SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a article from the Manchester Evening News tonight.

Big plans for little Hul-lywood

PLANS to turn an area of Salford into the north west's very own version of Hollywood are stepping ever closer, i hear.
Web Film Studios in Little Hulton, already the largest independent film studios outside of London, is set for a rapid expansion in the coming months with a huge new stage to be built for more film, TV and commercial work.
Meanwhile, crunch talks will be taking place this week with national regeneration agency English Partnerships on plans for an entire film village to be built adjacent to the existing studios, at a 15-acre site known as Ashton Fields.
That would really send Little Hulton's "Sal-lywood" aspirations into the stratosphere.
I caught up with studio owners Ken Sykes and Bob Horsefield, who excitedly told me of their plans.
Their vast new studio will start being built next month, buoyed by a £100,000 Department of trade and Industry grant, and the new stage has already been booked for filming BBC comedy drama Full Forse, a Red Dwarf-style show, in the autumn.
Ken and Bob tell me that they simply can't build new facilities fast enough for the amount of work coming into the north west film and TV industry at the moment.
As recently as two years ago the lighting and production duo had to travel to London for 60 per cent of their work-but now say it has gone the opposite way.
"Everything is changing with more and more film work coming up to the north and all the signs are that it's going to get even busier," Bob told me.
"We hope the new stage will attract the big feature films to Little Hulton, and if the film village enentually gets the go ahead, with possibly eight new stages, then the sky really is the limit."
For the short term, Bob has already set his sights on one particular coup for the studios.
"Our aim is to get the new series of Doctor Who filmed here," he says.
"It is written by Manchester's Russell T Davies after all."
Written by Carmel Thomason.

G

·
Who wants a little Hollywood? We want our version to be the best. I mean everything's bigger in Manchester...

·
Less is more.
6,378 Posts
dgnr8 said:
How delightfully camp. It'd be tops if it happened, purely on a fabulous side.
LOL ....indeed
But on a serious note, its true...Ive read a few articles recently about the North West and MANCHESTER inparticular being a magnet for film and TV production, long may it continue.
It can be no coinsidence that the BBC are moving almost a third of their programme making up to Manchester and we aren't just getting shitty little programmes, we are talking BIG.
Its all good as they say.

·
I miss a hot dog
611 Posts
I'd take that with a pinch of salt folks. For news story, read self publicity or free advertising.

I've been up to Web Studios and met the gaffer, Ken. While he is a really nice guy, he's not exactly the shy retiring type. He likes to blow his own trumpet if you know what I mean - a typical manc blagger.

Yes, Web have done a fantastic job over the last few years. But whats all this Hollywood talk - it's not even Dragon International Studios. Web certainly have big ambitions and maybe one day they will be realised, but don't get to carried away just yet. I mean Web studios are where the Subway Sandwich Commercials are filmed.

And as for Doctor Who. Dream on. While it may be written by Russell T the whole process of bring the show back to our screens has been driven by BBC Wales. I can't see them being mad keen on production leaving Cardiff. Particually as Dragon will be just down the road.

http://www.webfilmstudios.co.uk/
http://www.dragonstudios.info/

btw, don't take that as a negative. Any news of this sort has to be good, but to me this looks like poor journalism and an over enthusiastic press release conspiring to make the expansion appear to be something it isn't.

·
Less is more.
6,378 Posts
Potato Man said:
I'd take that with a pinch of salt folks. For news story, read self publicity or free advertising.

I've been up to Web Studios and met the gaffer, Ken. While he is a really nice guy, he's not exactly the shy retiring type. He likes to blow his own trumpet if you know what I mean - a typical manc blagger.

Yes, Web have done a fantastic job over the last few years. But whats all this Hollywood talk - it's not even Dragon International Studios. Web certainly have big ambitions and maybe one day they will be realised, but don't get to carried away just yet. I mean Web studios are where the Subway Sandwich Commercials are filmed.

And as for Doctor Who. Dream on. While it may be written by Russell T the whole process of bring the show back to our screens has been driven by BBC Wales. I can't see them being mad keen on production leaving Cardiff. Particually as Dragon will be just down the road.

http://www.webfilmstudios.co.uk/
http://www.dragonstudios.info/

btw, don't take that as a negative. Any news of this sort has to be good, but to me this looks like poor journalism and an over enthusiastic press release conspiring to make the expansion appear to be something it isn't.
I bet your a right laugh on a night out.

·
I miss a hot dog
611 Posts
EarlyBird said:
An evil maharajah wouldn't tend to have a sense of humour...
That right.

And from this moment on both of you are permanently denied access to the maharajah’s harem (which if you check the small print is usually a standard benefit of SSC membership).

I'm just being realistic. Having Jude Law parade round the Northern Quarter for a couple of days and the new Skoda advert does not make us the new Hollywood.

I think Dragon has had about £7m of money from the Welsh assembly. I know Ashton Fields is a former Coal Mine and I know there is a whole lot of public money knocking about to bring these back into productive use. But I don't know whether or not English Partnerships would be willing to provide the money that would be required to provide facilities to bring significant new film production to town. Particularly given the recent news from number 11 Downing St.

·
All hail to the ale.
929 Posts
Just reread this. Lots of people laughed it off but with media city in the pipeline it looks as though Sallywood could be happening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.