recalls what a night out at Baja was really like.

Former clubbing hotspot Baja Beach Club is set to reopen on the Gateshead quayside in 2015, much to the delight of Newcastle partygoers. The announcement, which was made on the venue’s Facebook page, suggested the club would undergo a major refurbishment before potentially reopening as early as Easter 2015. The message said: “Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. The deal is done.. Baja Newcastle is getting refurbished back to its complete shiny new self.. and reopened as it was in its prime.. as the BEST party club.”

And Wayne Allen, the former Metro Radio DJ who used to do Friday night sets at the club, said he’d never forget wild nights at Baja. Wayne, who now trains engineering apprentices, said: “It was absolutely rammed every night. It was always crazy in there – it seemed like every man and his dog was trying to blag his way in. The atmosphere was always fantastic. I’ll never forget one time when I was told to get lost by the bouncer because it was so busy in there, even though we had been invited to do something for the radio. The next week I was back to do a set and the bouncer said: ‘haven’t I seen you before?’ and let me in. It was always like that in there.”

The club, on Pipewellgate near the Swing Bridge on the Gateshead Quayside, was instantly recognisable with its snapping great white shark sign and elevated ‘lifeguard’s tower’ DJ booth inside.

On the Baja Beach Club reunion 2015 page, fans remember getting down to Baja anthems including Poison by Alice Cooper, I Touch Myself by the Divinyls, I Think We’re Alone Now by Tiffany, Club Tropicana by Wham, and Bryan Adams’ Summer of 69 while downing bottles of Reef alcopops.

Read more and see image gallery @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/baja-beach-club-back-day-8339573

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Baja Beach Club: Famous Gateshead nightclub is NOT set to reopen

From the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/baja-beach-club-famous-gateshead-8859446
Baja Beach Club: Famous Gateshead nightclub is NOT set to reopen
17:30, 17 March 2015 By Sarah Jeffery

One of the Quayside’s most famous night spots will not be reopening after rumours of a refurbishment.

Baja Beach Club was set to undergo a major refurbishment and re-open this year, according to reports. The venue’s Facebook page made the announcement back in December, which suggested the former clubbing hotspot could re-open as early as Easter 2015. The message said: “Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. The deal is done.. Baja Newcastle is getting refurbished back to its complete shiny new self.. and reopened as it was in its prime.. as the BEST party club.”

But the club on Pipewellgate near the Swing Bridge on the Gateshead Quayside, still remains derelict and the venue’s Facebook page has disappeared. The club, which was instantly recognisable with its snapping great white shark sign and elevated ‘lifeguard’s tower’ DJ booth inside, closed its doors for the last time in 2008 due to “increased competition in the area and the difficult local economic conditions.”

Baja Beach Club has been on the market for the last seven years when Christie & Co business agents were instructed by the Spirit Pub Group to find a new tenant. A spokesperson or Christie & Co said: “Finding a tenant has been difficult as the rent is quite onerous and the property is available on a leasehold basis. However, we have a good relationship with the owner and he might consider selling the freehold of the property but this would be in excess of £1.5 million. Baja Beach Club can be viewed on a leasehold or freehold and we would welcome any approaches. There have been interested parties but we do not have a buyer at present. Any future tenant or buyer would have to invest heavily in refurbishment as Baja is no longer an operational nightclub as it has fallen into disrepair.”

Read more and see image gallery @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/baja-beach-club-famous-gateshead-8859446

·
12,962 Posts
^^^^
I can't say I am surprised [or rather was surprised when this was mooted]

“Any future tenant or buyer would have to invest heavily in refurbishment as Baja is no longer an operational nightclub as it has fallen into disrepair.”
Despite it s being a new-ish building I was told by someone who had had cause to go into it that it was in shocking condition and pretty much derelict. Would cost a fortune to re open.

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Former Baja and Buffalo Joes premises, Pipewellgate, Gateshead - pictures 21/07/18

Following up on recent discussion regarding site area of Brett Oil complex and former Baja and Buffalo Joes, Pipewellgate, Gateshead these pictures by myself from Saturday 21/07/18 AM showing condition of the former Baja and Buffalo Joes premises, Pipewellgate, Gateshead at that time and their relationship to High Level Bridge etc

KEN

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Baja Beach Club, Pipewellgate, Gateshead set for new lease of life as Newcastle developers Adderstone buy site

Following up on recent discussion regarding site area of Brett Oil complex and former Baja and Buffalo Joes, Pipewellgate, Gateshead these pictures by myself from Saturday 21/07/18 AM showing condition of the former Baja and Buffalo Joes premises, Pipewellgate, Gateshead at that time and their relationship to High Level Bridge etc

KEN
The above is cut down version of post #1298 of 28/06/18

On Chronicle Live website on 06/02/19 an article about the Adderstone Group acquiring the Baja Beach Club, Pipewellgate, Gateshead (above) with possible use being offices, a bar or restaurant

EXTRACT

Baja Beach Club set for new lease of life as Newcastle developers Adderstone buy site

North East nightlife favourite Baja Beach Club is set for a new lease of life more than 10 years after it closed its doors, having been snapped up Newcastle developers.

The group plans to carry out a full refurbishment of the 17,500 sqft building with designs to include a striking full glass frontage with spectacular views across the River Tyne towards Newcastle Keep, the Swing Bridge and Tyne Bridge.

Full article on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/business/business-news/baja-beach-club-set-new-15789195

Pictures by myself from 25/01/17 showing The former Baja Beach Club building as viewed looking down from east footpath of High Level Bridges

KEN

21 - 40 of 82 Posts