SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
World Cup is 18 months away, the Wallabies are struggling and look to have very little chance of winning the World Cup.

Who do we need to grab from the NRL to come across to help us win back the World Cup from the Poms and to shove it up the Kiwis again?

Mark Gasnier is all set to see the light and play rugby.

Who else is on the radar?

·
Registered
820 Posts
No one.
You can straight away rule out any RL forwards. The work involved in being a forward in union is on a different scale to League. There are League forwards who could make the transition, but they wouldn't be ready in 18 months.
There are plenty of players in the NRL with loads of talent but it's an entirely different game; I'm not a fan of poaching. We saw how long other League converts (Rogers, Sailor, Tuquiri) took to pick up many of the fine points of the game(and are still doing so).
The only player I could really see making the transition and retaining a spot in the Wallabies is Andrew Johns. Of course, he's not going anywhere. It's not easy though, you can't expect to change sport and suddenly start beating those who have been playing the sport for much of their lives.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think that the Wallibies have more sense of national pride than their RL counterparts, just being ARU players. The NRL is for the less talented 'rugby' player imo. But I dont want to start code war, we are lucky to celebrate 4 codes of football in Australia.

·
7,972 Posts
It is true though. With Rogers and Tuqiri though, I think they picked up rugby a bit quicker than Sailor, because they both actually played it a bit when they were younger.

I haven't even seen Gasnier play nrl before, is he any good?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^^^^^^^^

What we need to do is grab half a dozen of the NRL's best backs to prop up the Force and sprinkle some more talent around NSW, QLD and ACT. Sailor is looking to retire soon so you need to start looking to the future.

Still a shame that Joey Johns slipped through the net.

What about Billy Slater? He would make a decent full back for the WA Force. Considering money is no object you need to look at a guy like that.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
You gotta remember that Sailor was bought purely on for his talents either, he is a drawcard a poster boy somewhat. He increased Reds patronage to their matches something like 20% when he started playing, increased the codes exposure and also proved that Rugby League isnt superior to Union, when Leagues best winger(Sailor) struggles in Union it proved a lot of critis wrong. Tuqiri and Rogers have been far better and cant deny there success.

Andrew Walker was also another awsome union player, its a shame he just didnt have the right mind set, Blacklock was a failure in the game as was another player who i cant remember at the moment.

Whilst i hate the idea of poaching, it is not secret that a lot of Uninos top players get signed by NRL clubs when there young purely because Union doesnt have the same amount of contracts on offer as union. So in some sense its just getting something back at the NRL. Especially at the moment since the 4th Australian S14 team came into the come it has highlighted the shortage of depth in ARU, the only problem i have with poaching is if they give $700k to Gasnier and then ignore a young up and coming playing who takes off over seas or something. They could keep 3 quality young players and ignore gasiner or do the vice versa.

Yet i dont think the ARU needs to poach anyplayer to win the RWC, last year was just a accumalitive bad year due to injuries and bad coaching. I think the players are there to win the RWC, yet a different coaching style might be needed which John Connoly might now be able to apply, and some better props(eg get rid of Matt Dunning)

·
7,972 Posts
It's ok TOCC, the ARU still has another 5 years to think about the RWC again. The AB's shouldn't have a problem smashing through every team to reclaim their rightful trophy next year. :D

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
BrizzyChris said:
It is true though. With Rogers and Tuqiri though, I think they picked up rugby a bit quicker than Sailor, because they both actually played it a bit when they were younger.

I haven't even seen Gasnier play nrl before, is he any good?
He's pretty good with St George and is one of the key playmakers for the side. Gasiner can rack up several tries in a good game for the team. Without him, Saints would struggle.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
BrizzyChris said:
It's ok TOCC, the ARU still has another 5 years to think about the RWC again. The AB's shouldn't have a problem smashing through every team to reclaim their rightful trophy next year. :D
hmm

RWC winners

Wallabies = 2
All Blacks = 0 :)

·
©
9,470 Posts
Q-TIP said:
I think that the Wallibies have more sense of national pride than their RL counterparts, just being ARU players. The NRL is for the less talented 'rugby' player imo. But I dont want to start code war, we are lucky to celebrate 4 codes of football in Australia.
Give me a break......... By saying that you're asking for a code war. NRL probably has more talent than ARU, especially now.

ARU can piss off taking NRL players. They need to get a better junior program running & maybe get a professional club competition going as well. That being said, they can take Gasnier! The reason being is because the NRL did nothing to stop Sailor, Tiquiri & Rogers going over...........Why bother stopping Gasnier??

·
Registered
340 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

What he said , if they want people to play union they have to get people who have played it all there lives instead of scabbing through the nrl for players like a lost hobo. If the ARU has more talent than the NRL why do they jack the NRL players?

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
like i said earlier, its a publicity thing as well.

At the moment the ARU is struggling with player numbers because of the fourth team, there are definetly enough players there to fill the gap for example the Australian U19 team with the U19 RWC but maturity and composure is something that takes many more years unfortunately. And as a result of last years shocking win ratio there was a few positions that were shown to be lacking in depth, with retirement and players going overseas since then the ARU needs to bring in some players to give these positions depth so in the case of a injury crisis in the RWC there will be the players there to fill in. And as it stands the centre position is one position where the ARU is lacking massively, hence the attempts to buy Gasnier, Tonga and Cross who are all the the equivlant centres in Rugby union.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Give me a break......... By saying that you're asking for a code war. NRL probably has more talent than ARU, especially now.

ARU can piss off taking NRL players. They need to get a better junior program running & maybe get a professional club competition going as well. That being said, they can take Gasnier! The reason being is because the NRL did nothing to stop Sailor, Tiquiri & Rogers going over...........Why bother stopping Gasnier??
Well, they're two different games. Union is a much more physical and demanding game over the 80 minutes. I can't see that being a point of discussion really.
The point being, skills and levels of conditioning in one are not directly transferrable to the other. As I said, there are a few players in League who could probably make the grade in Union, but not straight away. You have to train for the sport and play the sport for a while before you can expect to succeed.

Union may not have a pro. club competition but it may as well be. I've known some of these guys who've made or come close to making the grade in Union. They live Rugby. They train at least as many hours as the professional club comps. of League and Aussie Rules. I think the reason is because there's such limited opportunity (being only 4 pro. teams in Aus.) you have to work that much harder to make the grade.

At the end of the day, League is not going to suffer from losing the odd player to Union. The player base is more than large enough to compensate.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
also its no secret that league scouts are contiunally watchin Australian Schoolboy Rugby unino matches and the like

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Mr Centrepoint said:
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

What he said , if they want people to play union they have to get people who have played it all there lives instead of scabbing through the nrl for players like a lost hobo. If the ARU has more talent than the NRL why do they jack the NRL players?
St George coach Nathan Brown met with Ch 9 chief Eddie McGuire on friday to see if they could save him like they did with Andrew Johns. That may not be enough.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Let the ARU poach Gasnier and whoever else they want..
There is always going to be up and coming talent there to replace them :cool:

Just dont make a fuss about it cause it only gives Union publicity it doesnt deserve.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
this is exactly what NRL deserves, after leaue did it to htem for years its about time they got there own back.

The most prestigious award in the NRL for a individual player is the Dally M award, Dally M was a Union player who was poached by league.

Rondeez, as a Parra fan you should also recognise that one of Parras greatest players(Ray Price) was a Wallaby before he was poached by league as well, it doesnt say much for League when some of the sports greatest players have League backgrounds.

Also you only have to scour through a few player profiles to understand the full extend of poaching by league that still occurs, remarks like "i had never played league before they contacted me" and the like are all through League.

·
Registered
533 Posts
sirhc8 said:
Yes, well that is exactly what I was trying to avoid saying straight out. ;)
I say it, how it is. And I celebrate all sport, so dont need a so-called 'code-war' to develop.

·
Registered
533 Posts
BobDaBuilder said:
^^^^^^^^^^

What about Billy Slater? He would make a decent full back for the WA Force. Considering money is no object you need to look at a guy like that.
I was thinking the same thing, also Lockyer from the Broncos. But not sure if he into union, as much as his ex-Broncos teammates.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts