SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The promised land
17,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'e just finished my masters and can not find any jobs in planning. Is this common or am i just looking in the wrong places :-s i feel it might be the latter. HELP!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I think you should focus on private planning consultancys. Theres a surprising number about when you look into it. Perhaps interning for one 3 day a week and working P/T the rest of the week could be a temporary solution? I know it wouldn't be ideal, but the experience would be worthwhile. Even if you already have some experience building up your level of experience until you get something better could be the way forward.

I was due to start an MSc in Planning last month but decided against it as I already have an MA and didn't want to spend 5k plus on a second Masters in the current climate. With public sector job losses I think many public sector planners will go into the private sector. I don't mean to alarm you but for example I read that 1/3 of planners in Northern Ireland are being cut.

However, bear in mind the structual shortage of planners and try and stay optimistic! I know its worrying, but so many people are in the same situtation. Something will come along its just it may take a while. Try looking around London and the South East. Northampton and Milton Keynes specifically as they are 'growth areas' and you could commute there.

·
Simples
6,759 Posts
http://jobs.planningresource.co.uk/

Look outside of the West Midlands, especially London and generally be prepared to move. The public sector (Local Authorities) wont be taking many graduates on over the next couple of years.

·
The promised land
17,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys.
@Engels i've been looking at planning resource but i have no experience apart from a two week work experience so i am finding it hard to even get an interview :-s

@borg i'll try what you suggest, i don't know many consultancies apart from the obvious ones which run graduate schemes. I'll have a look in the areas you have suggested though, i should have figured there would be a demand in those areas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts