SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 6075 Posts

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a very welcome increase in Planning Applications, it is sometimes a problem in locating just what is in the pipeline. If ALL applications are posted here, we can not only monitor progress but it will be easier to move over into the construction thread when "spades hit the dirt".......

To kick off......One Park Lane Planning App. 14F/1305

I am aware that a thread already exists, but this application is for the Greenberg site and needs to be separate from the Heap Rice Mills saga....

The Heap Mills site should remain on the thread started by Chris B. with it now gaining "listed status" it could be sometime before we see any progress.
Also the city planners may want a definite commitment on the Greenberg site before agreeing on the future of the Mill.

All details from architects.....Falconer Chester Hall

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,635 Posts
I'd love that to get built, I think it's sits really well on the skyline, it's a shame we had to lose the Greenberg building though, I liked that a lot.

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LSTM, Anson House Extension...

Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Anson House: Planning App. 14F/1587

Architects Broadway Malyan proposals for Anson House in Pembroke Place involves demolishing listed buildings............

Galkoff`s green tiled façade to be preserved and become part of a public art installation. Another Heaps Mill protest looming ????

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Galkoff`s green tiled façade to be preserved and become part of a public art installation. Another Heaps Mill protest looming ????
That's a real shame. There doesn't seem to be any real merit in retaining number 35 over number 29. The only justification for demolishing 29 seems to be that its in the way of the new building.

Also the 'Existing' render is a bit misleading because it doesn't actually look like that at the moment.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
As an individual building I'd have preferred it if they kept it and created some identical Georgian style facades over to the the end of the row, taking in the existing building.

Also, I'd be more interested in the history of it if it were a slightly different Butcher of Pembroke Place, but as it is, it's historical/cultural import is limited.

Once they decided they wanted to extend all the way over, I think the writing was on the wall for this building. No doubt there'll be some vocal opposition and not without merit (the new build isn't precisely inspiring) but at least the phrase "greedy developers" won't be used as much. It'll be "greedy people trying to stop ebola outbreaks in the developing world".

·
Registered
503 Posts
This is a good development for the city and the wider world that is helped by LSTM but there is still no reason why they can't incorporate the facades of Galkoffs and next door. These are a massive part of what lends the character and ambiance and gives a glimpse of what the area would have been like. I get that the interior of the butchers would be expensive to refurbish and of no use to the LSTM, and whatever exists can and should be retained by the museum of Liverpool. This does not stand for the façade though which could easily be incorporated as shown by the intention to refurb and incorporate No35. I do not stand with the ' anti-facadism' belief that seems to have become more and more fashionable.

I am interested though in the fact that they actually intend to 'refurbish No35 back to it's original condition'. I hope this refers to the rear section with the remaining court section.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
This is what they plan to do with the Galkoff's frontage, and they're going to place it down the road to the right of the current building. It will then be moved again slightly when that site is also developed by the LSTM.

There's a lot of interesting information in the documents, including the fact that the proposed scheme is actually more expensive than preserving the whole building (but the LSTM would lose 120 square metres of space if they preserved the existing building).

Documents: http://northgate.liverpool.gov.uk/D...erview.aspx?type=MVMPRD_DC_PLANAPP&key=902993

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Another monster student development......

Despite fears of over-supply, another proposal lands on the planners desk.....

Swainbanks, 50 Fox Street Planning App: 14F/1767

506 beds in new build and conversion of existing building......

[/URL]

Developer: Prime Site Developments. Architects: KDP

·
Fugly
11,234 Posts
It's not that bad, especially for student accommodation, and at least the windows aren't like portholes. That obsession with grey roof boxes really gets on my nerves though. Why not continue with the white/green cladding up to roof level?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Despite fears of over-supply, another proposal lands on the planner desk.....

Swainbanks, 50 Fox Street Planning App: 14F/1767

506 beds in new build and conversion of existing building......

[/URL]

http://s216.photobucket.com/user/woody43/media/liverpool 2014/1268_FoxSt_EyelevelTwo_RevD.jpg.html

http://s216.photobucket.com/user/woody43/media/liverpool 2014/1268_FoxSt_EyelevelOne_RevD.jpg.html

Developer: Prime Site Developments. Architects: KDP
This is down near the office development that's set to also be converted to student flats isn't it? City point I think?

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
This is down near the office development that's set to also be converted to student flats isn't it? City point I think?
This application is for next door to St. Mary & the Angels (the Friary) church on Fox Street.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
This application is for next door to St. Mary & the Angels (the Friary) church on Fox Street.
Indeed,according to Google street view,swainbanks is,or was,the name of the antiques importer at this address. Looks quite an imposing warehouse at the moment.

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Norfolk St- Brick St, Baltic Triangle

140 beds in 11 storey block, Planning App: 14F/0829

This looks familiar, was approved as a private apartment block [ part of a larger development] but now reappears as student digs......

[

[

Developer: Pinnacle Student Developments. Architects: Blok

·
Human Being
41,196 Posts
I'd like to see at least one of the other student projects in the Baltic Triangle fully completed before yet another gets underway.... I suspect that this area is seen as fair game for a number of less prestigious developers. I wish the council had some kind of policy for this area - which showed some vision for its future.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'd like to see at least one of the other student projects in the Baltic Triangle fully completed before yet another gets underway.... I suspect that this area is seen as fair game for a number of less prestigious developers. I wish the council had some kind of policy for this area - which showed some vision for its future.
Totally agree. There need to be some logic applied here. Does any other UK city centre have such deregulated planning when it comes to placing student digs throughout its cenral districts.

·
Fugly
11,234 Posts
Their only concern is to make sure new builds are short and bland.

I wouldn't worry about the student stuff too much, especially the last one Woody posted, as the market will dictate whether they're viable or not. I can see many being converted into proper apartments at some point down the line. The pokey little windows on some bother me though, and they're the ones that should be held to greater scrutiny.

1 - 20 of 6075 Posts