SkyscraperCity banner

11761 - 11780 of 19176 Posts

·
Registered
26,263 Posts
I don't believe the cost difference (between an interesting design and a boring design) for the engineering is more than 0.01% of the total cost of the bridge, in most cases.
Maybe 0,0001???
Are you serious?
Are saying saying that this:

With all the massive steel arch which requires lot's of temporary support and precise welding to get assembled in the first place before we even start doing anything with the suspended deck.

Is no more expensive than this:

Simple structure which almost every contractor can build with closed eyes using few basic tools

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Are you serious?
Are saying saying that this:
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7924/q1v3.jpg
With all the massive steel arch which requires lot's of temporary support and precise welding to get assembled in the first place before we even start doing anything with the suspended deck.

Is no more expensive than this:
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9600/awyn.jpg
I wrote about the engineering cost, which is what you had been on about.
I don't believe the cost difference (between an interesting design and a boring design) for the engineering is more than 0.01% of the total cost of the bridge, in most cases.
If you want to compare cost of materials, then include the externalities as well, such as the massive greenhouse gas emissions from using concrete and the virtually 100% recyclability of steel versus the uselessness of used concrete.

·
Registered
26,263 Posts
I wrote about the engineering cost, which is what you had been on about.
I was talking about the total cost to the taxpayer. I'm 99% sure that first example is more expensive, and not by mere 0,1 percent as you imply.

If you want to compare cost of materials, then include the externalities as well, such as the massive greenhouse gas emissions from using concrete and the virtually 100% recyclability of steel versus the uselessness of used concrete.
So, now apart from saving lives (by not letting drivers fall asleep, unlike for example in Ireland or the UK where due to the boring bridge design people fall asleep constantly and die in their hundreds) our funky bridges also save planet?

Bloody hell. :lol::lol:

·
Banned
239 Posts
^^first, it would be good to know total cost of that bridges you posted.

11761 - 11780 of 19176 Posts