SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread about St. Tropez reminded me to post some pics of beautiful Piran, which is sometimes called Slovenia's St. Tropez (but with a Venetian flavor):

Photo: B. Bajzelj and slovenia-tourism.si

Photo: Ubald Trnkoczy and slovenia-tourism.si

Photo: J. Skok and slovenia-tourism.si

Photo: destinacije.com

Source: A. Fevzer and slovenia-tourism.si

Source: J. Skok and slovenia-tourism.si

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
Piran is a very cute town! :)

Lemme add some more recent pics of it.

Piran's defense walls :

p.s. I always wonder what is up with all those TV anthenas on the roofs, you can see that in almost every Slovenian and Croatian town in Istria :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hvala for the great pics!

bubach_hlubach said:
p.s. I always wonder what is up with all those TV anthenas on the roofs, you can see that in almost every Slovenian and Croatian town in Istria :)
I've noticed that as well. Maybe it has something to do with the many Italian TV channels that can be picked up there. Interestingly, just about every other Slovenian town that size has cable.

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Absolutely beautiful. I'd love to see more Slovenia here. Thanks AZ2SI! :)

·
Monkey business
3,539 Posts
AZ2SI said:
Hvala for the great pics!

I've noticed that as well. Maybe it has something to do with the many Italian TV channels that can be picked up there. Interestingly, just about every other Slovenian town that size has cable.
Maybe they have problems doing that because of the location, age and height of the town (it's below sea level in some places)..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I was in Piran today and actually saw CATV cables on the buildings there, so the mystery deepens. Maybe the antennas were just left there after the arrival of cable?

Anyway, Piran is a wonderful, incredibly charming town, but somewhat overcommercialized by Slovenian standards. I really don't like the really touristy restaurants on the main promenade (the ones that display photographs of their food), and would love to see more galleries, bookstores, and antiques shops, as well as more regular, authentic stores for the locals. Izola is a bit better in that regard. However, don't get me wrong; Piran is definitely one of the gems of the northern Adriatic, a town that should probably be listed as a UNESCO site.

·
Monkey business
3,539 Posts
AZ2SI said:
I was in Piran today and actually saw CATV cables on the buildings there, so the mystery deepens. Maybe the antennas were just left there after the arrival of cable?

Anyway, Piran is a wonderful, incredibly charming town, but somewhat overcommercialized by Slovenian standards. I really don't like the really touristy restaurants on the main promenade (the ones that display photographs of their food), and would love to see more galleries, bookstores, and antiques shops, as well as more regular, authentic stores for the locals. Izola is a bit better in that regard. However, don't get me wrong; Piran is definitely one of the gems of the northern Adriatic, a town that should probably be listed as a UNESCO site.
Heh, as I heard, a sort-of board for improving Piran was recently established, I hope they'll improve the quality of the offer and renovate some of those delapidated buildings! Although most probably it'll just stay at promises. However the recent moves towards the renovation of the Palace Hotel in Portorož is filling me with optimism. :)

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
great pics AZ2Sl, place to visit for sure,

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm looking forward to that, edolen1, but I really hope that they adopt a smart approach. In other words, they should repair the buildings that need repair, but they should be very careful to retain the old-fashioned charm that makes Piran so attractive. For example, walking through the town today, I noticed grass growing on an old wall that connects two houses. It's picturesque details like that, or all the laundry hanging from the windows, or a small vine planted between the walls for shade, that can get lost quickly if renovation is not conducted smartly enough.

BTW, thanks, mic of Orion!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
wow this city impressed me, looks very atractive
AZ2SI;
i always interested to your threads, you are doing good job, before this forum my knowledge about Slovenia is very low(actually i didnt know anything). but i can say i discovered a beatiful country, wanna visit it as soon as possible:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Urban Girl! According to the latest statistics, the number of Turkish visitors to Slovenia is way up (a 70% increase since last year), so it looks like your countrymen are beginning to discover Slovenia. Of course, Turkey is already well-known and very popular among Slovenian vacationers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts