SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I realized Czech republic 4th largest city does not have a photo thread here. I have not been to Plzeň in last three years, so I put pictures founded on the net. Here we go:

Plzeň

... czech 4th largest city (second in Bohemia), pop 164,000
... best known for the Plzeňský Prazdroj / Pilsner Urquell brewery, world first lager beer brewed here in 1842
... known since 976 as Starý Plzenec
... founded in 1295 next to Starý Plzenec as Nová Plzeň
... center of Western Bohemia
... administrative center of Plzeňský region
... 95 km (60 miles) SW from Prague
... 190 km (120 miles) E from Nuremburg, Germany
... (both connected by highway)
... 255 km (160 miles) NE from Munich, Germany
... located in Plzeň basin surrounded by highlands
... flew connection of Mže, Radbúza, Úhlava and Úslava rivers

Markable tourist sights
... valuable city architecture
... neo-renaissance town hall
... neo-gothic St.Bartholomew Cathedral
... the Great Synagogue (world 3rd largest synagogue after those in Jerusalem and Budapest)
... public library building (former Dominican Monastery)
... J.K.Tyl Theater
... US liberation monument
... historical underground network

Others
... Skoda machinery works (not the car-produce section)
... liberated by US Army in April 1945
... first anti-communist uprising in Soviet Bloc in June 1953

The St.Bartholomew Cathedral

The Republic Square (City central square)

Neo-renassaince Town Hall

Parks around the center

The Great Synagogue

J.K. Tyl Theater

Měšťanská Beseda building

Public library building

Railway station building

Pilsner brewery museum

Entrance to Pilsner brewery

American liberation monument

Aerials

Others

:)

·
Blah blah blah
1,240 Posts
Well, allow me to correct some of the above (now I look like ranting constantly, as 2 out of my 5 posts are correcting someone :shifty:).

The building described as 'J.K. Tyl Theater' is the regional museum. The theatre is the first building described as 'Railway station building'. And there's a regional court on the second photo of the 'railway station' (you can see it from the different angles in the first and third picture in the 'others').

The railway station is this one:

Better photo of the theatre:

'others':
2nd photo - church 'Nanebevzetí Panny Marie' (sorry, I really don't know how to translate 'nanebevzetí') in Franciscan monastery - taken from the 'Šafaříkovy sady'
4th - one of the buildings from the 'Křižíkovy sady'; the man is waving the Pilsen flag
5th - the old water tower (Pražská street)
6th - the church 'Panny Marie růžencové' in the 'Petrohrad' (or is it Slovany there?) district - 'Jiráskovo náměstí'
7th - Masné krámy (medieval meat market), Křižíkovy sady again
8th - Skoda 03T Astra on the intersection near the 3rd gate of Skoda factory (Skvrňanská x Domažlická x Tylova x Vejprnická) :) (and judging by cars, it's taken in the late '90s)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Azbest:

Thanks for correction and supplement :). Sometimes I simplified, and sometimes was even wrong. Honestly, I did not expect existence of anyone from Plzeň on SSC to correct me :D.

If you are from Plzeň, I look forward to your pictures of the city, eventually to urban news from Plzeň and Western Bohemia.

·
Blah blah blah
1,240 Posts
^ Actually I was planning to make some photos of Americká reconstruction, I/20 and I/27 road upgrades this week, but the weather... :eek:hno:

Don't worry, I was quite puzzled by the art-deco church, but I managed to Google it up. And I'm spending most of the week in Plzeň for 7 years now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
useful link

Hi,

I like city of Pilsen as I spent 6 years studying there.I have been living at Bristol (UK) at the present,so I do not have any chance to obtain my own pictures of this beautiful city.
I am from Pilsen region originall:eek:kay:y,so there is Pilsen city like my capital than.

I would like to leave this link here: http://plzen.cz/fotodne-nahledy.php

There is a lot of pictures from Pilsen life and surrounding areas day by day.

I hope it`s going to be useful for anybody to imagine what is Pilsens life about.

Kind Regards
Vena

·
The downtown droid
3,165 Posts
Great town and lovely parks.
The wrong photo for the railway station was weird for me too. :)

... first anti-communist uprising in Soviet Bloc in June 1953
^^ This is the first time I hear about this. Could you tell me some more on it?
Remember that in the meantime (1953 June 16) there was an uprise in East-Germany as well.

·
Seriously Bohemian
428 Posts
The Pilsen uprising occured earlier indeed. It started at night from march 31 on 1st of july 1953 and ended a couple of days later. More on Wiki. It was an absolute taboo in communist times and thanks to the absence of any media coverage remains a little known event until today, despite the uprising was really wide spread and no less bloody than the soviet invasion of 1968.

·
The downtown droid
3,165 Posts
^^ Thanks a lot. Those days the people must have been pretty fed up with the whole system. Apart from the lack of telecommunication, why were the demonstrations not spread to other parts of the country? Prague for instance is quite close to Pilsen...

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
St. Bartholomew Cathedral and it´s Tower (10.6.2009):

The observation deck is located 60 meters above thr ground:

·
Blah blah blah
1,240 Posts
Jojo, a ten výhled... třeba i na Škodovku.
Není nad to spláchnout pak ten výstup jedním (dvěma, ...) nefiltrovaným plzeňským Na parkáně. :cheers:

Jedna pěkná:

·
photographer-amateur
1,876 Posts
Thanks for creating this thread! What does this picture mean?

Ali18 Impressive panoramic views. Are these your shots?

·
photographer-amateur
1,876 Posts
Yes. I spent three weeks in Plzeň and I took many photos of this city.
So - we're looking forward to seeing a lot of photos from there :banana:

·
Blah blah blah
1,240 Posts
What does this picture mean?
This is 'Theatro Mundi' drawing, depicting important historic persons connected with Plzeň. Sadly, I don't know much about it; I should dig in some books for more :)

However, I can tell you something about the camel, because it's - quite strangely - one of the biggest 'celebrities'. First, take a look at the city's coat of arms - he's there as well:

Here's the story:

It all starts in Polish-Teutonic war of 1431-5. Even the Tatar Golden Horde was involved in the conflict during 1432, and this is how the camel actually made it into Europe. Later the Polish king got hold of the camel. In 1433 Poles were assisted by Czech Hussites, and the king gave them the camel as a token of gratitude for their support - it became the mascot of the so called Orphans' army.

Plzeň remained a catholic stronghold during the Hussite wars, and was (unsuccesfully) besieged by the Hussite armies three times between 1427-1434. And in 1433 it was the Orhpans' army leading the siege. The townsmen of Plzeň - despite being outnumbered - launched a surprise attack on the Orphans, undermining their morale and capturing the prized animal. King Siegmund awarded the loyal townsmen with privileges and extended the coat of arms by the symbol of their valour - the camel.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts