SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 6494 Posts

·
Banned
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I lived in Plymouth for 6 mounths in 2002. I heard about a massive redevelopment project. Does anyony have any pictures or information?

·
Registered
449 Posts
rickster2k said:
Are they knocking down that Civic Tower, i heard it had concrete cancer.

A nice new shiny tower would be good there!
I doubt it, the civic centre will probably stay there another 50 years until it rots and falls down itself.

People in Plymouth don’t want nice shiny glass tower’s, they want to keep the ugly concrete cancer towers what makes Plymouth look a mess. I don't know why Plymouth People like to keep these towers I sure don't.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Well the last time i was in Plymouth (Novemeber) there was lots going on - cranes everywhere - I think I remeber Bovis Lend Lease being the ones constructing Drake Circus.

Only saw a glance of Civic Centre, i looked in a bit of a dilapidated state, if they're going to keep it, at least re-clad it or something, but thats councils for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Much is going to happen to Plymouth in the next few years. The city very much missed the boat in the 1990's but this time around I get the feeling it is getting its act together.

The Civic Centre, I believe, is going to stay but with a major (and apparently quite exciting) revamp. An announcement is due this summer.

Drake Circus is due for completion this summer but regrettably was developed on a 15 year old design and I think will look out of date the day it opens. Many views from the outside are of forbidding walls and the whole scheme is too car orientated. See www.drakecircus.com.

There are a number of medium rise (14 story +) developments in the pipeline for the city centre as well as some other major redevelopment projects. This will add to the good work that has already been moving ahead around Sutton Harbour.

The City has developed a masterplan (known as the Mackay plan), which should at least provide development guidance. See http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/homepage/environment/planning/planningdesign/vision.htm#introduction.

Later this year I'd be keen to share a project I am working on with some progressive thinking forumers. I'll be looking for some constructive criticism!

·
Administrator
34,358 Posts
there's also two 18 floor buildings planned. more info when i get them. thanks for turning me on about plymouth guys, its amazing what you can find when you think of looking.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Plymouth is a dark horse so to speak, it's not up there with the big boys like Birmingham or Manchester and it's projects are not particularly high profile but there is actually quite a lot going on there. The last few times I've been there I've noticed some pretty significant changes, though none high-rise. Another two 18 floor buildings would make quite a difference to the city skyline.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gothic your link to http://www.skyscrapernews.com/buildings.php?id=4628 calls this the Drakes Circus tower. This site is currently called The Triangle and has indeed been sold and a tower approved (or so I understand). Drake Circus is another site about 300 metres away opposite the University Campus and next to the new Drake Circus Shopping Mall. Plans have not yet been released (I don't think) although I understand that a tower of some sort is planned for that site too and it is a joint venture one of the partners being P&O. P&O retained an option of the site when they agreed the Mall development.

I myself wanted to buy the Drake Circus site but I was too late.

·
Banned
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I was there in 02' I herd plans about a new airport. Is that still planed?
Any other developmente planed in the surroundings?

1 - 20 of 6494 Posts