·
muted
7,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
COMPETING VISIONS

By Blair Kamin
Tribune architecture critic
Published May 13, 2007

Surely they would have been bitter adversaries: Richard J. Daley, the late authoritarian Chicago mayor, and Jane Jacobs, the combative New York City activist and author. He ripped expressways through Chicago's quilt of ethnic neighborhoods and presided over the erection of its massive public housing projects. She stopped an expressway from slicing apart her Greenwich Village neighborhood and championed the beauty of small things -- the ballet of the sidewalk and the front stoop.

He was the ultimate establishment figure, an imposing man who resembled a corporate executive in his dark suits. She was the ultimate rebel, her owlish glasses concealing a ferocious curiosity and lack of respect for authority.

Read more at the Chicago Tribune

·
Registered
72 Posts
I dont think Mayor Daley even compares to Robert Moses. I find that quite a stretch. In fact, I think Daley incorporates some of things that made each so important. Although, I wish Chicago would adopt a few more things Jane Jacobs would have suggested. Mainly, some historical preservation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts