SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

First individual thread on this page :banana:.
This will become the tallest building in the SW if ever built, with apartments, offices and retail, it isn't exactly the most functional building in Plymouth
Anyway, this project at the moment is a temporary car park.
It has been onhold since late 2010 due to lack of funding, but this is my personal favourite project in this fantastic city. Its location can be debatable, its right next to the old Reel cinema and the Theatre Royal Car Park. Hmmmmm.......

Here is the current state:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7202868456/ (no bb code)

Official Website: www.devingtonhomes.co.uk/oceanique.php

·
Registered
109 Posts
One of the renders on the Devington Homes website has a building between the Athenaeum and Notte Street where currently there is nothing. My memory tells me it was previously home to a garage.

Are there any proposals for this site?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OCEANIQUE RESTART

Developer vows tallest tower in Plymouth will be built

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Plymouth Herald

THE developer behind stalled plans for a £55million city centre skyscraper has insisted it will be built.

Lawrence Butler, boss of Devington Homes, said he still needs to raise the finance to construct the enormous Oceanique project at Derry's Cross.

At 365 feet tall the building will be more than twice the height of the 174ft, 14-storey Civic Centre – making it the tallest tower in Plymouth.

Despite the project, first announced five years ago, being hit by the credit crunch, Mr Butler confirmed he is in talks with potential backers and is confident the project is on course to go ahead

He said: "We are on the case and will be building it, and work on it every day."

He added: "I'm not sure if we will start on it this year, probably the spring of next year."

Work was originally due to begin on the 500,000sq ft, 32-storey tower plan in 2009. The project, which would include two hotels on the former Foot Anstey/TSW site, will take up to three years to complete once work starts.

Mr Butler confirmed plans had not changed with it still planned to include a 170-bed four- or five-star hotel, another hotel with 140 beds, and 253 student bedrooms in the development which will include commercial space, featuring shops, cafes and a restaurant.

Mr Butler, speaking to The Herald from Spain, said he is in talks with different sets of potential backers about Oceanique.

"What has affected our plans is raising the finance," Mr Butler told The Herald. "These days it's difficult to raise funds."

But he insisted talks were on-going and said: "It's a question of talking to several funders – it's a question of which one to go with.

"We are negotiating so we have the best terms."

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
This would be fantastic for Plymouth, a city so very underated considering it's uncontested catchment zone - practically everything southwest of it.

An interesting design, would be nice for some Plymouth forumer to show some more renders/architectual/planning documents on this if possible?

Good luck, I will be following this! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This would be fantastic for Plymouth, a city so very underated considering it's uncontested catchment zone - practically everything southwest of it.

An interesting design, would be nice for some Plymouth forumer to show some more renders/architectual/planning documents on this if possible?

Good luck, I will be following this! :cheers:
No Problem :)

View from Central Park (to the left of St Peters Church (RC Cathedral) you can make out the old grain silo):

View from Mountbatten: in this image, you can see the proposed Horizon development :banana:

·
Registered
273 Posts
master2k27 said:
Indeed , i hope the next phase is to rebuild the city centre.
I don't think that will ever happen :( there was talk back along that the city centre, could be protected as an urban conservation area. Which would cripple the city. I would be fuming if anything like this was to occur.

This whole fantastic " post war architecture" and " symbolised the vision of a city" crap is beginning to annoy me.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think this deserves a thread in the highrise section, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Not wishing to sound like a neg, but I stand by my statement in the Plymouth thread. I cannot see how this will go ahead!! If Manchester/Birmingham/Leeds can't get a tall on the go with much stronger economies, how the hell is Plymouth!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I hope it does because it will kick start development if such an event was to happen. There is so much excitement and talk around the city about this development.

However there are countless projects planned for plymouth which never ever got of the ground. So I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw it built.

·
User Registered
3,759 Posts
Not wishing to sound like a neg, but I stand by my statement in the Plymouth thread. I cannot see how this will go ahead!! If Manchester/Birmingham/Leeds can't get a tall on the go with much stronger economies, how the hell is Plymouth!!
i agree, we havnt had a tall under construction for almost a decade and i think that decade will be complete before the next one starts even though there was that recent rumour of the regal tower 201m starting the begining of next year.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
i agree, we havnt had a tall under construction for almost a decade and i think that decade will be complete before the next one starts even though there was that recent rumour of the regal tower 201m starting the begining of next year.
Exactly! Look at all those 100m+ proposals that's fell by the ways side in Leeds/Birmingham during the boom times. I'm at a loss as to why a developer believes one is a goer now in Plymouth! If a tall is ever to be built in Plymouth, it'll be student accomm, not a hotel!!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Just looking at the Developers portfolio. They have never done anything on this scale before. Everything previous has been nice, safe appartment developments!

#doubtful

·
Registered
526 Posts
They certainly do seem to be ambitious....
The only similar scheme (it has a tower of sorts) , looks to be the Victoria Parade, Torqua, but that hasn't moved off the drawing board either.
(Though the Torquay scheme looks awful IMO, so thats probably a good thing)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Construction is set to begin between now and June......
Keep an eye on the site to see if anything happens :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts