SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm not sure whether I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes...
A cruise ship arrived in Singapore today. It was not docked at the usual Singapore Cruise Center. Can someone please help me to identify which part of Singapore this was in? I believe it's in the Pasir Panjang area. Thanks! :)

thanks!

·
1,002 Posts
A cruise ship arrived in Singapore today. It was not docked at the usual Singapore Cruise Center. Can someone please help me to identify which part of Singapore this was in? I believe it's in the Pasir Panjang area. Thanks! :)

thanks!
Hmmm... I'm not too sure, but I believe this to be somewhere in the Jurong area. I see some cranes, a causeway, and shipyards in the background; I know there's a place there that fits this description.

Let me check Google Maps.

Edit: doesn't seem to be the Jurong area... my other suspicion could be the Keppel Container Terminal, which is on the other side of the bridge across the Singapore Cruise Centre; I don't see the monorail anywhere though... :/

·
Land Transport Enthusiast
1,885 Posts
hi Post Panamax, welcome to singapore SSC!

from what I know, cruise ships too large to anchor at the Singapore Cruise Centre are diverted to Pasir Panjang Container Terminal. following jokes that passengers are treated like goods, a new International Cruise Centre with deeper waters and ability to take the largest cruise ships in the world is currently being built in Marina South.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just out of curiosity, if most cruises are too large, then what is the purpose of the Singapore Cruise Center? Wouldn't it be pretty useless if the large, commercialized cruises are too big to dock there? (I realize that there actually are cruises that dock there, but then shouldn't they rename the International Cruise Terminal at Marina Bay to the Singapore Cruise Center and change the current one to Harborfront Cruise Center or something?)

·
21,512 Posts
^^Well, that would have been a great idea. I guess ever since the cable car incident in the 1980s, there is a restriction. We just have to wait for the one at Marina South to be done. :)

·
Land Transport Enthusiast
1,885 Posts
mrtdude5, well, smaller cruise ships may choose to dock at Singapore Cruise Centre for its lower charges. after all it has ready facilities and its up to the operator to make their choice. its like Changi Airport's Budget Terminal. also, plenty of ferries depart from the Singapore Cruise Centre as well. I don't forsee them going to the International Cruise Centre.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just out of curiosity, if most cruises are too large, then what is the purpose of the Singapore Cruise Center? Wouldn't it be pretty useless if the large, commercialized cruises are too big to dock there? (I realize that there actually are cruises that dock there, but then shouldn't they rename the International Cruise Terminal at Marina Bay to the Singapore Cruise Center and change the current one to Harborfront Cruise Center or something?)
Yup, that is the purpose of International Cruise Centre at Marina Bay.

The reason why the current one at Harbourfront can't really be changed is because it's now privately owned (following divestment)...so it's up to the owners really.

·
Banned
7,907 Posts
Cruise ships only got really huge in the last decade or so only... So I don't think planners in the 80s knew what were we in for.

Anyway, the cable car has been raised a few metres to allow larger ships through...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Pasir Panjang Wharf, after Haw Par Villa. There's a CIQ there if u check the street directory.

thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.