SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mods, hello forum members.

I noticed that all the subforums were flattend into this forum.
I belive that this was the wrong decision for the following reasons:
  • It is now harder to find the threads that interest me. I am from the scale models thread and all the other threads are not releavant for me but are now mixed with the threads that interest me.
  • The tagging mechanic is probably not working with new users that are not familiar with the topics.
  • Some forums are more active than others. That will make the more active topics more prominent on the first page and hide the potential of other topics in the pages with higher numbers.
  • Most annoying for me: I can't use the alarm function anymore without getting alarms of topics that are not relevant for me!
So speaking for my subforum (scale models): Our forum is not very active and it is already hard to keep it alive. Now with the new changes it is like the nail in the coffin. Since this is the only place on the internet with this kind of community for the topic, it would be very sad if it dissapears.

·
Pro Web Slinger
907 Posts
I agree that the sub-forums should not have been removed

·
Asian forums Supermod
Official SSC Conference in Pyong Yang 2021
10,816 Posts
Hello Mods, hello forum members.

I noticed that all the subforums were flattend into this forum.
I belive that this was the wrong decision for the following reasons:
  • It is now harder to find the threads that interest me. I am from the scale models thread and all the other threads are not releavant for me but are now mixed with the threads that interest me.
  • The tagging mechanic is probably not working with new users that are not familiar with the topics.
  • Some forums are more active than others. That will make the more active topics more prominent on the first page and hide the potential of other topics in the pages with higher numbers.
  • Most annoying for me: I can't use the alarm function anymore without getting alarms of topics that are not relevant for me!
So speaking for my subforum (scale models): Our forum is not very active and it is already hard to keep it alive. Now with the new changes it is like the nail in the coffin. Since this is the only place on the internet with this kind of community for the topic, it would be very sad if it dissapears.
Thanks for concern
to address some of your points
  • Harder to find: There's now only 7 pages total. This is compared to the 30-40 pages for each subsection. things should be easier if you give it a chance
  • Activity: Indeed the forum has declined in activity. As some one who handled all the posts and threads. The peak activity of this whole section was between 15 to 10 years ago where you would have near daily posting. These days there would be new activity only a few times a YEAR. you could have an entire page were you would see 2-3 years worth of posting. That is very inactive
  • Engagement: so about those 30-40 pages.. a majority of them consisted of posts with 1 or 0 posts. there were also a lot of spammers that got by for years undetected. People were not that interested in many of the threads being made
Ultimately what was going on until now was not working, so some changes need to be made, and they are still ongoing (this is not final).
This will section will ultimately move to the Architecture section to better engage that community who would better appreciate the designs and contributions here.
that said, it is also not the end of the world. if it doesn't work out we can bring back the sub-sections like old times.

·
I <3 Marimba
202 Posts
i agree with seffm. this is such a bad choice for our subcommunity. I had been trying to find our forum for a long time because my bookmark was inactive and i couldnt find any source of direction to find the new forum. it really is a shame. i feel discouraged to continue visiting and posting to this site without an organized layout. it may not mean much to you admins but it really is something near and dear to our hearts being that this is a very small group of us that exists in the world. please recategorize us into our own scale modela forum...

·
Asian forums Supermod
10,816 Posts
i agree with seffm. this is such a bad choice for our subcommunity. I had been trying to find our forum for a long time because my bookmark was inactive and i couldnt find any source of direction to find the new forum
this is partially due to the new forum's way of changing links
also since this has now been moved to the architecture section. which hopefully brings more attention as its at the top of the page rather than being tucked all the way in Fun forums.

please recategorize us into our own scale modela forum...
the section is now much more organized and smaller so threads could be much quicker to find (there's less than 10 pages)
in the last 2 weeks there's been more updates since the movement
than in 2 months.

that said I'm not against the idea of moving scale elsewhere.
the question is..should it be a sub forum of this section
or a separate section under the same category

once moved, you do realize its going to be quite tiny

·
Pro Web Slinger
907 Posts
Most of the scale models posters do not visit the site more than once or twice a month, many of them less often than that. They will never know where the subforum was moved to, and will likely assume that it has been deleted. Also, merging all five sections into one single section has made it more difficult and time consuming to find older threads, even with the tags on each of them.

·
Asian forums Supermod
10,816 Posts
Most of the scale models posters do not visit the site more than once or twice a month, many of them less often than that. They will never know where the subforum was moved to, and will likely assume that it has been deleted. Also, merging all five sections into one single section has made it more difficult and time consuming to find older threads, even with the tags on each of them.
I am not sure if you read my posts earlier but the section was quite dead for not months but years.
we had a thread to talk about the future of the forum and it was there for months as well

90% of the threads in most sections were one off posts with 0 to 1 replies. as well as a ton of spam that went unnoticed. a majority of those were consolidated, with spam and broken links removed.

the consolidation is intended to help new people find things more quickly rather than scrolling through page after page filled with topics on out of date topics about Sim City 2000 questions that had no replies.

Stat wise, there seems to be a bit more activity after the mergers and streamlining than a few months before.

it did unfortunately mess up some of your bookmarks.

but you also did not address my question about the specific scale model section above.

·
I <3 Marimba
202 Posts
this is partially due to the new forum's way of changing links
also since this has now been moved to the architecture section. which hopefully brings more attention as its at the top of the page rather than being tucked all the way in Fun forums.

the section is now much more organized and smaller so threads could be much quicker to find (there's less than 10 pages)
in the last 2 weeks there's been more updates since the movement
than in 2 months.

that said I'm not against the idea of moving scale elsewhere.
the question is..should it be a sub forum of this section
or a separate section under the same category

once moved, you do realize its going to be quite tiny
i completely understand that views and activity are important from an admin perspective. i agree our forum has been slow and a new recategorization would shrink the subforum.

unfortunately, we also are a very small community and not much new members coming online like it was 10 years ago. for a fresh new modeler coming to the forum to explore the delights of our hobby, it would be discouraging to have to sift through all of the tags just to find a specific model or conversation.

separating all the scale model threads into our own subforum like before would make navigation easier and would get us the views from people who are looking for us instead of accidental views.

it felt like, once upon a time, there was a forum moderator that filtered out all the spam convos, deleted old irrelevant threads and redirected posts to the correct threads. if this is not an existing role, i guess that is your role, ryukyu, and we appreciate the work you folks are doing. a little consideratiom for our needs is all we ask for! :)

·
I <3 Marimba
202 Posts
oh, and to address the location, yes i think it should be a subforum of the member designs folder. maybe even tagging us towards the top of the page the way "proposed" skyscrapers are pinned at the top of their respective forums too

·
I <3 Marimba
202 Posts
thanks for the feedback.
although it is a bit surprising that only the Scale group want the subforum back.
so you all are okay with the others (2d, 3d and in game built design) staying together
i think the problem is specific to our subforum because our work is more of a collectable catalogue of models versus just a gallery in the other sections. most of the work done in our forum is once in a lifetime work that is unlikely to be duplicated and keeping it all together keeps us from losing track of these unique projects.

i think we should allow more members of the scale group to give some input. so far it seems seffm, spidey, and myself are onboard. there are several key contributors to our subforum that have probably mot realized what is going on and i think their opinioms should be considered as well.

·
I <3 Marimba
202 Posts
also, our projects can take months or years before completiom due to most of us starting the hobby a decade ago as teens and are now adult full time workers, or uni students, etc. hence the lapse in posts in our section. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just to add: while the writing was on the walls due to our subforum inactivity (scale models), I'd still prefer a way to keep it separated from the others. Not due to some sort of elitism, but just an easier access to the various personal threads, since they are usually a compilation of years of work. Would love to have new blood in this hobby, and would gladly help to give starters a guide on "HOW TO". I also believe there's a strong overlap between models, 2d and 3d modelling. To separate us from the creative corner migh be a solution

1 - 20 of 22 Posts