Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name some.

(please don't make this turn into a 'my country is better than your country' thread)

Iraq seems like a fascinating country to me. Samarra, Bagdad and Najaf are great cities and it's the craddle of civilization. But than again, name some place more dangerous than Iraq. It's impossible to go there as a tourist at the moment.

Colombia is a place I would probably never visit. Bogota and Medelling are nice cities, true metropolis. But I just won't feel safe in a country which run by drugs gangs. When I think of Colombia I always think of a nice mountanious country packed with FARC troops and great chances to be kidnapped when you're in the rural areas.

Lebanon. Lebanon is one of my favourite countries in the world. My dad went there as a soldier and he likes to return there with whole the family. Plans were actually made to travel to Lebanon in 2005 but a few months before the minister of foreign affairs was assassinated. The country was very turbulent. People called for a democracy and the departure of the Syrians in their country. Me and my family decided that we didn't go to Lebanon. Maybe we will when the situation is better.

There are a lot of other countries which I won't travel because of safety reasons but which I wouldn't travel anyway. Like Sudan, Togo and Somalia.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
countries I'd like to visit if they were safer (a better question for this thread I think!):

Beautiful landscape, but not safe: Haiti
same with lots of central African or some central American countries!

·
Registered
meow
10,327 Posts
Israel. Nice history, but too dangerous.

To Iraq I would never travel anyway, so that wouldn't be for safety reasons...

·
insatiable
309 Posts
I think most places are allright, Iraq and Afghanistan seem to be risky though ;) Some of the poorest African nations I also doubt I would travel to.

Tom_Green said:
Everything south of the USA and Africa.
I know my opinion is based on a lack of information and some generalization but this is my opinion now.
What is there unsafe south of the African continent ? Penguin colonies in Anarctica ?

·
Banned
154 Posts
Forza Raalte said:
Name some.

(please don't make this turn into a 'my country is better than your country' thread)

Iraq seems like a fascinating country to me. Samarra, Bagdad and Najaf are great cities and it's the craddle of civilization. But than again, name some place more dangerous than Iraq. It's impossible to go there as a tourist at the moment.

Colombia is a place I would probably never visit. Bogota and Medelling are nice cities, true metropolis. But I just won't feel safe in a country which run by drugs gangs. When I think of Colombia I always think of a nice mountanious country packed with FARC troops and great chances to be kidnapped when you're in the rural areas.

Lebanon. Lebanon is one of my favourite countries in the world. My dad went there as a soldier and he likes to return there with whole the family. Plans were actually made to travel to Lebanon in 2005 but a few months before the minister of foreign affairs was assassinated. The country was very turbulent. People called for a democracy and the departure of the Syrians in their country. Me and my family decided that we didn't go to Lebanon. Maybe we will when the situation is better.

There are a lot of other countries which I won't travel because of safety reasons but which I wouldn't travel anyway. Like Sudan, Togo and Somalia.
sounds like you really need to turn your tv off, and listen to the media and its virulent sensationalist crap less

especially on lebanon and colombia, I would suggest you inform yourself

saying u wouldnt travel to these places because of ignorant stereotypical stuff you just mentioned

is like me saying I could never go to any european country because of the nazis!! and le pen!! and the riots in france

GET INFORMED

THIS THREAD SUCKS, IS PLAIN OFFENSIVE AND STEREOTYPICAL BASED ON MISSINFORMATION.

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
I prefere to travel in developed countries, where you know there's always professionel help in case you need it... So my won't go list is quite extensive :D

Basicly drug infested countries, ultra religius countries, places with civil war or internal fighting and very poor places...

However I would love to see everywhere on the planet as long as it's with a UN resolution and a rifle in my hands :D

·
4,373 Posts
Forza Raalte said:

I am sorry but you are very confused about Lebanon. I traveled to Lebanon in 2005 and have gone almost every summer for vacation. It is VERY safe and very western/tourist-friendly. Please reconsider your opinion on the safety of the country. I admit, there have been political problems (but that is true with most democracies) and yes last year Lebanon witnessed a terrible tragedy, however unless you are some very important political figure or journalist you have nothing to worry about. There has been no violence in the country so far in 2006 and things are very calm. The minister of tourism is predicting that 1.6 million tourists will come to Lebanon this year. So, if you still think this way I feel very sorry for you because you are missing out greatly.

PS. I urge you to visit the new Lebanon sub-forum!

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
1Iraq
2Afghanistan
3North Korea--(even though ppl say its safe you never know.)
4Haiti
5Iran/Indonesia/Colombia/Myanmar/Somalia
6Saudi
7Syria
8Liberia
9Palestine/Israel
10Sri Lanka

·
BUMMED
2,738 Posts
This thread might be filled with ignorance and some maybe terribly misinformed or just stubborn enough to downgrade other nations' tourism.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I probably would nt go to the middle east, eastern Africa, and some south american countries, also Antartica, dangerously cold, oh yes and nottingham.

·
Banned
264 Posts
Parts of Russia, South America, certain countries in Africa, and certain countries in the middle east, but only the ones that are de-stabilized.

·
Registered
meow
10,327 Posts
It's funny to see how some people think everything outside North America, Europe, Japan/Korea and OZ/NZ is a warzone.

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
schmidt said:
It's funny to see how some people think everything outside North America, Europe, Japan/Korea and OZ/NZ is a warzone.
I think it's more a question about having a good time while travelling - most people in the west are used to a high standard and very little corruption, so when they spend their money and time on a vacation they want to keep the risk of bad stuff to a minimum. And should something happen anyway they want to feel safe and sure the athorities will help them.

I have a friend travelling around South America for 3 months - last week she was mugged twice in Peru - not excactly how she wanted her vacation to go!

In resent times there's been some debate here about the terror attack in Egypt, where a young Danish child lost his leg and 2 other Danes were seruisly injured - and why people would go to the country, where the risk is what it is, and after the resent cartoon deal Danes ain't particularly welcome.
It's not even been 3 months since the Danish Foreign Ministry cleared it for recreationel travelling again...was it worth it to bring young children there so soon after, just to save a few bucks? I think not!

It's not so much a question about if the non-western countries have something to offer - ofcause they have.. tons! - but more a question about if the risk is worth it...

Personly I would love to see the entire world, but I won't jeopardice everything to do so - unless it's part of my duty!

When I travel I prefere to leave all worries behind - and I don't think I will be able to do so in a place with a high risk of terror, kidnapping or mugging.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts