Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know, why is it that the Chinese allow their cities to become sabotaged by rows and rows of disgusting commieblocks? Beautiful cities like Qingdao, Dalian, Suzhou, Hangzhou Shanghai, Harbin, Guangzhou, etc. all have massive commieblocks that surround skyscrapers. They totally butcher what would otherwise be amazing cities. Why do they not learn a thing or two from the Japanese, European, or American urban planners? Like the old cities of Shanghai, Harbin, Guangzhou, Xiamen all have beautiful picturesque windy streets with unique buildings coming up to the sidewalk. But the newer developments have just ugly commieblocks for as far as the eye can see. This is atrocious and I want to know why they can't adopt the same city planning that Tokyo or Taipei has. Do the Chinese honestly believe that commieblocks are aesthetically pleasing? Or what are they thinking!?!?!?!!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Well commie blocks arent nice but they are cheaper to built and faster to complete enough to fill in the demands from people moving into the cities. Don't forget not everyone can afford luxury housing. Commie blocks are for the common people while those nice apartment highrises of course are for wealthier people. And since there are still a lot of low income people naturally theres more commie blocks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would like to know, why is it that the Chinese allow their cities to become sabotaged by rows and rows of disgusting commieblocks? Beautiful cities like Qingdao, Dalian, Suzhou, Hangzhou Shanghai, Harbin, Guangzhou, etc. all have massive commieblocks that surround skyscrapers. They totally butcher what would otherwise be amazing cities. Why do they not learn a thing or two from the Japanese, European, or American urban planners? Like the old cities of Shanghai, Harbin, Guangzhou, Xiamen all have beautiful picturesque windy streets with unique buildings coming up to the sidewalk. But the newer developments have just ugly commieblocks for as far as the eye can see. This is atrocious and I want to know why they can't adopt the same city planning that Tokyo or Taipei has. Do the Chinese honestly believe that commieblocks are aesthetically pleasing? Or what are they thinking!?!?!?!!

same feeling about the European and North American cities.

when in European, i was sick why tons of EUROPEAN cities are ALL the same, the more cities you visited , the more borinig feeling you can get. what the hell! ALL these cities are just copied from One ?

same feeling about North American, ALL cities are basically the same! all resident houses are virtually the same! one or two stories ,a patch of green land,then...boring again.

what the hell of the innovation ?what's the problems of European and North Amercian cities?

·
Registered
25,151 Posts
I hate all those old cheap commie blocks too, I hope they'll demolish them all little by little. On the other hand, I love nice blocks surrounded by gardens, etc such as these:

·
My Heart is with Beijing.
1,737 Posts
Those "commieblocks" were built when China even couldn't feed its people. That was efficient and cheap.
Just think of the huge population, it's another reason.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
the old Shanghai has beautiful European mansinos and shikumen, the price you pay for that is it also had big area of slums?
now the slums have all become commieblocks, get it?
Tokyo and Taipei also have commieblocks.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I hate all those old cheap commie blocks too, I hope they'll demolish them all little by little. On the other hand, I love nice blocks surrounded by gardens, etc such as these:

I hope when they build apartment towers in the future they use as much glass as possible, I dont know if it adds to the cost, maybe it does but I assume it can't be much, Toronto is also undergoing a condo boom and many of the buildings are very boxy and are otherwise boring without glasses, but because they are so glassy they are actually very neat and pleasant.

something like this would be nice for Shanghai.

·
Registered
25,151 Posts
Those "commieblocks" were built when China even couldn't feed its people. That was efficient and cheap.
Yep. But now it's time to demolish them all little by little, don't you think :D

I agree with Sen, glass rocks. But they should build taller and taller. Imagine the riverfront of Shanghai or any other city with a lot of 50+, 70+ and even some 100~ luxury residential towers :banana: I hope they will demolish all those low rises with red and blue roofs in inner Pudong and build tens of glassy blocks some day.

·
♥사랑해요♥
658 Posts
same feeling about the European and North American cities.

when in European, i was sick why tons of EUROPEAN cities are ALL the same, the more cities you visited , the more borinig feeling you can get. what the hell! ALL these cities are just copied from One ?

same feeling about North American, ALL cities are basically the same! all resident houses are virtually the same! one or two stories ,a patch of green land,then...boring again.

what the hell of the innovation ?what's the problems of European and North Amercian cities?
Some of you turn always into a defensive position when someone makes a friendly critic towards china :lol:

I don't know about what "problem" are you talking about. Every country or continent follow a same pattern for building modern neighborhoods. That pattern split into several styles depending of the area: for rich, wealthy, average income areas and low income areas...

If that makes all European cities to look all the same and boring, then, we can say the same about chinese cities, right? Because usually is used one same pattern. But I see it kinda narrowminded to "worth" cities at this way and say all are boring and all the same...

As for chinese commie blocks, I don't care very much, because as soon as they get useless they will get demolished as we see now. The good thing of china is that they don't demolish a building only because the building is old, but also because there were a plan created that takes advantage of the space, making it more useful...

·
Chop your passport!!!
42 Posts
When I was reading the google satellite map of Chinese cities, I saw the same thing: commieblocks
They are everywhere, even just a few miles away from the newest financial district of Shanghai.
Yeah, they are ugly. This is a subjective point, but I think it's the common view.
Unless the wealth structure in China changes, which will then trigger demographic changes and hence renovate the old urban fabric, these commieblocks will remain there as cheap housing for the poor.
I think most apartment blocks in Manhattan look hideous too, but at least they are laid out organically so they still look natural. But those in Chinese cities are just......artificially planned! I think that's probably why they look so "ugly" both as a single building and as a bunch whole.

In the case of Japanese cities, most people still prefer to live in small detached suburban houses. Those houses could be relatively affordable for the majority even during the hard time after the war. I don't understand why this wasn't the case in Chinese cities. They are not as crowded as Japanese cities but they built massive cheap commieblocks instead of cheap wooden houses like those in Japan.

Also think about Seoul and Taipei, where the majority live in apartments. But still, they look more "organic" than those in China.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^

EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!

i understand that china needs to house millions of poor people. They can do it in a much more organic and aesthetically pleasing fashion. I mean instead of building commieblocks why not build them organically? Like in Seoul or Taipei? I understand they do have commieblocks too, but commieblocks arent their entire city. you can still build cheaper housing without resorting to rows and rows of monotonous commieblocks

·
Banned
886 Posts
^^
"Tokyo and Taipei have better city planning than Chinese cities."
Give me a break. Actually, I see Tokyo and Taipei are very poorly planed. I don't like those houses in Tokyo and Taipei at all. In Tokyo, it is difficult to find a straight street.

Commieblocks are most economic and efficient way for housing poor people. Although they are not very aesthetic, to me they are better than small and disorganized houses in Tokyo and Taipei.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Yikes! I was in Beijing just a week ago, and it seems like all the new developments are pretty much commie blocks. Right across from my hotel, they were digging the holes from 4-5 previous city blocks to build about 30 identical looking and ugly towers (from the giant poster they had advertising the place).

The architecture in lots of China is abyssmal, but then again, it's pretty much the same as a lot of other Asian cities, even Hong Kong, although I do like the Tang Dynasty remake buildings in Xi'an.

Really I don't think this will change ever. The fact is, it's much cheaper to build identical looking buildings, and they will need to for a long time yet. And even if they WERE rich like Hong Kong, it's still cheaper. It's pretty much the same idea as identical looking subdivisions in North America.

·
My Heart is with Beijing.
1,737 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
well the higher end apartments in Seoul look better than the ones in China, more refined look, even the higher end apartment towers in Chinese cities have no taste and look as tacky as the average ones.
I also think Taipei is a bad example, I mean this city is FAMOUS for bad (or nonexistent) city planning, even Taiwanese will admit it. Everything is so hastily built and the apartment blocks there not only look boring and tacky, but also dirty.
LZ please get real.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright yea, i didnt think South Korea was THAT bad. I was aware that in the outskirts of Seoul, you start to have masses of commieblocks but I always thought it was kinda nice cuz it adds character. But those pics kinda show that they tend to overdo it also. I'm not saying zero commieblocks is good. Its nice to have them from time to time if they are built sparingly. Like I take the LIRR everyday and I pass by rows and rows of commieblocks in Queens built exactly like those in Asia and Eastern Europe. But used sparingly like in NYC, where they exist in parts of Brooklyn and Queens, they are kinda nice. Its only when they form nearly the entire city is when they are objectionable. I remember seeing pics of Harbin where there was a nice, organic Russian core with some skyscrapers in the background, which is really nice but then surrounded by hideous commieblocks. I mean we all agree that this butchers the city right? I mean building cheap housing in block form can't be that much more expensive can it? Just take a look:

Seoul

Taipei

Kaohsiung

versus
Shanghai

Dalian

You see what I mean about natural vs. monotonously planned? I mean if you look at the Taipei, Seoul, and Kaohsiung buildings, most of it looks like cheaper housing. Is the way they build it so much more expensive? The way I see it, these is so much more aesthetically pleasing than what Mainland China's been doing. Why is it so hard for them to construct buildings like that? They were able to do it during the Republican and Qing Dynasty era...

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Why is it so hard for them to construct buildings like that? They were able to do it during the Republican and Qing Dynasty era...
I think it's hard for Chinese to buy a slum looking houses in stead of a commieblock looking apartment if there're only two choices.

PS,I think those commieblocks in Shanghai pics you posted were built for the people who lived in slums that were demolished due to reconstruction.

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
frankly speaking, NYC's plan is the best in the world.
chinese new commic blocks are all very morden and beautiful.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts