SkyscraperCity Forum banner
81 - 100 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts

Bit of a old article but hopefully this new wave of architectural design using hard-material, texture facades comes much more to manchesters tall buildings one day. The tomb stone development although not the best is at least giving us something different on the skyline.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The Mancunian weather has a part to play, glass is just much better suited to the constant drizzle.

In fact the biggest problem with GJS isn't that it's glass, it' just the same grey box + random cladding formula. It's notable how much people prefer Elizabeth Tower, still Simpson but not doing the whole grey random wall thing.

Concrete, unless you are using more expensive treatments, weathers really poorly in Manchester. And using a lot of it on large towers probably wouldn't get past the eco-nazis now because of carbon emissions.

I know some on here have a thing for brick, and I like it in its traditional use, but the modern pre-fab unitised brick cladding just tends to look awful, cheap and nasty on pretty much every scheme I've seen in Manchester.

So you're probably left with a metal paneling alternative, and again quality can vary widely.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good points another big reason also probably being that it's cheaper and faster to build glass facade towers than most other alternative materials. I take your point on the weather being a big factor to consider but we can look at many other cities with similar drizzle weather and they have good examples of towers using alternative facades to glass. But I imagine the big stumbling block is the cost compared to your standard glass facade.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Renaker need to be more adventurous with their cladding choices. I liked initial designs of Plot F because it had another material (metal cladding). This allowed the glass to be used just for the windows. I hope that design choice has been carried forward. If the models are anything to go by it certainly looks that way.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
These developments in London could also be inspiration for alternative tower designs for Manchester
Whilst I appreciate what Renaker have done for Manchester, I'm thankful they are not the only developer creating towers and that others want to push boundaries using different materials like brick, glazed terracotta, anodised aluminium, cor-ten steel and pre-cast concrete.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Whilst I appreciate what Renaker have done for Manchester, I'm thankful they are not the only developer creating towers and that others want to push boundaries using different materials like brick, glazed terracotta, anodised aluminium, cor-ten steel and pre-cast concrete.
While I agree, it only seems like the majority are developments that are under 100m that seems to pushing boundaries when it comes to cladding materials

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
While I agree, it only seems like the majority are developments that are under 100m that seems to pushing boundaries when it comes to cladding materials
And of those over 100m – Union Towers (anodised aluminium), Angel Gardens (anodised bronze aluminium), Oxygen (pre-cast concrete), Anchorage gateway (Brick), Circle Square (glazed terracotta), Manchester Tower (combination of brick and aluminium), Gasworks Tower (cor-ten), Victoria Riverside (anodised aluminium), Student Tower (brick), Park Place (brick and pre-cast concrete). My point is there are plenty of towers from other developers which have used different materials, and it's those which are far more interesting imo. Give me the new tower from Jon Matthews at Ramada over The Blade and Three60 any day of the week.

·
Registered
156 Posts
And of those over 100m – Union Towers (anodised aluminium), Angel Gardens (anodised bronze aluminium), Oxygen (pre-cast concrete), Anchorage gateway (Brick), Circle Square (glazed terracotta), Manchester Tower (combination of brick and aluminium), Gasworks Tower (cor-ten), Victoria Riverside (anodised aluminium), Student Tower (brick), Park Place (brick and pre-cast concrete). My point is there are plenty of towers from other developers which have used different materials, and it's those which are far more interesting imo. Give me the new tower from Jon Matthews at Ramada over The Blade and Three60 any day of the week.
I mean they are not on the scale of 150m+ that i was kind of referring to, but i take your point.

·
Registered
507 Posts
View attachment 2351993
Don't know if these towers are still planned for Manchester. But this is the kind of diversity I like to see more of
F##k me sideways, these can't come quickly enough, the rest of GJS is identikit clones. Initially enjoyed the first few towers and Victoria/Elizabeth are stunners, but the rest really are mind-numbing now.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If they get built I'll run down Deansgate naked. (for the love of God don't bookmark this post)
For the good of Manchester, I hope we see you in all your glory very soon. Contrary to Standeman's advice, I'd say a scorching hot summer's evening is your best bet if you want to retain some dignity.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Apologies - I've missed a fair bit of action on this forum and will probably struggle to catch up.

Were there a few low rise (ish) builds planned for this area a few years ago? Brick/stone if I recall but rather good looking if I recall.

81 - 100 of 227 Posts